NBA continued- Replacement players and the flat earther Road Warrior

DireWolfSpirit

34 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well the Nets probably would have less leverage, sure, but there's absolutely no reason the Sixers should just assume they would sign and trade him to them no matter what.  Even if that is what Harden insists on.  Hell, you shouldn't even assume Harden won't change his mind about wanting to go to the Sixers between now and the summer.  If the Sixers were intent on getting Harden, then it would be GM malpractice for Morey to wait until the offseason just to roll the dice on all these unknowns.

Wouldn't letting it play out give you a better idea of just how much he wanted to go to the Sixers? If he started to waffle, that would be another reason not to try and acquire him given his recent history. Now no matter what the Sixers have to give him a monster deal that he'll probably never live up to. Like I said before, I get why they decided to do it even if I'd be reluctant, but I reject that they had to right now.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wouldn't letting it play out give you a better idea of just how much he wanted to go to the Sixers?

I guess, but that's no reason to wait until the offseason.  Indeed, waiting until the offseason may well make Harden sour on his desire to go to the Sixers.  Again, this is all predicated on the assumption the Sixers wanted to get Harden - either now or in the offseason.  If that's the case, it's no contest that they should pull the trigger now. 

I agree with you that their desire to get Harden may not be the best move, but that's immaterial to the choice at hand.  Moreover, I especially agree with you that signing him to the extension he's in line for is a bad move in the long run.  Now that he's exercised his player option for next year, frankly the ideal move from the Sixers perspective is to wait it out given his injury/aging concerns and see what's what after next season.  Of course, that will almost certainly just lead to Harden being disgruntled or even refusing to play next season so the point is moot.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Agree the All-Star draft is a huge improvement. I just don't get why LeBron can't apply these roster building skills to his own fucking team. 

It really is confusing.  LeBron is a smart guy all around, and as a basketball guy, he must be in the top quartile or even the top ten percent.

So how is it that the Lakers keep getting WORSE every year?  I get it that he was surrounding by dross in Cleveland - it was Cleveland.  But LA?  They are supposed to have a line-up where All-Stars and past league MVPs sit on the bench, like Bob McAdoo.  Instead, they are turrible, just turrible.

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It really is confusing.  LeBron is a smart guy all around, and as a basketball guy, he must be in the top quartile or even the top ten percent.

So how is it that the Lakers keep getting WORSE every year?  I get it that he was surrounding by dross in Cleveland - it was Cleveland.  But LA?  They are supposed to have a line-up where All-Stars and past league MVPs sit on the bench, like Bob McAdoo.  Instead, they are turrible, just turrible.

LeBron never had teams that were this much of a jumbled mess during his second stint in Cleveland.  The team actually tried to build around his strengths, not just add names to add names.

They were at the top of the East every year and cruised to the Finals for four straight years, and they effectively ripped the souls out of the Hawks, Celtics, and Raptors multiple times.

I still remember that 60 win Hawks team where the entire starting lineup made the All Star Game in 2015.  The Cavs swept them in the ECF.  That Hawks squad was never the same.

I’ll add that that Cavs team won arguably the most impressive ring in NBA history, coming back from 3-1 to beat one of the greatest teams of all time.  The Lakers ring LeBron won, on the other hand, was among the least impressive wins of all time, won in an empty arena in Vegas in a series barely anyone even watched. It’s the one championship since 1999 lockout season that should have an asterisk next to it.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

The Lakers ring LeBron won, on the other hand, was among the least impressive wins of all time, won in an empty arena in Vegas in a series barely anyone even watched. It’s the one championship since 1999 lockout season that should have an asterisk next to it.

It's the bubble ring. Check out AD's 3 point splits:

Bubble playoffs: 23/60, 38%

Since leaving the bubble: 37/164, 23%

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's the bubble ring. Check out AD's 3 point splits:

Bubble playoffs: 23/60, 38%

Since leaving the bubble: 37/164, 23%

I looked up ratings numbers and damn near as many people watched game seven of the 2016 Finals as the entire 2020 six games combined. 

16 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Just in terms of pairings, I am not sure I would pick Harden/Embiid over Davis/LeBron. But of course the Sixers have a much better team surrounding those guys.

I was really just talking about guard + traditional center pairings.  There aren't a lot of great traditional centers in the league post-Shaq, and those that we have seen often didn't have a great guard to dance with. 

Yeah but think about Dallas, how badly did they want to get rid of Porzingis that they traded him for Dinwiddie and Bertans??

I mean that was a shocker and such a low return. I think they are just very glad to be rid of him and his contract, because he really is hurt every other game and its impossible to build on. Its just a bad return that they got. Dinwiddie wasnt good for the Wizards and they wanted him gone, and they were so happy to get rid of Bertans too.

It's a negative return.  Porzingis was traded for a rotation player coming off injury and a role player on a terrible contract.  And they had to throw in a second rounder just to sweeten the pot for Washington!  I can't be too happy because the terrible Bertans contract was also signed by Washington, but overall this is definitely a win for the Wizards. 

The East is nuts right now. I have absolutely no confidence on who will make it through. I know the Bulls have a lot of teams that are a bad match-up, that's for sure. Cleveland are looking like the Memphis of the east in that they are too young to be so damn good. Boston is hot as hell right now and got better with Theis and White. Too bad Kyrie is a fucking idiot or they'd have a stellar team, but the Nets could still be great. The 6ers might be my hesitant favorites now. The Heat are just mean as hell and I wish I didn't have to root against them. The Bucks have a generational MVP. 

Man I hope no teams suffer any major injuries for once before a postseason. This could be a real humdinger of a spring! 

9 minutes ago, David Selig said:

If this rule was in place when he was in the NBA, Dion Waiters would have never been able to finish a single quarter before getting ejected.

As a Cavs fan, I actually thought about calling it the Dion Waiters rule.  :lol:

Archived