US Politics: Manchin Shin Drinks the Blood and Cracks the Bone

A True Kaniggit

21 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Biden just extended the pause on repayment of student loans. Gotta say, love it that they had to be bullied into do the bare minimum just so that people don't start to expect them to do good things without a fight. It's like the Democrats are allergic to doing the right thing in a way that doesn't make them look as feckless as possible.

Hey at least they are available to be bullied.

4 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

That's the tough thing about leftist candidates at the moment--they're either very old, or very young. We don't have many good options in between Warren's age and the Squad. Unless there's a hidden superstar out there we don't know about.

Pressley is the same age as Obama was when he won the presidency. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

She's not eligible to run for the presidency, which is what I thought Simon was talking about.

Oh.  Maybe.  I missed that part.  And I didn't realize she was ineligible.  Should have looked at her bio a little closer.  But in general, I tend to like her from what I see out there.

48 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Exactly who I was going to mention. Big Ayanna Pressley fan. I expect she'll move over to the Senate after Markey's next term (assuming bigger ambitions don't come first).

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

100%. I took the LSAT twice, once as a senior and again a year or so later and both times was in the mid 160's range, which is solid but not elite. I took that combined with a 3.9 GPA and just called admissions offices up and asked what my general prospects were. Berkley was the only top 10 school that said I could maybe get in, no chance at a scholarship, some top 25 schools said I'd likely get in, but again, little or no scholarship chances for at least the first year. I called some other random schools in the top 50 and then my best prospects were a 50% scholarship.

In hindsight maybe I should have gone to Hawaii's law school. They told me I'd likely get most of the costs covered, but then I'd probably have been stuck on that island for the rest of my life. Oh well.

The point is a lot of people who are trying to sell you on a solution for the larger problem don't actually have one, not one that is at least as workable as they say. 

I am a bit confused here. Once you get your law degree send pass the bar exam got your state, are you not then fully qualified to practice law in that state? Do judges and juries rate your legal arguments by your choice of law school? A rich fool with a Harvard law degree is not a better choice for a client than a lawyer who went to night school and is smart and creative.

44 minutes ago, Week said:

Exactly who I was going to mention. Big Ayanna Pressley fan. I expect she'll move over to the Senate after Markey's next term (assuming bigger ambitions don't come first).

I really like her as well and think she'll climb the ladder one way or another. But I'm also unsure if she can unite the two wings of the party and win nationally. Frankly it's hard to see someone who can do that right now from the left. Harris and Castro couldn't. AOC maybe the one, but she's too young (and she may find more power in being a lioness of the Senate alongside Pressley). 

30 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I am a bit confused here. Once you get your law degree send pass the bar exam got your state, are you not then fully qualified to practice law in that state? Do judges and juries rate your legal arguments by your choice of law school? A rich fool with a Harvard law degree is not a better choice for a client than a lawyer who went to night school and is smart and creative.

In a better world sure, but more often than not that's not how it works. 

27 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I probably should let the lawyers answer this, but I would think the opinions of judges would be the least part of the problem here. Even if judges didn't pay attention to what law school someone had their degree from, I am sure that prospective clients, especially the more wealthy ones, often do, and that if one has graduated from a more prestigious school one is much more likely to get a job at a big well-known law firm that can afford to pay one a big salary.  Most prospective clients are of course not going to have the resources to find out who the "rich fools" are before they have to hire a lawyer, and so will go with making decisions based on the prestige of where one got one's degree, or more likely, the prestige of the firm, and the best-known firms themselves I believe are notoriously prejudiced toward hiring grads of the top law schools.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I like Pressley, but I'm not sure how well she'd do--and I guess I should say, she's young in terms of service. She's been in the House for 2.5 years. Obama was a senator, (and a state senator) and he faced lots of criticism for being too ill-prepared. 

As to your AOC comment in another post--she's my favorite, hands down, but she's not the right candidate for uniting. The centrists hate her, and a vocal minority of leftists are claiming she's a sellout. It could be that those are leftists who would never vote anyway, but Jimmy Dore and his ilk have been smearing her for the entire year. She's in a bad spot politically at the moment. Things can change, but I also think she has changed a lot since the insurrection. It terrified her. She's become a lot quieter and less willing to fight, and I can't blame her--at some point, the death threats might have an effect on you. 

