What to expect in House of the Dragon

EggBlue

as we know, House of the Dragons is on the way. we could hope this show could potentially be a great one since the story is COMPLETE. though, we should pray the plot  won't be drastically altered or rushed, for HBO is hasty and full of errors.

nonetheless , considering there are too many main and supporting characters in the story and some parts are just too harsh for a TV show that's looking to a wide variety of audience other than the book fandom, I imagine it's understandable that there will be some whitewash , omission and changes. but what will they be?

these are the first things that came to my mind:

Daemon Targaryen : the Rogue Prince has many many many flaws! it's easy to hate him but it seems the show is setting him up as the leading male character.. at least in season 1. therefore , I'm guessing they'll have to make him more likeable. first of all, I think they'll age him down a lot to be closer in age to his niece/wife. after all , incest is disturbing as it is and it is even more so when it's between a middle aged uncle and his young adult niece. I also expect them to omit Rae Royce since she has no role in the story.

Raena Targaryen : Daemon has two daughters : one of them -Baela- will damage Sunfyre enough to die after it was actually healing from its wounds , while the other -Raena chilled in Vale. although I know Rhaena is important to us book fans , I guess there's a good chance we won't have the the dragon twins together.

Jaehaera Targaryen: if any of Aegon II's children won't survive the adaptation , it'll be the princess who was shipped off to Stormsend offscreen and later on commits suicide. Maelor's death is too brutal but the Blood & Cheese incident and Helaena's breakdown requires both sons. 

Cregan Stark and Lord Dustin: Lord Dustin is the one who lead the Winter Wolves for queen Rhaenaera and his familiar surname was a nice touch to the story. meanwhile, Cregan was barely  in the story especially if they want to be hasty with Jace's journey (which I think could easily take one season until he comes back and realizes his brother's dead and his mother's depressed) but his name is Stark and let's face it .. Starks were the stars of GoT. I suppose Cregan could take up Dustin's role until  he vanishes for some time and come back for the hour of the wolf.

Black Aly and Bloody Ben Blackwood: I don't think black Aly would be omitted. in fact, she can easily be the "cool girl" of the series.. the one in the war with her bow. not to mention , she is a future Stark so there you have fan-service. besides , if Cregan becomes Dustin , they could flesh out Cregan-Alys romance a bit. but that will probably mean there's not enough room for both Blackwoods. which is a shame .. I for one love to see Bloody little Ben on TV.

Alys Rivers: I can't make up my mind about her. there is honestly not much story for the showrunners to go with, unless George has given them some extra notes. she is a witch and she could easily become the ultimate evil woman who seduced Aemond ( just like how they portrayed Mel at the beginning ) but if George has given them something to work with , she could be interesting and we could see where Aemond had been when he burnt down Riverlands on a daily basis. not to forget , she is an attractive woman having an affair with a younger (also attractive) man , so, I guess HBO won't pass on a good sex scene:/

what do you think? who will make it to the screen and who won't?

My question is: is season 1 going to cover all of the Dance? Because since some characters only appear at a later part of the war (like Cregan) they might not even show up this season.

In any case I'm pretty sure they won't omit the Starks or the Blackwoods. But I've also wondered if they're going to change the Targaryen family tree, namely by reducing it and changing the family relations.

6 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

My question is: is season 1 going to cover all of the Dance?

I believe the series will about just the Dance. the aftermath and the regents' era might seem a little dry or action-less for TV. 

6 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

Because since some characters only appear at a later part of the war (like Cregan) they might not even show up this season.

If they aren't going for a rushed story telling , they would spend this whole season on Targaryens before Viserys's death. 

but my question is about the series as a whole , regardless of how many of these characters will show up this season.

On 12/26/2021 at 11:32 AM, Lady Anna said:

My question is: is season 1 going to cover all of the Dance? Because since some characters only appear at a later part of the war (like Cregan) they might not even show up this season.

There's no way.

You could technically spend 2 or 3 seasons building up to the Dance.

