Watch, Watching, Watch -- Keep the change you filthy animal!

DireWolfSpirit

4 Episodes into Station 11 and it really is a fantastic show. My other half asked at the end of the second episode .."what is this show actually about?". It can be hard for people expecting quite a straightforward narrative, which is what I think that first episode suggests in some way. That each episode tends to bounce around so often might put a lot of people off, but I am totally onboard with what I'm seeing. 

The end of episode 4 totally crushed me however:

Spoiler

Seeing those little girls with landmines attached to them, and being presented in a way that wasn't dissimilar to the twins in the Shining really sticks in your head. 

What it has made me think about is how the sad demise of mainstream movie making has simply been taken over by high quality long form tv shows. I mean we knew this already, but there was such a celebration of the *hugely overrated* Last Duel, even by me, because a large budget movie had been made that wasn't about superheroes, because it felt like such an oddity in todays climate.

But I am watching Station 11, I just finished Succession (one of the best things I've ever seen), I can't wait to see the next season of The Great, Midnight Mass was better than most horror movies I've watched. I could reel off any number of tv shows which I'm looking forward to or don't have the time to see. 
I guess I just have to adapt to the new reality that heyday of movies are behind us. Unless something changes.

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I'm wondering what triggered so many people here at the same time waking up and realizing what a great film The Last Duel is :D 

I'm guessing it's because it was released on HBO Max last week (at least here in the US).

Easy question to answer. The Last Duel is now available here at home, w/o the risk of spending two hours plus (the coming, the going, etc.) among the massively covid infected local and national populace. Also w/o spending more for the movie theater ticket than the monthly fee for HBO. :P

9 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Only the question wasn't why so many people watched it, rather why so many people liked it, though. ;)

So many people liked it because so many people watched it!  

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

I'm guessing it's because it was released on HBO Max last week (at least here in the US).

Yep, and people here were talking about it. This thread is a good word of mouth source, hence why a bunch of people recently picked up on Station Eleven and Yellowjackets. I probably wouldn’t have checked out either show without reading about them here.

It only released on Disney+ here in Sweden a day or two ago.

20th Century Studios is a subsidiary of Disney, but in 2012 20th Century signed an exclusive deal with HBO to get first crack at domestic cable airing of their films that is still operational through 2022. Hence, Disney+ has it everywhere else, but HBO will  get it and other 20th Century Studios films through the next year.

ETA: Broadly right, but they adjusted the deal for 2022 so that there's some co-streaming as well for some films -- apparently both HBO Max and Disney+ started streaming Free Guy at the same time in the US?

Linda and I started Station Eleven, and were compelled to push on through the third episode. It is really very, very good, and very intriguing. Danielle Deadwyler's performance in the third episode is particularly terrific.

Thanks everyone for the answers ;) Glad that so many people saw it (and to see it, is to like it with the sole exception of the group { @Heartofice } :P).

I wish more films like this were still being made and every official watch helps to get us there I'd say.

21 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Thanks everyone for the answers ;) Glad that so many people saw it (and to see it, is to like it with the sole exception of the group { @Heartofice } :P).

I wish more films like this were still being made and every official watch helps to get us there I'd say.

Well, yeah, i wish more good films were being made, and I'm not really unhappy to have spent money on the Last Duel as it might encourage someone less washed up than Ridley Scott to go make a better movie that isn't a sequel to something!

But actually, going back to my point, maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe we just all embrace the new age of good tv and don't linger too long on the current state of the movie industry.

Is the film really over-praised? I think not. Metacritic has it at 67, which I think may be a touch low but perfectly defensible. I know some have suggested it’s the best thing Scott has done since Alien and Bladerunner, and de gustibus, etc., but I think in the critical landscape very few would go that far. I wouldn’t.

It should have done better box office, I think we can all agree, though. 

25 minutes ago, Ran said:

Is the film really over-praised? I think not. Metacritic has it at 67, which I think may be a touch low but perfectly defensible. I know some have suggested it’s the best thing Scott has done since Alien and Bladerunner, and de gustibus, etc., but I think in the critical landscape very few would go that far. I wouldn’t.

It should have done better box office, I think we can all agree, though. 

I'd say 67% or 7.4 on IMDB is probably about right. The movie is certainly very much hyped up as 'proper cinema' and I've seen quite a few critics giving it top marks (although others like Kermode were very mixed on it). On here it seems to be very highly praised, and I get that its not been a good year for movies and in the current climate it might stand out, but up against actual good movies I don't think it stands up at all.

51 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I'd say 67% or 7.4 on IMDB is probably about right. The movie is certainly very much hyped up as 'proper cinema' and I've seen quite a few critics giving it top marks (although others like Kermode were very mixed on it). On here it seems to be very highly praised, and I get that its not been a good year for movies and in the current climate it might stand out, but up against actual good movies I don't think it stands up at all.

"Actual good movies", I'm not sure why this one isn't one. But it's not a great movie, in my mind. 

20 minutes ago, Ran said:

"Actual good movies", I'm not sure why this one isn't one. But it's not a great movie, in my mind. 

Ok Actually Great Movies. 

Anyway.. why have I never seen Kung Pow: Way of the Fist before? This is maybe the funniest thing I've seen in years. I'm depressed I didn't see this when I was younger, it would have been on repeat in my room! 

On 1/20/2022 at 4:20 AM, Heartofice said:

4 Episodes into Station 11 and it really is a fantastic show. My other half asked at the end of the second episode .."what is this show actually about?". It can be hard for people expecting quite a straightforward narrative, which is what I think that first episode suggests in some way. That each episode tends to bounce around so often might put a lot of people off, but I am totally onboard with what I'm seeing. 

The end of episode 4 totally crushed me however:

Hide contents

Seeing those little girls with landmines attached to them, and being presented in a way that wasn't dissimilar to the twins in the Shining really sticks in your head. 

What it has made me think about is how the sad demise of mainstream movie making has simply been taken over by high quality long form tv shows. I mean we knew this already, but there was such a celebration of the *hugely overrated* Last Duel, even by me, because a large budget movie had been made that wasn't about superheroes, because it felt like such an oddity in todays climate.

But I am watching Station 11, I just finished Succession (one of the best things I've ever seen), I can't wait to see the next season of The Great, Midnight Mass was better than most horror movies I've watched. I could reel off any number of tv shows which I'm looking forward to or don't have the time to see. 
I guess I just have to adapt to the new reality that heyday of movies are behind us. Unless something changes.

I thought it was pretty obviously about the human need to make art

Archived