Spider-man: No Way Home [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

It's possible his relationship with his uncle Ben wasn't that close as in the other universes, and likely May's responsibility speech was the first time he truly heard those words.

That’s what I’m thinking, this trilogy was essentially a drawn out origin story for Peter in the MCU and Aunt May plays the role that Ben usually does. Maybe Ben doesn’t exist, maybe he died when Peter was younger, or they never even met. He just doesn’t have a role for this Spider-Man.

But...that's okay...I mean, I've enjoyed this MCU version of Spider-Man. The lack of conventional thinking in his origins. That we didn't have to live though, again, the comic book origin. It was assumed everyone knows it and they ran with the football, ending up giving us a richer and different take on Peter Parker.  To circumnavigate around to more of his original original in his sixth MCU outing and spin it this way with May, and what he got from the other universe Spider-Men, that's some original thinking, and I'm here for it.

Haven’t seen this yet but have been willingly spoiled and I think the lack of Ben (or something equivalent) gets to the heart of a lot of the problems I have had with the MCU Spider-Man. Worst thing they did IMO was shove the Tony/Peter relationship down our throats, it made SM lesser. Homecoming was decent, but bogged down horribly by all the Iron Man shit (Spidey in a modified IM suit etc.). I think Far From Home is a complete disaster, total bottom-tier Marvel; Dark World, Iron Man 2 garbage. Mostly because they needed to get back to the “friendly neighborhood” part after the big intergalactic adventure, but also because Peter living up to Stark’s legacy is is not something I find compelling. I appreciated not rehashing the origin again on film but by not having that element Peter had mostly come to be defined by the worst tendencies of “that happened!” MChumor and hero worship of Tony Stark. He has lacked pathos. I initially enjoyed Holland but by the end of the last film I found him incredibly annoying. Not sure how great is that it took so long to add some depth to the character but hopefully it will pay off in further outings.

Loved it.  Dont have much else to add.

Glad to see it killing it at the box office.  Perhaps the projected demise of the cinema experience was premature.  A couple people clapped when they saw Garfield for the first time and a couple others when Tobey showed up.  Someone uttered a low "Oh Shit" when Tom Hardy popped up in the credits scene.  That's the sort of thing I have missed.  I'm here for it.

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Loved it.  Dont have much else to add.

Glad to see it killing it at the box office.  Perhaps the projected demise of the cinema experience was premature.  A couple people clapped when they saw Garfield for the first time and a couple others when Tobey showed up.  Someone uttered a low "Oh Shit" when Tom Hardy popped up in the credits scene.  That's the sort of thing I have missed.  I'm here for it.

I have to admit, it's been a very long time since I've seen a movie audience as happy, as the one I saw this film with. It wasn't even the annoying "man that was so cool" happiness, that I got from the End Game crowd. It seemed so much more pure; like the kind you get from revisiting an old friend.

In the UK at a normal screening, audible audience reactions apart from modest laughter are usually an imprisonable offence. However there were cheers when we first saw Garfield and Maguire, and I did really enjoy it even if I didn’t hear the accompanying dialogue. It was really nice to have that experience.

29 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

In the UK at a normal screening, audible audience reactions apart from modest laughter are usually an imprisonable offence. However there were cheers when we first saw Garfield and Maguire, and I did really enjoy it even if I didn’t hear the accompanying dialogue. It was really nice to have that experience.

I had an audible gasp at Garfield appearing, that was it. I was so jealous of her not knowing before hand.

I do kinda wonder how much Marvel care about slight spoilers going forward, it feels like this snowball of ‘maybe Garfield and Maguire and Cox are in it’ just kept rolling and ended up making this movie unmissable. No fucking way I would’ve seen Eternals or Shang Chi with Covid this bad, but I just couldn’t weather three months or so not having seen this. Hopefully they can still keep secrets and surprise us. I’m glad the ‘four post credit’ thing turned out to be wrong, at least that leaves a germ of doubt in the future that these things aren’t alway true.