On 12/19/2021 at 4:47 PM, EggBlue said:

Raena Targaryen : Daemon has two daughters : one of them -Baela- will damage Sunfyre enough to die after it was actually healing from its wounds , while the other -Raena chilled in Vale. although I know Rhaena is important to us book fans , I guess there's a good chance we won't have the the dragon twins together.

Rhaena Targaryen is important as she is the sole remaining dragonrider at the end of the Dance.

I think Alys Rivers is part of the reason why the dragons died off.

So, if they do a post-Dance season with the Hour of the Wolf and the regency, then you have your final showdown.

On 12/19/2021 at 4:47 PM, EggBlue said:

Jaehaera Targaryen: if any of Aegon II's children won't survive the adaptation , it'll be the princess who was shipped off to Stormsend offscreen and later on commits suicide. Maelor's death is too brutal but the Blood & Cheese incident and Helaena's breakdown requires both sons. 

Interesting. It can be done....especially if you want to completely omit the regency era.

However, if there is no Jaehaera, then Aegon II's situation at the end of the Dance changes SIGNIFICANTLY which therefore changes the entire ending SIGNIFICANTLY

I don't know if that's a good idea to do.

2 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Rhaena Targaryen is important as she is the sole remaining dragonrider at the end of the Dance.

I agree that she is important to the general story.

I think Alys Rivers is part of the reason why the dragons died off.

interesting .finally an agenda for Alys but what made you come to this conclusion? unfortunately ,we really don't know much about her. 

So, if they do a post-Dance season with the Hour of the Wolf and the regency, then you have your final showdown.

Interesting. It can be done....especially if you want to completely omit the regency era.

However, if there is no Jaehaera, then Aegon II's situation at the end of the Dance changes SIGNIFICANTLY which therefore changes the entire ending SIGNIFICANTLY

I don't know if that's a good idea to do.

I think all the main and secondary characters (including all the above) are important to the large picture. question is how much of the book will be covered in this show and what the showrunners take is. do they want to adapt the "game of thrones" parts? the wars? or do they want to have the magical element of it (the dying of the dragons and the witches ) as a highlight? 

I assumed that their approach won't be that different from GoT , especially in the last seasons. so , magic to a minimum and mostly fireworks! which means the story of the dance ending in Aegon II's death . I personally liked the regency era a lot but it's mostly cold-war which might be different in tone from the rest of the dance.

31 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

I think all the main and secondary characters (including all the above) are important to the large picture. question is how much of the book will be covered in this show and what the showrunners take is. do they want to adapt the "game of thrones" parts? the wars? or do they want to have the magical element of it (the dying of the dragons and the witches ) as a highlight? 

I assumed that their approach won't be that different from GoT , especially in the last seasons. so , magic to a minimum and mostly fireworks! which means the story of the dance ending in Aegon II's death . I personally liked the regency era a lot but it's mostly cold-war which might be different in tone from the rest of the dance.

Well, Jaehaera is both Aegon II's sole heir (the political crux of his last stand as it were) and an extreme textbook example of dramatic and situational irony.

Because now with only Jaehaera, Aegon II now finds himself in a position where he is both creating another Rhaenyra and is basically proving that Rhaenyra was right all along.

That's huge to the story.

54 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Well, Jaehaera is both Aegon II's sole heir (the political crux of his last stand as it were) and an extreme textbook example of dramatic and situational irony.

Because now with only Jaehaera, Aegon II now finds himself in a position where he is both creating another Rhaenyra and is basically proving that Rhaenyra was right all along.

That's huge to the story.

i agree with you. I hope they keep her.

On 1/4/2022 at 3:03 PM, Alysanne Donnelly said:

The only thing I want from this series is pretty clothes. That's all I can expect now.

I expect the dragons to look really cool too

On 1/3/2022 at 3:31 PM, EggBlue said:

i agree with you. I hope they keep her.

Besides, they can make the "Hour of the Wolf"/regency period a lot more interesting by misdirecting audiences into believing that Jaehaera's suicide was actually a murder or something (or vice versa) and leaning into the medieval murder mystery element.

