Small, Worthy, Unworthy, Undervalued -- You Roll With It!

Zorral

I've always had the goal of averaging over 200 in bowling over an entire season, and have never really come that close.  A few seasons in the 195 range, but never anything higher than that.  Last year I took the year off, but I came back this year, got some new equipment, slowed everything way down - and with ~60 games under my belt I've got my average to 209!  I'm in the top ~5 of my league and am really proud of how much I've improved this year.

Decades ago, in 1953, the skeletal remains of two little boys were found in Vancouver’s famous Stanley Park. The case became known as the Babes in the Wood case. Not only were the murders never solved, the boys were never identified. No one ever reported them missing.

Flash forward 70 years, and DNA was finally extracted from the bones (they were old and had been handled by many people over the years). And a US company that specializes in using public genetic databases found a relative. It is speculated they were murdered with a hatchet by their mother, then hidden deep in the forest, covered by a woman’s coat, back in 1948. A park gardener found them in 1953. The mother died 25 years ago.

I got to caress Cat.  He's a gorgeous, polydactyl short hair, orange tabby, three year old.  I hadn't seen him since last summer.  During this time he's lost all kittenhood, and become a young man, with serious muscled bod, and even more flirtatious and coquettish than he was before, because now, being a man -- achieving that by catching and killing a couple of rats who attempted late last summer to move into the courtyard garden of HIS house -- he's got self-confidence and self-regard by the gallon.  He's appointed himself guardian to hostess's 92-year-old mother, who suffers Alzheimer's, whom he watches over carefully as she knits.  While having dinner, Cat suddenly appeared, fulfilling my hopes for the evening, appointing me for the night his chosen Object to adore him. Mother wasn't in the least put out that her knight was ignoring her, but enjoyed his rolling and playing antics as much as I did.

Almost ran into a deer today. Or at least I am pretty sure I did.

I live in a major city, so not a common occurence for me.

Small backstory. There's an empty house in the neighbourhood (been empty for a few years, ever since the previous tennant died, and the house has a backyard which is left alone). One neighbour told me, that there's deer visiting it for food basically, and being basically left alone otherwise. I am not looking into that yard, as the windows facing into that direction are in kitchen and in the bathroom. So I've never seen it before.

Today when I returned from a grocery run (7-8 pm) for stuff I forgot yesterday. There that thing was dashing across the street maybe 10-15 meters ahead of me. It was quite dark already, but basically, that's the only thing it could have been. It was most definately way too big for an outdoor cat. 

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Almost ran into a deer today. Or at least I am pretty sure I did.

I live in a major city, so not a common occurence for me.

Small backstory. There's an empty house in the neighbourhood (been empty for a few years, ever since the previous tennant died, and the house has a backyard which is left alone). One neighbour told me, that there's deer visiting it for food basically, and being basically left alone otherwise. I am not looking into that yard, as the windows facing into that direction are in kitchen and in the bathroom. So I've never seen it before.

Today when I returned from a grocery run (7-8 pm) for stuff I forgot yesterday. There that thing was dashing across the street maybe 10-15 meters ahead of me. It was quite dark already, but basically, that's the only thing it could have been. It was most definately way too big for an outdoor cat. 

My mom used to be a dialysis patient. Decades ago a group of volunteers got a lease on piece of land from the crown 4 hours north of Toronto and built a dialysis center and cabins so families of dialysis patients could spend a week at a cottage. Since you have to do dialysis three times a week, it’s hard to go on a vacation.

One night during our week we went to a town an hour and a half south and came back around midnight. It was dark, dark, dark. I knew the turn-off was coming up so I slowed down and holy f***, if I hadn’t just braked I would have hit that deer. We could see the whites of it’s eyes it was so close. Scared the crap out of both us!

Fortunately I wasn't driving, but walking with my shopping bag in hand, a bit lost in thought as I tend to be.

Suddenly this shadow was dashing across the street. And I was like. WTF was that? Then I recalled a neighbour telling me about that deer a few weeks ago, and as that made sense, I was perfectly satisfied with that explanation. No sure way of telling, whether it had indeed been the mystery deer. When I arrived at the point where we would have run into each other it was already gone.  I contemplated checking out that abandoned backyard to confirm my theory. But like I said it was already quite dark, so I probably couldn't have seen much. And I didn't see the point of bothering it. 

This fall a friend who lives inside a small town in Maryland twice had deer jump a series of enclosed high garden walls in the back of the houses on the block and crash into her living room through the sliding glass doors and tear through her house.

As the Game and Wildlife service personnel repeat every fall, "Now's the time whatever brains deer had have gone out the door," as they collect deer carcass after carcass from the highways and roads due to collision with vehicles.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:16 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Wordle is strangely addictive. Got today's in three lines which was a first (only been playing for a few days now).

Equalled that. And English is not my first language. So do better. Yes, just came here to brag and shame you. 

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Equalled that. And English is not my first language. So do better. Yes, just came here to brag and shame you. 

I've gotten some in two since then. And to be fair it must be hard for you given the German version is six chances to make up a new twelve letter word. :P

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've gotten some in two since then. And to be fair it must be hard for you given the German version is six chances to make up a new twelve letter word. :P

Actually the German version is slightly more difficult imho. Those annoying 3 extra vowels (Ä.Ö,Ü).

I mean (my) basic approach to solve wordles

1. RADIO (eliminates three vowels, R is a super common consonant. D isn't horrible either)

2. Try to shuffle yellow letters around and/or try to check up on the letter E (add U and S/T if possible). Now we reach the point where English and German somewhat differ. In English Y is further up the food chain as a semi-vowel, than it is in German. 

Worst case scenario it should put you in solution territory. 

Lower number of attempts takes a bit of luck. 

To buy a big expensive book or not to buy a big expensive book?

On one hand, I already have it as a PDF (institutional access). On the other hand ... it might come useful many times in the future, and it is easier to leaf through and ... book. :read: 

(In fact, I am just procrastinating and avoiding what I should actually be doing - that is, to read another book I already had delivered.)

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Just do what every college student does in those situation.

Put the pdf on an USB stick. Go to a copy shop. Print it out. Have it bound. 

:read:

It's more than 600 pages. At this point I might just order it online. And it will look prettier on a bookshelf. :P

32 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

It's more than 600 pages. At this point I might just order it online. And it will look prettier on a bookshelf. :P

What happened to don't judge a book by its cover?

You big phoney, :P

Archived