NFL 2021: Full Speed, Eyes Closed, Can't Lose

Maithanet

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Why the hell would you build a team "for the cold" - which I assume you mean how the Niners are built, running and defense - when your quarterback is (probably) the MVP both last year and this year?  Especially considering said quarterback has a better record in freezing temperatures anyway.  Doesn't make any sense.

It's also fallacious to say Lambeau "used to a lock."  From 2003 to 2008 Favre lost three playoff games at Lambeau in January.

Basically yeah, they have not built an effective run game or great defense consistently over that stretch of time. The Packers lucked into two elite of the elite QBs and they covered up so many other failings, but relying so much on a QB's greatness in the frozen tundra is a dangerous game.

I actually wanted to pick the Niners to win the game, but you know I don't trust Jimmy and him plus a bad shoulder/hand made that hard to do.

And Kyle's dad buttered his bread in the cold. That run scheme and defense travels. If I were you I'd be rooting for Tampa today.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

And Kyle's dad buttered his bread in the cold. That run scheme and defense travels. If I were you I'd be rooting for Tampa today.

I was actually quite frustrated with the Niners' lack of success running last night.  Mitchell did not have a good night - 17 rushes for 53 yards - and cutting right into the Packers DL instead of following Trent Williams on that 4th and 1 was a really glaring mistake.  Even Deebo wasn't his usual super self on the ground - 10 attempts for 39 yards - but of course he did have that 3rd and 7 run to set up the game winner that demonstrated why he's the most valuable non-QB.

It's weird, the Packers shut down the Niners running game back in September too.  And it makes NO SENSE because the Packers generally suck at defending the run.  Needless to say, I was complaining about this a lot from 8:30 to about 11 last night.

I'm rooting for Tampa because I want to beat Brady.  As for who I think the Niners have a better chance of beating?  ...It's really tough for me to say.  Normally, I'd easily count on Shanahan beating McVay again..but for the third game thing.  And I really do think that's a thing, beating a team three times in a season is hard.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Two HoF QBs over 30 years is underselling Rodgers and Favre. Rodgers will go down as a top three QB of all-time, and Favre is easily a top ten QB ever and in his day was as good as it gets. Imagine him with today's rules. They collectively covered up a franchise that was at times really bad at putting a good team around them, and I think it's telling that good players on offense with them always sucked the moment they left.

I agree with all of this. Both QBs should have multiple super bowl wins/appearances, and Rogers has only been to SB 1 time, that is nuts.   I remember early in his tenure everyone was all about 'how many SB will he win'  'oh he will definitely win more than Favre'.  Yeah no.  You can't exactly say their talent was 'wasted' but still.

I think that Rodgers legacy had taken a hit these past few years.  He's a top 4 regular season QB, but his numbers in the playoffs are less impressive.  Not bad, but far from an all time great either.  He just lost a game at home in which the opposing team scored 6 offensive points.  That's bad. I know the niners have a good defense, but they aren't the legion of boom or anything.  You gotta score more than 10 points.

29 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think that Rodgers legacy had taken a hit these past few years.  He's a top 4 regular season QB, but his numbers in the playoffs are less impressive.  Not bad, but far from an all time great either.  He just lost a game at home in which the opposing team scored 6 offensive points.  That's bad. I know the niners have a good defense, but they aren't the legion of boom or anything.  You gotta score more than 10 points.

You can't really blame him for a blocked FG and a blocked punt.  But, he wasn't burning it up, that's true.  Then again, the QB can't do it alone...an all time great QB can keep you competitive in the regular season and win a few playoff games, but he cannot win a SB by himself...which is an indictment of the Packers organization going back to the 1990s.  

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I was actually quite frustrated with the Niners' lack of success running last night.  Mitchell did not have a good night - 17 rushes for 53 yards - and cutting right into the Packers DL instead of following Trent Williams on that 4th and 1 was a really glaring mistake.  Even Deebo wasn't his usual super self on the ground - 10 attempts for 39 yards - but of course he did have that 3rd and 7 run to set up the game winner that demonstrated why he's the most valuable non-QB.

