NFL 2021: Full Speed, Eyes Closed, Can't Lose

Maithanet

On 1/2/2022 at 8:52 PM, Tywin et al. said:

If you want to really understand Madden's influence on the game, just look at all these young coaches going for it way too often on fourth down.

Honestly, is that sarcasm?  

On 1/3/2022 at 7:48 PM, Reny of Storms End said:

It feels like my youth is ending tonight. I know there is a lot of genuine dislike, and rightly so, for Big Ben, but he was drafted when I was still in high school! This is a weird feeling.

Wow, did he grope anyone you know?

4 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

So the WFT is announcing their new name/mascot/uniforms on February 2nd. I don't have any connection with the DC area, but of these

I think the Red Hogs is a pretty hilarious name, and the Armada or Brigade sound appropriately martial, so I assume they'll pick the ridiculously lame Defenders after all.

I mostly dislike non plural sounding names (ie non s ending).  Defenders sounds so lame. like Guardians without a possible Macross side reference.  Maybe they should go full commie and settle on Red Extermination Camp Guards.

12 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Honestly, is that sarcasm?  

Like I said in another post, it's mostly in jest, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some younger coaches who grew up on the game, enjoyed the aggressive nature of it (Madden hated that and actually asked for EA to turn the difficulty up on 4th down plays, learned that one today) and when they found out the math actually supported it said, "Fuck it, let's do it." 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Like I said in another post, it's mostly in jest, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some younger coaches who grew up on the game, enjoyed the aggressive nature of it (Madden hated that and actually asked for EA to turn the difficulty up on 4th down plays, learned that one today) and when they found out the math actually supported it said, "Fuck it, let's do it." 

OK, I may have misread your previous post, since you said Way Too Often.  Way too often according to 20th century football. I believe deeply that Don Shula would still be ahead of Dave Gettleman though in the current era.  

is that controversial?

4 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

OK, I may have misread your previous post, since you said Way Too Often.  Way too often according to 20th century football. I believe deeply that Don Shula would still be ahead of Dave Gettleman though in the current era.  

is that controversial?

Gettleman is a living, breathing example of how any intelligent person could be a mediocre GM if they put the time and energy into the work.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Gettleman is a living, breathing example of how any intelligent person could be a mediocre GM if they put the time and energy into the work.

Gettleman in Experts.  +120 to get Jaxomed.  What side do you take?

7 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I thought they were just going to stick with Washington Football Team? They probably should.

Hard to trademark, hard to exploit for ancillary sales.  And that is what is driving this decision - the very real possibility that they might lose the rights to "Redskins" in the future on the basis that the term is "disparaging, scandalous, contemptuous, or disreputable."

23 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Great comment to someone talking about the nostalgia of seeing everyone they grew up watching either being retired or playing in their last home game. 

Maybe it's okay to have some mixed feelings about a total asshole who happens to play for a team you like?

Living in Pittsburgh for the better part of a decade I've met a handful of people that claim they went to high school with Gronk.  A couple more say they went to school with Aaron Donald.  I've yet to meet anyone eager to share they've met/know Roethlisberger.

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Make of this what you will. AB doesn't have much credibility, but if an investigation finds this to be mostly accurate, oh boy...

This incident will end a career.  Let's sit back and see which one.

18 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

This incident will end a career.  Let's sit back and see which one.

AB is probably done either way. And BA was probably going to retire regardless after this year or the next. What's more interesting is who is going to sue who.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

If only it could somehow be Tom Brady's...

Brady will probably play another year, but I don't think he's getting an eight ring. The biggest reason why the Bucs won last year is because they were incredibly healthy down the stretch while the Packers and Chiefs had decimated o-lines. That's not the case this year.

Archived