12 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I probably should let the lawyers answer this, but I would think the opinions of judges would be the least part of the problem here. Even if judges didn't pay attention to what law school someone had their degree from, I am sure that prospective clients, especially the more wealthy ones, often do, and that if one has graduated from a more prestigious school one is much more likely to get a job at a big well-known law firm that can afford to pay one a big salary.  Most prospective clients are of course not going to have the resources to find out who the "rich fools" are before they have to hire a lawyer, and so will go with making decisions based on the prestige of where one got one's degree, or more likely, the prestige of the firm, and the best-known firms themselves I believe are notoriously prejudiced toward hiring grads of the top law schools.

A lawyer I know told me once he likes to get MDs on the stand for labour law cases. The first question he always asks them is what medical school they attended. Whatever the answer he then asks why the couldn't get into (insert slightly more prestigious school)? 

I always figured this is a good way to deal with pretentious twits. 

2 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I like Pressley, but I'm not sure how well she'd do--and I guess I should say, she's young in terms of service. She's been in the House for 2.5 years. Obama was a senator, (and a state senator) and he faced lots of criticism for being too ill-prepared. 

An alleged rapist with no experience won the presidency and expanded his vote total by over 11,000,000. That shit doesn't matter anymore. FFS people wanted The Rock to be president, including yours truly if it meant Trump lost.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

An alleged rapist with no experience won the presidency and expanded his vote total by over 11,000,000. That shit doesn't matter anymore. FFS people wanted The Rock to be president, including yours truly if it meant Trump lost.

If she were a Republican, maybe you'd be right. Dems seem to really want Biden-esque candidates. And Trump was a white man, not a woman of color. 

8 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

If she were a Republican, maybe you'd be right. Dems seem to really want Biden-esque candidates. And Trump was a white man, not a woman of color. 

I don't think Dems want another Biden, he was just a bridge when no one else was really viable.

4 minutes ago, Kalsandra said:

A woman of color ain't gonna win anything any time soon in the US unless she's conservative. Cute fantasy though. 

To be clear I don't think she'll ever be nominated, but I wouldn't say this with such certainty. Oprah, for example, could have beaten Trump in 2020.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

In a better world sure, but more often than not that's not how it works. 

So, the issue is that law is divided into BigLaw and everyone else.  BigLaw itself has tiers.  If you can land a top-tier BigLaw job, your starting salary, fresh out of law school, knowing nothing, is . . . .wait for it. . . .$205,000 (plus bonus, whatever that happens to be), with stepped market increases every year until you make partner or give up in disgust (or get smart and take an in house position :)).  Other BigLaw starting salaries will be in the $150-180 range.  If not, you will probably start at more like $45-50K.  However, law school education is priced as if everyone gets the $200K entry level position.  

In order to land the BigLaw job, you either need to be in a feeder school, or in the top, say 10%, of a good local school, or maybe the top 10 of a less good local school.  I've sat on my firm's hiring committee for over a decade.  It is absolutely the case that we are overlooking people who would be good lawyers at non top-25 firms.  We've recently expanded our reach to the top 10% at non-local schools where we have had really good luck (Wake Forest, University of Arizona, BYU come to mind) for that very reason.  And I would rather have a top 10% person from, say Emory, than someone from the bottom half of, say Harvard (and many Yalies are useless).  But, on average, we take less risk hiring solidly from the top third of Columbia, NYU, Georgetown, Harvard, Duke, Chicago, Northwestern, Stanford, Boalt, etc. etc. etc. etc. than from, e.g., the same pool at Brooklyn Law.  And our peers are the same (or worse?).  In any event, that means that there are a lot of people who are paying champagne prices and ending up with lemon juice.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Hidden Superstar to win the Presidency for Democrats? :idea:

@DMC time to get serious about your ambitions instead of being jelly over the youn folks in Chile and Finland running their country. 

I'd just have to drop out when one of you assholes leaks my posting history.

I agree that Pressley would be better served in the Senate and has her eye on Markey's seat - he'll be 80 in 2026.

Archived