US Politics: Manchin Shin Drinks the Blood and Cracks the Bone

A True Kaniggit

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

All my smart friends say the same thing. Performance has not matched the tall talk.

I'm sure you hear that all the time

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, since you're going to lose our little side bet anyways, skip the title and just make your next iteration KalBane, and put a little mask on your avi.  Tots am not watching the movie right now while having the Bucs complete failure on the second TV on mute...

You're just nervous that meyer will get signed this week

4 minutes ago, Kalsandra said:

You're just nervous that meyer will get signed this week

0% fear of this. If it happens I'll walk around Minneapolis in my birthday suit for a day. 

KalBane, just make it happen now and don't waste two years of my life so I can laugh at you. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

0% fear of this. If it happens I'll walk around Minneapolis in my birthday suit for a day. 

"Technically a birthday suit is someone's naked skin, not necessarily mine" is in play

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

KalBane, just make it happen now and don't waste two years of my life so I can laugh at you. 

Oh now, I cant possibly do that. For starters it's really lame. Secondly, the notion that for the next two years you get to live wasted because of my lack of name change is too delicious.

1 minute ago, Kalsandra said:

"Technically a birthday suit is someone's naked skin, not necessarily mine" is in play

Alright, if Urban Meyer gets hired in the next twelve days by a top 25 program I will buy a ticket to Kentucky, murder @Rhom, and walk around Louisville wearing his skin, cool? 

Oh now, I cant possibly do that. For starters it's really lame. Secondly, the notion that for the next two years you get to live wasted because of my lack of name change is too delicious.

The lameness is your punishment. You'll suffer more than if I actually had to kill someone and dance around wearing their skin in public.

5 hours ago, 1066 Larry said:

I'm using the $2000 congress gave me last year to hoard rapid tests and sell them at a premium.  Thanks, Omicron!

With that entrepreneur spirit, you are one space flight away from becoming the new Darth Bezos (all hail our space lord supreme btw.).

15 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Why is it always after the primaries and before the general, establishment people are like: “Oh you all did so great, Tiger! You all fought so hard and look how far left you pushed the discourse. You’ll get ‘em next time!”

But when it comes down to negotiating bills, it’s always: “Don’t fight. Sit down, shut up, and take what you can get?”

Seems a lot like white liberals coasting off the labor of marginalized people again.

Can progressives take control of the Democratic Party?  What happens if moderate Democrats stay home or change their votes?  Can Progressives maintain control of the US Congress with only progressive members?

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Can progressives take control of the Democratic Party?  What happens if moderate Democrats stay home or change their votes?  Can Progressives maintain control of the US Congress with only progressive members?

Probably not.  There aren't anywhere near enough of them and they've got most of the money in the country actively working against them.  Even the progressives who do get into Congress rarely push back against the MIC.  With very few exceptions, just being in the position to be elected means you're willing to go along with the mainstream, moderate Dem status quo.

14 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

It’s what I was afraid of after they knifed Bernie in the primary, but I was hoping that Republicans’ nihilism would have taught them some religion. Guess the rot is bone deep.

How is Sanders losing South Carolina and the rest of the Southern States being “knifed”?  Didn’t he have an obligation to win over those voters too?

14 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Dude - the immediate reaction here was establishment backers blaming progressives for fighting too hard - now people are trying to walk shit back like we just didn’t all go over this a couple hours ago.

Establishment Democrats have been playing a too-long, too-cute game of firing up their base to get wins in the primaries all so they can chase swing voters in the general and it hasn’t been working for a while.

Their tactics have finally come back to bite them in the ass - it’s either time for a progressive takeover of the Democratic Party, or progressives are going to abandon it altogether. 

So, are you suggesting that progressives should split from the Democratic Party and use their independent electoral power to take control of the US Congress?

If not what are you saying?

24 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

Probably not.  There aren't anywhere near enough of them and they've got most of the money in the country actively working against them.  Even the progressives who do get into Congress rarely push back against the MIC.  With very few exceptions, just being in the position to be elected means you're willing to go along with the mainstream, moderate Dem status quo.

Yes.  

The next question is what happens if Progressives split from the existing Democratic Party and run on their own platform?

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So, are you suggesting that progressives should split from the Democratic Party and use their independent electoral power to take control of the US Congress?

If not what are you saying?

The Democratic party isn't a vehicle for social change or progress, it is the last obstacle to overcome.  

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes.  

The next question is what happens if Progressives split from the existing Democratic Party and run on their own platform?

Why would they give up what little power they do have?  

I don't keep up with politics because I've already found it to be depressing and futile with respect to the kind of world I would like to see.

But I occasionally will check out this thread. So I have a question for you all.

What exactly do older people want? I'm talking about 30<. They vote for the likes of Trump or Biden, where Trump seems actively harmful to things like climate, the existence of a middle class, egalitarian principles, etc., and Biden is inert and ineffective at addressing these problems. We're in this situation because of the votes of older people. My generation doesn't vote (which of course deserves its own criticism), so it really is the older generations that brought us here. This is the congress they voted for. This is exactly what they asked for with their votes.

What's the big picture here?

13 minutes ago, IFR said:

I don't keep up with politics because I've already found it to be depressing and futile with respect to the kind of world I would like to see.

But I occasionally will check out this thread. So I have a question for you all.

What exactly do older people want? I'm talking about 30<. They vote for the likes of Trump or Biden, where Trump seems actively harmful to things like climate, the existence of a middle class, egalitarian principles, etc., and Biden is inert and ineffective at addressing these problems. We're in this situation because of the votes of older people. My generation doesn't vote (which of course deserves its own criticism), so it really is the older generations that brought us here. This is the congress they voted for. This is exactly what they asked for with their votes.

What's the big picture here?

It's more the sum of the parts they asked for- so many districts are either solidly blue or red that your vote can only do so much*.  I'm 38, I look at the entire process as mostly useless but do the whole lesser-of-two-evils thing.  Which does, pathetically enough, boil down to voting for the corporate shills that aren't quite as anti-LGBTQ, as overtly pro-war, pro-poverty, pro-incarceration, anti-abortion as the other ones.  

*plus overcoming the anti-democratic Senate and Electoral College

Archived