Spider-man: No Way Home [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

37 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah that low key bugged me too. It makes no sense. Like how do MJ and Ned think they met? Won't she look at her phone and see all these texts and pictures of her former boyfriend? But I guess it's magic so whatever. I can assume it was really like a multiverseish spell that affected phones and just re-wrote the past where it needed to be done. 

My least troublesome headcanon is that it’s a “that doesn’t really look like anything to me” situation, people see the evidence and just ignore it. Which is still quite a thing, an ongoing worldwide mindfuck cos Peter screwed up. But it has more of a ‘magic’ feel to it, which deleting text messages and replacing them with plausible other texts to not leave a weird gap just … doesn’t.

50 minutes ago, Denvek said:

I haven't either, but Eddie's disappearance was just like everyone else's and clearly wasn't something Venom was doing from the dialogue. The implication there is that there is a Spider-Man in the Venom universe, and it's Peter Parker, and Eddie/Venom knows that.

Ah yea, that’s true. One theory I saw was that Venom kinda remembers Peter through the multiverse cos he’s all all up in the multiverse, so it was Venom who was the actual target if the spell, dragging Brock along with him.

I have to say, as much as I enjoyed the film, I don’t like being pulled out of the narrative with knowledge of what’s going on in real life, and this did that an awful lot for an MCU film. Eddie was there to give the MCU a Venom. Matt Murdock was there as an Easter egg to DD fans, not for the plot. No one remembers Peter cos they wanted to soft reboot him, unencumbered by the rest of the MCU. And so on. 

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Ah yea, that’s true. One theory I saw was that Venom kinda remembers Peter through the multiverse cos he’s all all up in the multiverse, so it was Venom who was the actual target if the spell, dragging Brock along with him.

I guess if Venom is somehow multiversal and Tom Hardy's Venom has the same knowledge as Tobey Maguire's Venom, that would be enough to get him caught in the spell.

I really enjoyed it! Loved both Maguire and Garfield, but also all the other returning characters. It was such a unique opportunity and I’m glad they took it. The best part of the film was the interplay between the characters old and new and the references to how silly some of the films have been. “Max was such a great guy until he fell into that vat of electric eels.”

Funny and heartfelt, silly but with very serious moments. I only wish there were more.

I’m so glad they showed Green Goblin’s helmet and then smashed it. Why cast someone with the face of a goblin if you’re going to cover it up?

4 hours ago, Denvek said:

I guess if Venom is somehow multiversal and Tom Hardy's Venom has the same knowledge as Tobey Maguire's Venom, that would be enough to get him caught in the spell.

The Venom 2 post-credit explains this. I didn't watch the movie, but found the clip online. Venom tells Eddie that he knows way more than he tells Eddie, and one thing he says is "80 billion light-years of hive knowledge across universes would explode your tiny little mind."  He then sees Peter on TV after crossing into the MCUverse and seems to know him.

I loved this movie as well. It had some much heart and soul to it. I wish we got to see if helping to cure and redeem the villains, gave them a happier future, back in their own timelines, but I suppose it's nice to be able to imagine they did. Seeing Doctor Octopus get his sanity back and help out at the end, was my favorite part, though to be honest, this film had so much heart and soul it really brought out a lot of emotions in me.

Though most of the best comedy, came from the woman sitting next to me, who was freaking out constantly while watching the film. When she saw Andrew Garfield show up, she nearly jumped out of her seat with excitement.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The Venom 2 post-credit explains this. I didn't watch the movie, but found the clip online. Venom tells Eddie that he knows way more than he tells Eddie, and one thing he says is "80 billion light-years of hive knowledge across universes would explode your tiny little mind."  He then sees Peter on TV after crossing into the MCUverse and seems to know him.

Ha, they should just make it actually the same symbiote from the Toby McGuire's Spiderman 3, twenty-something years ago.  He crossed universes and infected Eddie Brock again.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I wonder if the villains were returned to the exact time when they left. Because in that case Doc Ock was fighting Tobey, and he would presumably stop. Also, his wife would still be dead because of him so...

Yea, but he'd return to the climax of the second film with complete control of his metal arms and his sanity, so he might be able to help Toby Spider Man, stop the machine without losing his life this time. At least that's what happens in my headcanon. I sort of wish the credits were filled with scenes of the villains returning to their movies, but no dying this time, but I respect the choice to leave it to fans, to imagine what happens to them, after all 3 Spider Men, worked so hard to save them.

The entire film reminded me of this scene from the Justice League Unlimited cartoon and I mean that in the best possible way.

Loved it. I've only seen the three Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies and Into the Spiderverse but I may check out the Andrew Garfield ones. 

Anyways, I wonder how much not having Disney+/watching Wandavision and What If etc will impact people's enjoyment and/or understanding of the next Dr. Strange movie. 

8 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Anyways, I wonder how much not having Disney+/watching Wandavision and What If etc will impact people's enjoyment and/or understanding of the next Dr. Strange movie. 

This is the very reason I've given up on MCU. I don't have time to watch all the TV shows to try and keep up. 

