Jump to content

NFL 2021: Full Speed, Eyes Closed, Can't Lose


Maithanet
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Injury watch is now on for whether Bosa and Warner can go against GB.

Indeed.  Sadly, based on the nature of the injuries, I'm more optimistic about Bosa getting through concussion protocol than Warner reinjuring his ankle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, DMC said:

I don't know why Shanahan had Trent Williams motion/shift on that 4th and inches - which caused the false start - but other than that the only frustrating thing at the end was the defense not keeping Dallas in bounds, which I guess you can blame on Shanahan but meh.

1.  Trent Williams shift for no reason.

2.  Three plays in a row of not guarding the sideline to allow Dallas to move 40 yards in about 12 seconds.

3.  Punting on 4th and 1 from midfield with 2:51 left.  Even if you come up short, Dallas having a short field isn't even a particularly bad thing because they need a touchdown and if they get it you could just drive for a FG to win.  With that amount of time left, it is very unlikely that Dallas would be able to score a touchdown with virtually no time left.  Whereas if you convert it, then Dallas uses all 3 timeouts AND you're practically in field goal range.  Inexcusable punt decision. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

3.  Punting on 4th and 1 from midfield with 2:51 left.  Even if you come up short, Dallas having a short field isn't even a particularly bad thing because they need a touchdown and if they get it you could just drive for a FG to win.  With that amount of time left, it is very unlikely that Dallas would be able to score a touchdown with virtually no time left.  Whereas if you convert it, then Dallas uses all 3 timeouts AND you're practically in field goal range.  Inexcusable punt decision. 

Heh, when that happened my brother went "I'd go for it."  I was like "so would I, but Shanahan won't" then I went to refill my drink.  Anyway, that's clearly a 50/50 decision I don't have much of a problem with.  And frankly, based on how Garoppolo and the defense were playing at the time, respectively, it's more than reasonable to trust the latter to stop the Cowboys than trust Garoppolo to come back with a field goal in limited time.  And, btw, it worked - the defense stopped them.  So..I suppose we have very different definitions of "inexcusable."

Shanahan's conservatism - especially when holding large leads - can be quite frustrating, I won't deny that.  But my only main issue (the Williams shift was pretty fluky) is with the defense crumbling when the opposing team has a (what should be very slim) chance to come back at the end of the game.  In fact, the Packers game was a great example of this - Rodgers led them to a winning field goal from his own 25 with 37 seconds left and no timeouts back in September.

While I don't watch a lot of non-Niner games, from what I have this season this problem seems endemic.  Perhaps the entire league needs to rethink how they defend against opposing offenses coming back.  But overall, I'm satisfied with how Shanahan handled the end of the game despite the fact that, yes, this is something that's plagued him since the Patriots/Falcons Super Bowl.  Particularly considering Garoppolo appeared to be in full disaster mode at the time - recall shortly before the 4th and 1 punt was his terrible throw on a screen to George Kittle that..luckily was so terrible Kittle didn't catch it, subsequently fumble, and lose it to the Cowboys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know why I bother watching ESPN sometimes. 

Big playoff weekend.  Got winning teams and upcoming match ups to discuss... nope.  99% of coverage is what went wrong with the Cowboys and 1% is Big Ben's last game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It feels like 90% of ESPN is dedicated to NYC and LA teams and the Dallas Cowboys. It's become somewhat unwatchable outside of the games if you're not a fan of those markets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It feels like 90% of ESPN is dedicated to NYC and LA teams and the Dallas Cowboys. It's become somewhat unwatchable outside of the games if you're not a fan of those markets.

YES!  ESPN radio this season felt like it was over 3/4 Giants and Jets talk.  I get it... you're based in the northeast.  Its a big market.  But spending an outsized amount of time on teams that are actively terribad just seems like bad business to me.  And its blatantly obvious what they are doing because its not like they spent time talking Detroit/Jacksonville/Houston.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

YES!  ESPN radio this season felt like it was over 3/4 Giants and Jets talk.  I get it... you're based in the northeast.  Its a big market.  But spending an outsized amount of time on teams that are actively terribad just seems like bad business to me.  And its blatantly obvious what they are doing because its not like they spent time talking Detroit/Jacksonville/Houston.

I don't listen to much traditional sports radio, but when I'd drive to get food or run errands on my lunch break I used to give Kellerman's show a listen. It was fine, nothing special. But they replaced him with a show that seems to only talk about what's wrong with the Giants, Jets and Knicks, and the solutions the offer are always garbage. I cannot believe they get paid for what they do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Red birds are catching an ass whooping. I like my chances of going 6-0 in Pick'em this week.

My dad has $10s bet and is currently 5/6 right. 
 

The Cardinals are gonna cost him a $450 win. 
 

His fault for being greedy. He could’ve taken the guaranteed $200 before the game began. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

My dad has $10s bet and is currently 5/6 right. 
 

The Cardinals are gonna cost him a $450 win. 
 

His fault for being greedy. He could’ve taken the guaranteed $200 before the game began. 

Talk about a bad beat, but I wouldn't risk money on the Cards at this point. They're nothing like the team that started 7-0 (and they were a team that got a lot of luck in close wins throughout the season).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Talk about a bad beat, but I wouldn't risk money on the Cards at this point. They're nothing like the team that started 7-0 (and they were a team that got a lot of luck in close wins throughout the season).

Haha. Yep. They’re currently down 21.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...