NFL 2021: Full Speed, Eyes Closed, Can't Lose

Maithanet

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Guess I should have waited a bit:

Make of this what you will. AB doesn't have much credibility, but if an investigation finds this to be mostly accurate, oh boy...

Didn't he dance off the pitch without a care in the world? Weird ankle injury. 

His ankle didnt seem to be bothering him the first 29 plays he was on field for or when he scampered off the field, waving. Then it seemed fine in his new kicks as he sat courtside at a Nets game with no cast or tape. His long reply sure seemed well thought out, though, and has a ring of truth more than the alternative and skeptics' scenario, that the injury insistence is him and his lawyers reacting to cover for this wildest of his tantrums / ego trips. 

It is possible to hurt your ankle and still be able to walk and even run in a straight line, but be unable to plant and change direction.  I have had that happen personally and it is very frustrating. 

It also seems very possible that if they gave him a strong painkiller (standard NFL procedure) that he would be able to play at reduced effectiveness for a time, but eventually it is just no longer possible. 

I don't know that he's telling the truth, but you can't dismiss it based on his ability to walk or jog without limping. 

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It is possible to hurt your ankle and still be able to walk and even run in a straight line, but be unable to plant and change direction.  I have had that happen personally and it is very frustrating. 

It also seems very possible that if they gave him a strong painkiller (standard NFL procedure) that he would be able to play at reduced effectiveness for a time, but eventually it is just no longer possible. 

I don't know that he's telling the truth, but you can't dismiss it based on his ability to walk or jog without limping. 

It was the lateral movements as he left the field that made me doubt him.

As someone who has had more ankle injuries than most people can ever dream of (6 broken ankles, 3 torn ligaments) you do not move like that with ankle pain. 

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

It was the lateral movements as he left the field that made me doubt him.

As someone who has had more ankle injuries than most people can ever dream of (6 broken ankles, 3 torn ligaments) you do not move like that with ankle pain. 

You have to keep in mind these guys have insane levels of pain tolerance before you consider adrenaline and pain shots. I mean, Philip Rivers played a game on a torn ACL.

When I played football in HS I had a high ankle sprain. After a week in a boot I could walk around with a minor limp and after another week I could jog a bit. There’s no way in hell I was ready to play yet though.

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Guess I should have waited a bit:

Make of this what you will. AB doesn't have much credibility, but if an investigation finds this to be mostly accurate, oh boy...

Him (well, his lawyer, as we all know that AB didn't write that) saying how badly his ankle hurt doesn't really jive with how he jogged off the field and did jumping jacks in the end zone.

If I had to guess, he's totally full of shit.

Not that it matters, because his NFL career is effectively over.  The Bucs and Brady were his Last Chance U.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Him (well, his lawyer, as we all know that AB didn't write that) saying how badly his ankle hurt doesn't really jive with how he jogged off the field and did jumping jacks in the end zone.

If I had to guess, he's totally full of shit.

Not that it matters, because his NFL career is effectively over.  The Bucs and Brady were his Last Chance U.

His career is almost certainly over, but to be fair he's been on the injury report several times and missed a game or two I believe over his ankle. And because of that I can't take BA seriously when he said he was unaware that he was hurt. Coaches know the injury status of guys who don't see the field, so there's no way he didn't know about AB's injury. That undercuts his credibility and I don't really believe much of what he's said either over the last few days.

I love that Brown has gone after Brady on social media. Tom Brady was literally his last and best professional ally.

I lost a lot of respect for Brady when he recruited Brown to the Bucs. I hated that Brown earned a Super Bowl ring after sending threatening messages to his trainer who accused him of sexual assault.

Brady looks like the frog that got stung by the scorpion, but at least he didn't make as much of a clown of himself as Bruce "No Second Chances" Arians.

Well I'm rooting for the Niners and Chargers to get through this weekend, since I think those are the better teams.  If that happens, then I think those are probably the 14 best teams in the league, although the playoffs would have been just fine with 12. 

In my pick 'em with my friends, I am in first place going into the final week.  1 point per correct pick, I am two points ahead.

My picks:  Indy

Second place picks:  Vegas, Washington, Green Bay, Cincy

Assuming Indy wins vs Jax, then I will win outright if he goes 2-2, and we tie if he goes 3-1.  All of those games could have an upset, particularly since Cincy and GB might bench their starters for some/all of the game. 

We have an elaborate tiebreaking procedure, so we'll have a true champion by Sunday night. 

On 1/6/2022 at 10:40 AM, Tywin et al. said:

You have to keep in mind these guys have insane levels of pain tolerance before you consider adrenaline and pain shots.

These dudes ain't no Greek warriors, except a tiny fraction of Ripkin-ish types.

A lot of them will sit out for the most delicate of injuries like partially tore mcl's or broken digits. Stuff many of my workmates will work right through for a fraction of the pay.

My mcl is in a state of partial tear for multiple months yearly, it's not that painful if your motivated to work.

A large segment of NFL players are sissies compared to what hardhat tradesman or your ordinary ranch worker will work through.:lmao:

7 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I love that Brown has gone after Brady on social media. Tom Brady was literally his last and best professional ally.

I lost a lot of respect for Brady when he recruited Brown to the Bucs. I hated that Brown earned a Super Bowl ring after sending threatening messages to his trainer who accused him of sexual assault.

Brady looks like the frog that got stung by the scorpion, but at least he didn't make as much of a clown of himself as Bruce "No Second Chances" Arians.

Brady won a ring last year, so I doubt he cares.  

So, I'll preface this by saying if the Niners lose today and finish the season 9-8 (and 1-5 in division games), they don't deserve to make the playoffs. 

But following the scenarios for today one of the tiebreakers doesn't make sense to me.  If the Saints, Eagles, and Niners all finish 9-8, then the Niners don't make it because of conference record.  This is in spite of the fact the Niners beat the Eagles.  I think, objectively, head-to-head should be the first tiebreaker.  If there's a three way tie and each team beat one other (i.e. the Niners beat the Eagles, the Eagles beat the Saints, and the Saints beat the Niners), then fine, go to conference record.  But that's not the case here - the Saints and Niners didn't play each other.

I did a wild in-game parlay for the NY-WFT game just so I’d have literally any interest in watching it. It’s worse than I can ever imagine. Giants did back-to-back QB sneaks for no reason before. The latter coming on a 3rd and 8. What a fucking shit show.

45 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

So this isn’t going well for the Colts. Missing out on the playoffs on the back of a last day loss to the Jaguars isn’t a great way to miss the cut.

And in the process they gave the Eagles their first round pick for Wentz. 

Philly is looking good, heading to the playoffs with a cheap QB and three first round picks next year.

Archived