Jump to content

NFL 2021: Full Speed, Eyes Closed, Can't Lose


Maithanet
 Share

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Rhom said:

That's more in line with how I remember it.  Even if he wasn't to be considered a bust, certainly I think most saw him as a low ceiling/high floor kind of guy.

Think it was the other way around. His arm talent was crazy but people thought he was a one read guy who wasn't very good in a muddy pocket and therefore would have a tough time transitioning to the NFL. That and he was "too nice".

I do remember lots of talk around the time that the Bengals were big fans of him after coaching him in the senior bowl and there was crazy speculation that the Bengals might take him over Burrow because of his measurables. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, if I recall he wasn't terribly good in college either, but it turns out that was because he had shit receivers.  Give him Keenan Allen and Mike Williams and apparently he is pretty fucking good.

Keenan Allen is a great player, but I thought the Chargers receivers were trash last night, on the whole.  Lots of drops and very few plays where they did anything beyond what you'd expect any pro to do.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Think it was the other way around. His arm talent was crazy but people thought he was a one read guy who wasn't very good in a muddy pocket and therefore would have a tough time transitioning to the NFL. That and he was "too nice".

This is more in line with what I remember. The two main critiques were questions about why his high end arm talent doesn’t transfer into more team success and because of that he might struggle in the NFL early on and that his personality didn’t give off natural leader because he’s nice, soft spoken and introverted.

One more thing to add about Tua. I listened to PFF’s Sam Monson do an interview this morning and he said the Dolphins didn’t just have the worst line in the NFL, they had one of the worst ever graded. Not sure what conclusions you can draw about a young QB with a dreadful line and at best middling skill players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

This.

Remember, there was a concerted campaign all about "Tanking for Tua."  For two years prior to his eligibility, teams were drooling over Tua.  The fact that he got injured and therefore sipped to Miami was seen as a major win for them.

Anyone now trying to claim Herbert as the better pick is the height of revisionist history.  Might as well slam every team in the league for passing on Tom Brady 6 times!  "But he's the GOAT!  How could you pass on him!!!!"  Herbert had a nice college career, but in no way was anyone saying he was a better prospect than Tua.


It was much closer than some of you are suggesting. 

The article below made a pretty compelling case for Herbert over Tua. And like it mentioned, there were analysts (like Daniel Jeremiah) predicting Miami was going with Herbert. Or at the very least that their FO was split. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/4/9/21214214/justin-herbert-vs-tua-tagovailoa-nfl-draft-2020-stock-quarterback-rumors

And your Brady comparison is pure hyperbole. Herbert was a consensus top 2-3 QB prospect. Brady was a 6th rounder. C’mon now. Herbert could have easily went #1OA had Joe Burrow not made his historic run. In fact, there was some talk about the Bengals being super high on Herbert after the Senior Bowl. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah I don't recall anyone saying this at the time.  With hindsight, sure, but that's not fair.

I am a Duck fan and I thought Herbert would be okay, and definitely was not warranted with a 1st round pick. Holy crap was I wrong! 
 

He was good but not great in college, though in retrospect a lot of that appears to be the coordinator and the playstyle, which favors run-option a lot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

...Not sure what conclusions you can draw about a young QB with a dreadful line and at best middling skill players.

The conclusion I draw is that the GM and whoever else is making personnel decisions needs to be fired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that makes these playoffs seem particularly open ended is just that every team in the field has at least one really bad loss, and most of them have an additional loss or near-miss against one of the bottom feeders. 

Some years going into the divisional round (less so WC weekend) an upset feels really unlikely because the homes teams have all been so solid and consistent that it's hard to imagine them coming up short.  Not this year.  Every team has put up at least one stinker, and are quite capable of putting up another one.  There isn't a single team in the field that I would be genuinely surprised if they were to lose by 17+ in the coming weeks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

One thing that makes these playoffs seem particularly open ended is just that every team in the field has at least one really bad loss, and most of them have an additional loss or near-miss against one of the bottom feeders. 

Some years going into the divisional round (less so WC weekend) an upset feels really unlikely because the homes teams have all been so solid and consistent that it's hard to imagine them coming up short.  Not this year.  Every team has put up at least one stinker, and are quite capable of putting up another one.  There isn't a single team in the field that I would be genuinely surprised if they were to lose by 17+ in the coming weeks. 

One of the reasons I'm so excited about it. I can totally see the Bengals coming out as AFC Champs. It'll take a lot and it's unlikely but it's so open ended and all the teams are generally pretty close in levels that outside of "It's the Bengals", it wouldn't surprise me at all. That's exciting! I just need to not think about 2013...

Edited by Mexal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mexal said:

One of the reasons I'm so excited about it. I can totally see the Bengals coming out as AFC Champs. It'll take a lot and it's unlikely but it's so open ended and all the teams are generally pretty close in levels that outside of "It's the Bengals", it wouldn't surprise me at all. That's exciting! I just need to not think about 2013...

Slow down buddy, first you guys have to kill that texting meme.

That said, the only teams that I don't think have a chance are the Steelers and Eagles. Their QB play is too limited and inconsistent to win four games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Slow down buddy, first you guys have to kill that texting meme.

That said, the only teams that I don't think have a chance are the Steelers and Eagles. Their QB play is too limited and inconsistent to win four games. 

Just saying, there is a chance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

Just saying, there is a chance!

Sure, but you’re more likely to lose the first game than go on a run so you might want to temper your expectations a bit. The thing to be more optimistic about is it looks like the Bengals should dominate the division for the next few seasons given their ascension and the tough spots the other three teams are in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sure, but you’re more likely to lose the first game than go on a run so you might want to temper your expectations a bit. The thing to be more optimistic about is it looks like the Bengals should dominate the division for the next few seasons given their ascension and the tough spots the other three teams are in.

I have no real expectations because I’ve lived through this 7 times, including 2013 which is very similar (minus Burrow) but I am excited. Every year this will be the narrative. If we lose this year and win division next, it’s the same. So I don’t give a fuck about that. I want to slay this narrative and make a run this year so that our dominance next year leads to something greater rather than the same narrative over and over. With the AFC being so open, team being relatively healthy and Bengals offense clicking on all cylinders, this is the year to do something.

Edited by Mexal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw an interesting factoid yesterday.  No one in human history has ever sent a text about a Bengals playoff win.  The last Cincy playoff win was in 1991... the first text message was sent in 1992.  :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...