• 1 month later...

good news and bad news:

it seems that Rhaena will be in the series, but Luke will most likely die in the first season ... apparently , Visenya's funeral will be in episode 7 or 8 which means the series will be rushed:frown5:

(these news aren't exactly new but I just found out about them)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 2:27 PM, EggBlue said:

good news and bad news:

it seems that Rhaena will be in the series, but Luke will most likely die in the first season ... apparently , Visenya's funeral will be in episode 7 or 8 which means the series will be rushed:frown5:

(these news aren't exactly new but I just found out about them)

Wow.

So, it sounds like to me that they will be telling the story by having the past events take place at the same time as current events.

3 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Wow.

So, it sounds like to me that they will be telling the story by having the past events take place at the same time as current events.

:dunno: apparently past events will be in first 6 episodes.

• 1 month later...

The events leading up to the Dance of the Dragons. The Great Council of Harrenhal. We'll see the Dragonpit before it's ruin. We'll get to see more Targaryen dragons. We'll get to see members of House Velaryon, another Valyrian family that had a reputation for being master seafarers. 

A massive civil war in the Seven Kingdoms that was fought between rival branches of House Targaryen. The war of succession emerged between the children of the late Viserys I Targaryen, his eldest daughter, Rhaenyra and his eldest son, Aegon II, over who should succeed their father to the Iron Throne. The civil war would ultimately see the death of both rival claimants, leaving Rhaenyra's son and Aegon II's nephew, Aegon III to ascend to the throne.

The conflict names is derived by it being the only major war in Westeros in which both sides had dragons. It was also the first full-scale civil war to ever take place in the Seven Kingdoms. During the Dance, brother fought brother, Targaryen fought Targaryen, and dragon fought dragon. The conflict would prove to be incredibly destructive for not only House Targaryen, but large parts of Westeros as well. In addition, it devastated the Targaryen's dragon population, ultimately leading to their extinction within a few decades.

• 3 months later...

They acknowledge its a change from the canon, at least, rather than gaslighting people into believing they didn't read the text properly as some have tried. They also make some other changes to try and make it better fit in to the world.

It doesn't bear too close examination, admittedly, but for the purposes of the show with its own canon its fine.

I've got to say , I'm impressed with House of the Dragon so far and this is not solely based on the first episode . apparently , they are not whitewashing anyone and they haven't omitted any of the main and secondary characters.  as you can read above , I did not expect this at all! 

@Corvo the Crow have you watched the first episode? I know it can be disappointing not to see the characters as described in the books but it's a fantasy not a history you can distort  ,so, I suggest you give this season a try and decide whether you can look passed the cast's appearances or not ! I know I won't watch the rest of it if a certain rumor of a leaked scene happens!  besides, to be fair although there is diversity in the book world, there is not much of it in any of its written stories.

Yes, I think it's pretty remarkable that they're managing to get so many of the characters mentioned in F&B in there, even minor ones. They've obviously made some choices and compromises here and there, but when they said it was very faithful to the story, it is. You can mostly see how the story we get in F&B is there in the broad outline, with just details filled and some of the events rearranged. Honestly, the most jarring change is ... compressing the events so a lot of things happen when Rhaenyra is a teenager rather than when she's a child, and also aging Alicent down gives a different tenor to things.

15 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yes, I think it's pretty remarkable that they're managing to get so many of the characters mentioned in F&B in there, even minor ones. They've obviously made some choices and compromises here and there, but when they said it was very faithful to the story, it is. You can mostly see how the story we get in F&B is there in the broad outline, with just details filled and some of the events rearranged. Honestly, the most jarring change is ... compressing the events so a lot of things happen when Rhaenyra is a teenager rather than when she's a child, and also aging Alicent down gives a different tenor to things.

wait a minute...I thought Alicent's age was the same and just Rhaenyra was aged up:dunno: 

11 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

wait a minute...I thought Alicent's age was the same and just Rhaenyra was aged up:dunno: 

No, Rhaenyra's age tracks with the timeline. In the 9th year of her father's reign, 111-112, she'd be 14-15, and that's what she is on the show. But Alicent in the book is nearly a decade older.

Archived