HOWEVER, I don't know that I'm on board with the idea that a post credit scene needs to be the actual trailer for another film...I honestly would have been happy with a little more interaction between Strange and Wanda when he went to find her.  The trailer was cool, but I don't want to sit through the end of the credits for it.  Just my thought. 

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

HOWEVER, I don't know that I'm on board with the idea that a post credit scene needs to be the actual trailer for another film...I honestly would have been happy with a little more interaction between Strange and Wanda when he went to find her.  The trailer was cool, but I don't want to sit through the end of the credits for it.  Just my thought. 

Still better than the Cap PSA from the first Spider-man. :laugh:

8 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

HOWEVER, I don't know that I'm on board with the idea that a post credit scene needs to be the actual trailer for another film...I honestly would have been happy with a little more interaction between Strange and Wanda when he went to find her.  The trailer was cool, but I don't want to sit through the end of the credits for it.  Just my thought

I think i saw every film up to endgame other than ant man and the wasp in the theatre, and never once stayed for the mid/post credits scene.

I think it's the stupidest most selfish thing ever, whoever thought the idea up is the  absolute biggest cunt in the history of entertainment. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think it's the stupidest most selfish thing ever, whoever thought the idea up is the  absolute biggest cunt in the history of entertainment. 

But... why? What is so bad in spending few aditional minutes in a comfy seat?

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think i saw every film up to endgame other than ant man and the wasp in the theatre, and never once stayed for the mid/post credits scene.

I resented the fact that the end scene here was just a trailer, but I don’t think there’s anything selfish about encouraging the audience to see the names of people who worked on the film.

That said I bet the cleaning staff at the cinema absolutely hate them.

36 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I resented the fact that the end scene here was just a trailer, but I don’t think there’s anything selfish about encouraging the audience to see the names of people who worked on the film.

That said I bet the cleaning staff at the cinema absolutely hate them.

Nobody is reading those names. 

I have to say this much, that trailer for the up coming Dr. Strange film, did look pretty awesome, if nothing else. I know it takes place in the MCU, but I hope it at least feels like a Sam Raimi film, much like how all of the GotG films, clearly feel like James Gunn movies. Now I just wonder who or possibly what Bruce Campbell and Ted Raimi will be playing in the up coming Dr. Strange film.

12 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Still better than the Cap PSA from the first Spider-man. :laugh:

Saw that this morning for the first time and actually really liked that XD Much better than the teaser trailer, in the latest one.

16 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

But...that's okay...I mean, I've enjoyed this MCU version of Spider-Man. The lack of conventional thinking in his origins. That we didn't have to live though, again, the comic book origin. It was assumed everyone knows it and they ran with the football, ending up giving us a richer and different take on Peter Parker.  To circumnavigate around to more of his original original in his sixth MCU outing and spin it this way with May, and what he got from the other universe Spider-Men, that's some original thinking, and I'm here for it.

Totally agree here. For me this approach and version worked far better than anything else from Spiderman I can remember.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:08 AM, DaveSumm said:

I had an audible gasp at Garfield appearing, that was it. I was so jealous of her not knowing before hand.

I do kinda wonder how much Marvel care about slight spoilers going forward, it feels like this snowball of ‘maybe Garfield and Maguire and Cox are in it’ just kept rolling and ended up making this movie unmissable. No fucking way I would’ve seen Eternals or Shang Chi with Covid this bad, but I just couldn’t weather three months or so not having seen this. Hopefully they can still keep secrets and surprise us. I’m glad the ‘four post credit’ thing turned out to be wrong, at least that leaves a germ of doubt in the future that these things aren’t alway true.

I think if it were a full Disney Marvel film there is no way they wouldn't have spoiled the secrets and surprises, being mostly a Sony distributed film I believe that would have been left to Sony. 

In short great movie. On a cinematic meta Level this is bigger than Avatar, Infinity War/End Game, LOTR. Multiverse across franchises and studios, holy moly. From now on, everything will be possible in cinema. 

Game Changer. Let’s not forget that the Tobey Maguire Spidermen movies were huge back then, the first one easily on the Star Wars/LOTR anticipation Level. 

Archived