Watch, Watching, Watch -- Keep the change you filthy animal!

DireWolfSpirit

Watching The Great on Hulu and absolutely love it. My mom turned me into it and it’s fucking hilarious. Highly recommended if you’d be interested in a raunchy, historical, hilarious, period piece about Katherine the Great in Russia. 

On 1/5/2022 at 7:10 PM, Ramsay B. said:

I’ve watched 5 episodes of Station Eleven and loving every second of it. It’s really well done and the cast has been great. Nice to see Lori Petty too. I didn’t recognize her at first but knew that voice instantly.

How is nobody else talking about this show? It’s fantastic

I caught up with Doctor Who over the holidays (The Flux - terrible title - and the New Year special) and was pleasantly surprised by how much better it seemed than in its recent series. The Flux was undeniably crazy and had a terrible title plus glam rock skeletons for some reason, but, eh. It was pacey and had a sense of fun, so I'm not complaining. And the special concentrated on a contained setting (a building for long-term storage, can't get much more contained than that) which tends to suit the show better than save-the-multiverse plots anyway. 

Plus, there was Liverpool! (And bits of Cardiff pretending to be Liverpool). 

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I’ve seen it mentioned numerous times on here. I gave it a try since I saw someone say people that liked The Leftovers would be into it. They were right. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I’ve seen it mentioned numerous times on here. I gave it a try since I saw someone say people that liked The Leftovers would be into it. They were right. 

Yup, both are very compelling and have similar style and themes… with incredible casts with great scores. 

I also did start it because a few people here mentioned it a few pages back, but agree that it should be talked about more. Best series I’ve seen in a while.

And I just finished ep 7 which was amazing. 

Not sure about anywhere else, but station 11 isn't on one of the 'big' streaming services in the UK so probably most aren't even aware it exists.

Was my book of the year a few years back so I'm hoping it is more easily available soon.

This is getting extremely confusing. The Battlestar Galactica reboot reboot (Galactica 3.0) is moving forwards, slowly, and the previously-separate feature film and TV projects are now said to be in a shared universe.

So far, we've had the TV show being helmed by Sam Esmail of Mr. Robot fame, which was incredibly promising and was said to be in-continuity with the Ronald Moore show (Galactica 2.0). However, Esmail then stepped back to a co-writer on the pilot and a producer whilst Michael Lesslie - who has done absolutely nothing of note bar the Assassin's Creed movie, which was terrible - was announced as showrunner. He then said that the show would not be in continuity with 2.0 and would instead be a total reboot of the premise. Esmail later said that was wrong and it would still be in continuity with the RDM vision.

Then Universal announced they were continuing to develop Bryan Singer's previous movie project, though without Singer for immediately obvious reason. Presumably after scraping through the bottom of the barrel and getting halfway to Earth's core, they decided to employ professional X-Men franchise fucker-upper Simon Kinberg (fresh after shitting Invasion onto Apple+) as the film's writer. Again, it was going to be a totally fresh take on the premise, leading to the bizarre possibility of two different versions of the same story proceeding simultaneously on screen.

Now the film and TV series are set in a shared universe, but it's unclear what exactly that means, especially since the TV show seems much closer to being greenlit than the movie (which still doesn't have a director even tenuously attached). Although neither has been given the final go-ahead, so the whole thing could soon collapse and nothing come of it at all.

32 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not sure about anywhere else, but station 11 isn't on one of the 'big' streaming services in the UK so probably most aren't even aware it exists.

Was my book of the year a few years back so I'm hoping it is more easily available soon.

That's weird. It's on StarzPlay at the end of the month (basically a paid addition to Amazon Prime) rather than Sky/NowTV like almost all other HBO projects have been since 2011.

I wonder if the Sky-HBO alliance (which almost bankrolled Game of Thrones in its entirety) is coming to an end, which is weird given Sky just renamed their main channel for the past 30+ years after HBO Max.

14 minutes ago, Werthead said:

That's weird. It's on StarzPlay at the end of the month (basically a paid addition to Amazon Prime) rather than Sky/NowTV like almost all other HBO projects have been since 2011.

I have drawn a line in the sand, I'm not paying for any more services.

I have sky, prime, netflix and Disney plus. If I can't find anything to watch it's because I'm clearly not in the mood. 

I just ditched Now TV and would ditch Apple, but apparently For All Mankind might be back as soon as next month (which is how they hook you, of course) and Apple is ludicrously cheap. Weirdly, because it's Apple.

I might get a months worth of Starzplay because it would mean I could watch The Great and Station 11 together, making it worth it. 

Over xmas I got a Now TV subscription so my partner could watch the dire Sex in the City series, and I watched Succession. Might keep it for a bit if I want to watch Gommorah but otherwise won't bother.

Got Disney plus too, just to see if its any good. It actually has more non disney stuff on there than I thought, but still wouldn't really bother as I watched half of the Boba Fett show, realised it was just a more boring Mandolorian. Then I watched some of the Hawkeye show and realised it just one more thing where they sideline the main male character to put more strong female leads on, so thats out. Plus it was boring.

Apple TV actually had pretty good movies on there, but its paid for content is so small it feels like its the Amazon Prime model, its cheap because you have to pay for a lot of the other stuff.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I might get a months worth of Starzplay because it would mean I could watch The Great and Station 11 together, making it worth it. 

There is a seven-day free trial, so it might be worth waiting until the shows you want are available in full to watch and then binge them.

Got Disney plus too, just to see if its any good. It actually has more non disney stuff on there than I thought, but still wouldn't really bother as I watched half of the Boba Fett show, realised it was just a more boring Mandolorian. Then I watched some of the Hawkeye show and realised it just one more thing where they sideline the main male character to put more strong female leads on, so thats out. Plus it was boring.

Clint isn't the "main character" of Hawkeye. It was set up as a passing-of-the-torch show from him to Kate, and they are two main characters, as in the source material.

Apple TV actually had pretty good movies on there, but its paid for content is so small it feels like its the Amazon Prime model, its cheap because you have to pay for a lot of the other stuff.

Apple TV has several outstanding shows (For All MankindMythic Quest), enough to justify a brief sub, but it does need more.

I currently only subscribe to Netflix and piggyback on my Parent's Sky subscription using SkyGo. I begrudge any other subscriptions although I'll probably renew Amazon Prime to watch the final series of the Expanse once a few other shows are released.

In the meantime I've mostly been using Sky to catch up on some older shows I never saw and some newer US shows. Most recently alternating 30 Rock (enjoyable, I prefer Parks and Rec though) and Yellowjackets (Holy fuckballs. Yes I know there is a thread. I'm behind though so I won't read it yet).

Also watched Don't Look Up which was fine, I guess. 

And Nicole Byer's Netflix comedy special, which I loved. She always makes me laugh. I listen to one of her podcasts and I'll often end up laughing out loud in the street and getting people to stare at me

12 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

We talked about it a bit a few weeks ago. 

I'm going to rewatch it before the finale next week. And now I definitely want to read the book, too.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

they decided to employ professional X-Men franchise fucker-upper Simon Kinberg (fresh after shitting Invasion onto Apple+) as the film's writer.

Hey now, he only failed spectacularly at adapting the Phoenix saga twice.  Give him a third try and he may only fail ordinarily.

Archived