I enjoyed the movie well enough, but a couple of things bugged me, both of which have been referenced earlier in this thread -

1) Are the police ("Department of Damage Control"...really?) really going to drag Peter and gang down and interrogate them like regular criminals.  Someone above mentioned the other Avengers getting involved...but wouldn't he just have enough general goodwill from the public for helping save half the universe to make that untenable for the authorities.

2) The forgetting spell. Boy, that sure seemed awfully contrived.  I thought it was just to make people forget Peter was Spider-Man...not forget him altogether.  As was mentioned above, wouldn't this spell have to wipe out a ton of physical records of Peter's existence as well?  And I really hope the ramifications of this are followed up on in the Dr.  Strange movie.  It sure seems like Strange just committed a pretty personal violation of nearly everyone on Earth.  Or more than Earth - if Capt. Marvel, or the Guardians - or Nick Fury for that matter - come back to Earth, will they know who Peter is?  Did the spell affect everyone in the Universe?

Like many people, I've enjoyed the MCU as a whole.  If you look hard enough, you could find plot holes in any of the movies, but they sure seem to be getting bigger in the post-Thanos timeframe.  Every new movie is beholden to reference the snap...er...blip, and if there are new heroes, have some one-line rationale about why they didn't help with Thanos.  And now with the multi-verse, things are going to be hand-wave away...   I dunno, guess we'll see how it plays out.

21 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Loved it. I've only seen the three Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies and Into the Spiderverse but I may check out the Andrew Garfield ones. 

I've never seen the Garfield movies either, and despite how delightful he was in No Way Home, I still have zero need to see them now. 

As to the next Strange film, I don't think missing it in WandaVision makes a bit of difference.  They'll give it two or three lines of exposition ,and, as Strange said in the trailer, he's not there for what happened in Westview, so the audience won't need to be either if they choose.

I just came from the film and I loved it.  Every time I thought it was about to bog down, it rose right back up to hit the high notes.  

I had no issues with the Daredevil drive by, that's just a nice nugget that seems to be the MCU working to accept the Netflix stuff (along with what Hawkeye is doing now).

I did everything I could to avoid spoilers, other than the post credit scenes, and I was thrilled that Maguire and Garfield were players, not cameos.  Same with the villains.

May was a shock, but it was a great twist to give her the Uncle Ben treatment. I hope Holland isn't truly done as Peter Parker, because they set up a fabulous bit with him in this.  Maybe in another movie we get Black Cat now?

Every actor of significance got something to do in this movie, even Happy.  They used all of their characters and they nailed it.

42 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I had no issues with the Daredevil drive by, that's just a nice nugget that seems to be the MCU working to accept the Netflix stuff (along with what Hawkeye is doing now).

Can you imagine if Hawkeye’s wife turns out to be Mockingbird now, a single week and Feige casually canonises Daredevil and tosses Agents of SHIELD aside … brutal. Also, I have to admire the timing of Cox and D’Onofrio, in the UK this movie was released literally the same day as Hawkeye.

With regards to the ending spell; is it possible Strange couldn’t do the same spell again cos he locked it in a box that got blown up? So they had do a different spell, one that completely eliminates memories of Peter and not just his identity as Spider-Man? It’s the only thing I can think of. Otherwise why would Peter not just say “hey, shall we try the spell again now? Then they’ll all forget and won’t be pulled in anymore?” Could really have used an explanatory line, maybe I missed it.

49 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

May was a shock, but it was a great twist to give her the Uncle Ben treatment.

It hadn’t occurred to me until a saw Cosmonaut Variety Hour mention it, but is there no Uncle Ben for Holland’s Parker at all? Like, he never existed? He didn’t react when Maguire told him about him.

10 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

It hadn’t occurred to me until a saw Cosmonaut Variety Hour mention it, but is there no Uncle Ben for Holland’s Parker at all? Like, he never existed? He didn’t react when Maguire told him about him.

Well they didn't have Holland's character say "....the guy from the rice?" so I'm guessing he had one. I'm almost sure he was alluded to in Civil War. 

Edit: I remembered I can just open disney+ and look. He's not mentioned at all, but Peter says "when you can do the things I can and you don't ...and then bad things happen..." I just always assumed he was talking about his uncle.

I guess we'll see in this Freshman Year animated show. Speaking of which he says he's only had his powers for six months before Civil War. so I guess that show can't go on too long. 

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm almost sure he was alluded to in Civil War. 

The internets tell me this is where he was - and it's all I can remember as well:

Look, when you can do the things that I can, but you don't... and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

Well they didn't have Holland's character say "....the guy from the rice?" so I'm guessing he had one. I'm almost sure he was alluded to in Civil War. 

Edit: I remembered I can just open disney+ and look. He's not mentioned at all, but Peter says "when you can do the things I can and you don't ...and then bad things happen..." I just always assumed he was talking about his uncle.

I think in "Far From Home", when he packs his suitcase, it's monogramed with Ben's initials.

I have a vague memory of him in Civil War saying something about May having a difficult year?

But yes he clearly seemed to know who Uncle Ben was when the other Spider-Men talked about him.

The initial memory spell and then the resolution spell don’t really make any sense at all, but I really don’t care. If it had been another film without the returning characters I might have been bothered more, but I think it was fine as an excuse for the rest of the film.

Archived