The Good King Aerys, second of his name. Vs Tywin Lannister, the Golden Hand. (Part 1)

AlaskanSandman

3 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

I think you might be expecting too much attention to detail from GRRM. For example, Tyrion meeting Catelyn at the Inn of the Crossroads makes no geographic sense when you consider the distance both are traveling across Westeros. Jaime entering through the king's door & killing Rossart shortly before that is from his memory. Where do you think he could have killed Rossart if not at a postern gate and why would he say something different?

Im not sure that he did or didnt kill Rossart at the postern gate. Going off what Jamie say's and thinks though, 

A Storm of Swords - Jaime V

"It fell to me to hold the Red Keep, but I knew we were lost. I sent to Aerys asking his leave to make terms. My man came back with a royal command. 'Bring me your father's head, if you are no traitor.' Aerys would have no yielding. Lord Rossart was with him, my messenger said. I knew what that meant.
"When I came on Rossart, he was dressed as a common man-at-arms, hurrying to a postern gate. I slew him first. Then I slew Aerys, before he could find someone else to carry his message to the pyromancers. Days later, I hunted down the others and slew them as well. Belis offered me gold, and Garigus wept for mercy. Well, a sword's more merciful than fire, but I don't think Garigus much appreciated the kindness I showed him."

Yet, for a guy in such a hurry, he took the time to loop around the castle to enter from the rear. This would give another pyromancer the chance to carry another message and get out through the main door closest to the postern gates, while Jamie was in the back of the castle. While intentionally putting on his Gold Armor that day, and seeming to know that he would never betray his father and take his head.

On 1/12/2022 at 11:16 PM, AlaskanSandman said:

This would give another pyromancer the chance to carry another message and get out through the main door closest to the postern gates, while Jamie was in the back of the castle.

We know that two pyromancers survived that day, and Jaime only hunted them down later. Which does make it seem questionable that he would have to kill them at all, since they plainly hadn't blown up the city (or anything noticeable) during that time.

8 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

We know that two pyromancers survived that day, and Jaime only hunted them down later. Which does make it seem questionable that he would have to kill them at all, since they plainly hadn't blown up the city (or anything noticeable) during that time.

Maybe im being too mistrusting of Jamie, but I can't help but feel he's hiding something. The point about the Pyromancers being suicidal is a good point too. Aerys believing he'd turn into a dragon is one thing, were they crazier than Aerys? Aerys at least has some grounds to think his madness as his family is connected to the dragons.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:08 PM, AlaskanSandman said:

The point about the Pyromancers being suicidal is a good point too. Aerys believing he'd turn into a dragon is one thing, were they crazier than Aerys?

Like I said, I created a thread asking just that question. We only have Jaime's speculation that Aerys himself intended to be reborn as a dragon, so we can't even be sure Aerys himself was that suicidal (though what he says does indicate he accepts he can't beat Robert and can only destroy anything Robert might win). I think Jaime has limited information about the wildfire plot, which was deliberately kept secret from most and for which Jaime himself did not have a "need to know" role.

Archived