It's weird, the Packers shut down the Niners running game back in September too.  And it makes NO SENSE because the Packers generally suck at defending the run.  Needless to say, I was complaining about this a lot from 8:30 to about 11 last night.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's hard to do anything well compared to your typical standards in that kind of weather. That's why I think it's a mistake to build an offense around being dependent on timing throws because that's all the Packers have to beat other good teams. They don't do much else well.

I'm rooting for Tampa because I want to beat Brady.  As for who I think the Niners have a better chance of beating?  ...It's really tough for me to say.  Normally, I'd easily count on Shanahan beating McVay again..but for the third game thing.  And I really do think that's a thing, beating a team three times in a season is hard.

You're overthinking it. Tom will be a sitting duck against the Niners. Looks like he is verse the Rams as well, which is why I picked them to win.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's why I think it's a mistake to build an offense around being dependent on timing throws because that's all the Packers have to beat other good teams. They don't do much else well.

To be clear I certainly agree with the general point that the Packers' FO have squandered the opportunity for much (much) more success throughout Rodgers' career.  I just don't think that has anything to do with "the cold" at all, especially considering all the evidence shows the Packers and Rodgers are just as good if not better in the cold.  They lost because of their special teams and the Niners defense, not because of the weather.

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're overthinking it. Tom will be a sitting duck against the Niners. Looks like he is verse the Rams as well, which is why I picked them to win.

Well, I didn't know one of the Bucs' best OLs was injured until about an hour ago.  Looking at the injury report, though, looks like the Rams LT Whitworth is injured as well.  Still, not clear if either of them will be ready to go next week or not.  Regardless, the way the Niners DL is playing right now I'm not too worried about them getting to either quarterback.  They sacked Stafford five times two weeks ago. 

My worry about the Bucs is they got one of the best run defenses in the league, whereas we know the Niners can run all over the Rams.  There's also the consideration that playing the Rams means it's basically a home game and much less travel, but I'm not sure how much either matters.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

You can't really blame him for a blocked FG and a blocked punt.  But, he wasn't burning it up, that's true.  Then again, the QB can't do it alone...an all time great QB can keep you competitive in the regular season and win a few playoff games, but he cannot win a SB by himself...which is an indictment of the Packers organization going back to the 1990s.  

I blame him for leading one touchdown and two field goal drives all game.  That's not enough.  The Packers defense played more than well enough to win, and if the offense was merely decent, they win comfortably.  You're supposed to be the NFL MVP - get it done.

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

About to go to bed with a tom brady led team down by 17, expect to wake up tomorrow and find he won in the last 30 seconds like every other time this has happened. 

So all those Brady comebacks are your fault then for always going to bed.

Huh, I didn't know that was a rule. Guess the moral of the story is hit the ball up, not down, if you're about to receive an obvious personal foul (I think that's bullshit but w/e).

1 hour ago, DMC said:

To be clear I certainly agree with the general point that the Packers' FO have squandered the opportunity for much (much) more success throughout Rodgers' career.  I just don't think that has anything to do with "the cold" at all, especially considering all the evidence shows the Packers and Rodgers are just as good if not better in the cold.  They lost because of their special teams and the Niners defense, not because of the weather.

And likewise I'm not trying to take anything away from SF's D, which played spectacularly. My point is the Packers under Rodgers have run an offense that needs so much to go right to maximize what they can do. When everyone is a step slower in the cold it doesn't workout that well, especially if the other team can pressure him.

Well, I didn't know one of the Bucs' best OLs was injured until about an hour ago.  Looking at the injury report, though, looks like the Rams LT Whitworth is injured as well.  Still, not clear if either of them will be ready to go next week or not.  Regardless, the way the Niners DL is playing right now I'm not too worried about them getting to either quarterback.  They sacked Stafford five times two weeks ago. 

My worry about the Bucs is they got one of the best run defenses in the league, whereas we know the Niners can run all over the Rams.  There's also the consideration that playing the Rams means it's basically a home game and much less travel, but I'm not sure how much either matters.

The Bucs' have several injuries on the O-line. Feels fitting given one of the biggest reasons they won the Owl last year is because everyone else was hurt and they were at nearly full strength down the stretch.

Archived