NFL 2021: Full Speed, Eyes Closed, Can't Lose

Maithanet

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

NOT looking forward to the injury report on Monday.  Yeesh.

Definitely.  Game was BRUTAL.

At least we get one extra day’s rest.  But either way; I don’t like a third Rams match or going to Tom’s house.

Just now, Rhom said:

Definitely.  Game was BRUTAL.

At least we get one extra day’s rest.  But either way; I don’t like a third Rams match or going to Tom’s house.

Yeah the third game thing definitely throws a wrench in things.  Other than that I'd definitely be rooting to play McVay and the Rams rather than Brady.  But like I said a couple weeks ago - Cowboys, Packers, Brady - that'd be a pretty badass gauntlet for things I hate.

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

But like I said a couple weeks ago - Cowboys, Packers, Brady - that'd be a pretty badass gauntlet for things I hate.

Don’t forget… at Rams in week 18 was win or go home too.

We’ve just won three road playoff games!

Sat up late last night reading postgame comments over at Acme Packing Company while sipping a sweet tea chilled by the frozen tears of Packers fans.

It was a good night.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What are you talking about? I found both games to be wildly entertaining.

So sloppy. 

ETA....last night's game didn't feel like I was watching a defensive battle that kept the score low, but that I was watching two teams who were, at the heart of it, not that great.

22 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

So sloppy. 

ETA....last night's game didn't feel like I was watching a defensive battle that kept the score low, but that I was watching two teams who were, at the heart of it, not that great.

You go play in those conditions tough guy. I have. It sucks. Try catching a ball when you can't feel your hands or cutting when your feet are blocks of ice. It's not fun.

ETA: Green Bay still hasn't learned. They have this beautiful finesse passing game that does not hold up in the cold. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

ETA: Green Bay still hasn't learned. They have this beautiful finesse passing game that does not hold up in the cold. 

Hard to see the frozen tundra as the Packers' bugaboo.  Before last night they were 24-3 at Lambeau since LaFleur took over.  One of those losses was in September.  Another was last year's NFC championship against the Bucs, and while it was cold I don't really recall that being much of a factor - Rodgers threw 48 passes for 346 yards.  Not to mention Rodgers' record in freezing temps - 28-8 overall and 6-3 in the playoffs before last night.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

Hard to see the frozen tundra as the Packers' bugaboo.  Before last night they were 24-3 at Lambeau since LaFleur took over.  One of those losses was in September.  Another was last year's NFC championship against the Bucs, and while it was cold I don't really recall that being much of a factor - Rodgers threw 48 passes for 346 yards.  Not to mention Rodgers' record in freezing temps - 28-8 overall and 6-3 in the playoffs before last night.

Lambeau used to be a lock in the cold. I don't think the Packers have built a team to win in the cold for a long time, otherwise they should have had way more playoff success. If Brady wins today he'll have more playoff wins over NFC teams than Rodgers, and that's kind of an indictment on the latter.

11 minutes ago, Rhom said:

A lot of the Packers fans over at the fan site I lurked seem to think they are headed for 20 years of Detroit Lions level play.

I think that is very possible, though probably not be quite as bad as the Lions.  They lucked out with two HOF QBs in a row for the last 25 years and those HOF QBs masked many, many weaknesses.  Take away Rogers, and what do you have?  It also seems unlikely they will strike gold a third time in a row.  

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lambeau used to be a lock in the cold. I don't think the Packers have built a team to win in the cold for a long time, otherwise they should have had way more playoff success. If Brady wins today he'll have more playoff wins over NFC teams than Rodgers, and that's kind of an indictment on the latter.

Why the hell would you build a team "for the cold" - which I assume you mean how the Niners are built, running and defense - when your quarterback is (probably) the MVP both last year and this year?  Especially considering said quarterback has a better record in freezing temperatures anyway.  Doesn't make any sense.

It's also fallacious to say Lambeau "used to a lock."  From 2003 to 2008 Favre lost three playoff games at Lambeau in January.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I think that is very possible, though probably not be quite as bad as the Lions.  They lucked out with two HOF QBs in a row for the last 25 years and those HOF QBs masked many, many weaknesses.  Take away Rogers, and what do you have?  It also seems unlikely they will strike gold a third time in a row.  

Two HoF QBs over 30 years is underselling Rodgers and Favre. Rodgers will go down as a top three QB of all-time, and Favre is easily a top ten QB ever and in his day was as good as it gets. Imagine him with today's rules. They collectively covered up a franchise that was at times really bad at putting a good team around them, and I think it's telling that good players on offense with them always sucked the moment they left.

Archived