What compromise will be found between the Stark children ?

. . . I’m back. I still haven’t read most of the comments, but of the ones I did, I have some thoughts.

Bran The setup for Bran as a ruler is written all over ACOK. Luwin’s dying words are him telling Bran that he’s Ned’s “true son.” Bran becoming king in the end will make much more sense if he leads Winterfell through the Long Night. If Rickon dies, then it makes sense that Sansa would become the Lady of Winterfell by way of being next in line. 

Tyrion I don’t blame Tyrion for his marriage to Sansa, because he did offer her the chance to marry one of his younger cousins. It’s still a messed up situation, but I don’t consider him a monster for it. That said, I see their marriage as a plot device planted by George to prevent any of Littlefinger’s marriage plans from coming to fruition. I do think it will be annulled eventually, but not until we reach a point where Sansa is able to escape/overcome Littlefinger.

Sansa Her not backing up Arya’s account about the Ruby Ford incident happened when she was a kid and most importantly, Sansa’s wolf was killed because of it, not Arya’s. I don’t understand how so many people overlook this. Lady was killed because Sansa lied, not Nymeria. Sansa has already been punished for her decision. 

One giant question mark for Sansa’s future is Brienne. I genuinely don’t know what’s going to happen to her.

As far as marriage goes, maybe Sansa can marry Whoresbane Umber and keep a paramour in secret. Rhaenyra did it. (There’s also the maybe-not-unintentional fact that the Hound has dark hair and grey eyes like a Stark. All that Unkiss/bloody cloak stuff has to lead somewhere, right? Lol) 

Jon I really don’t know. He was only king on the show for about five seconds. I think he’ll be on the road for most of the rest of the series. To be honest, the fact that he only made it a few months as LC before getting assassinated isn’t a great sign for leadership skills.

One of the biggest problems with predicting the Stark kids’ futures is that none of them have really shown a desire to rule. 

3 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

What should SansaxWhoresbane’s ship name be? :P :cheers:

I tremble with fear if Sansa ever marries a guy known as WHORESBANE! we never realized why he is called whoresbane... did we?

2 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

He is rumored to have killed a male prostitute when he studied at the Citadel. It’s implied that Whoresbane is gay.

ha! why would he kill the poor prostitute though?! he doesn't seem stable... 

14 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

If I remember correctly, the prostitute stole from him.

that's reasonable ... 

can I ask how you thought of this match?!! I just checked the wiki and not only he is brutal and probably gay, he is also 60 years old with a long white beard... on top of that he is not set inherit anything:huh:

26 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

that's reasonable ... 

can I ask how you thought of this match?!! I just checked the wiki and not only he is brutal and probably gay, he is also 60 years old with a long white beard... on top of that he is not set inherit anything:huh:

Hahaha I only suggested him because he's northern and gay. So Sansa wouldn't have to sleep with him if she didn't want to. Nevertheless, it was a joke. 

14 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

You have some decent text perception. You are wrong about Sansa not going to KL though and that is a key thing to understand as so much of the groundwork and arc relates to it. Take a step back. It is pawn to player and KL is where the players play, there's only one prize and it's in KL. The Vale is a training ground, it's a mini KL with intricate house relationships on a smaller scale. It is for Sansa to learn to play there (probably have a failure too to learn from), and from there to graduate to KL. One doesn't become queen from the Vale, no-one has ever ran the realm from the Eyrie, there's a limit to the power one can gain there and the pawn to player arc of the series is not going to limit herself.

A large part of playing is how the mob perceives one, in Sansa's presence, mostly through her POV we witness how Cersei poorly handles the mob, contrasted to how Marge handles it well. Sansa is almost murdered by them. King's Landing is the only place the text has bothered to make substantial the collective small folk, to make them a true factor, it's for good reason, that's the only place they're going to matter in a manner that requires any kind of depth. They're a factor in the game of thrones, a force that may be weaponised by a skilful player.

Multiple factions with which a player can treat and play will be based out of KL. The second Dance will be in large part a religious war, the Faith are becoming very powerful and they will determine a great deal of things in the realm. They're based in KL and proximity to them will be extremely helpful. Over time multiple factions will hold KL and being able to play from within them will be important. The main lesson in being Alayne is remaining inconspicuous while being in the room, and all the rooms to be in will be in KL. The meetings between the important parties, the small councils, almost every piece of information of worth will flow through KL.

KL is the viper's pit. She went there a pawn and was made a victim. It's for her to return there and conquer. She was the worst of liars there,

and it is her arc to become the best. And the text is readying to test her lying skills, is she good enough to fool Arya's borderline magic lying tests? Tyrion's blanket mistrust? And what will be the biggest one, can she even fool a Hound's nose?

And because you were wondering about Arya. Arya can go anywhere, she had that skill to fall in with the smallfolk even before she became a face changing ninja actor pretending at parts. Arya made herself familiar with the base levels of Braavos and is already familiar with some of KL, as we the reader have too been made. The Kindly Men specifically have Arya collect and bring back information to base. What Sansa and Arya are becoming go hand in hand, Sansa runs the game and Arya is the grunt, and the only place with the diversity of character, scenarios, locations and the like to make use of these talents is KL and on extension the South. Sansa will run game in KL, Arya will be her catspaw. In Sansa's arc the solars and halls of the Eyrie and Gates of the Moon will become the chambers, septs and throne room of KL. In Arya's, the House of Black and White and the Braavos docks, whore houses, markets and streets will become the Red Keep, Great Sept and Flea Bottom with all its delicious flavours.

Here I'll quote the wiki to get the point across. King's Landing was probably created as commentary on the game of thrones. Like the rotten stink was probably created so GRRM could put in lines like this.

You maybe correct in the all roads lead to Rome(KL), maybe not. My thoughts on the acquisition of power are independent of Kings Landing. She can achieve power with out being in KL. After she achieves this power, KL very well could be on the radar. 

The Vale being a training ground, yes absolutely. She learned many harsh lessons almost as soon as she left WF, but those were lessons of a pawn. The training or practicing she is getting now will be one of Player. I wasn't thinking along the lines of her ruling as Queen, as the only path to power. A power base that puts her in control of one of the Vale or Riverlands or both is enough to make her a powerful player(especially if an army comes with it). I see the set up for her as queen, but have difficulty seeing it actually happen if Dany is around. Doesn't mean she wouldn't have influence.

Love your thoughts on the mob, it mirrors my own. The contrast of Cersei and Marg is worth noting. If/when she ends up in KL, she will not be inconspicuous though imo. She will already be a Player.

I like the idea of the symmetry between Sansa and Arya's skill set. Makes sense, but maybe a little to neat and tidy. It is possible for them to work towards a similar goal without working together. i.e. Sansa on the political side, and Arya just seeking vengeance independently for the Starks(Frey pies)

16 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Hahaha I only suggested him because he's northern and gay. So Sansa wouldn't have to sleep with him if she didn't want to. Nevertheless, it was a joke. 

It just occurred to me that this is what Rhaena did, just with some role reversal. She found herself a beard, married him, and had fun with her mistress instead :smoking:

43 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It just occurred to me that this is what Rhaena did, just with some role reversal. She found herself a beard, married him, and had fun with her mistress instead :smoking:

Until her husband was fed up with being treated like shit and poisonned all of her mistresses in revenge.

20 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

George doesn’t really focus too much on policy besides “people need food.”

Honestly, all government policy pretty much revolves around the idea " people need food."

That said, Sansa doesn't seem to be a policymaker in the making. She is shaping up to be more of a diplomat, an advisor and a grande hôtesse

5 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Honestly, all government policy pretty much revolves around the idea " people need food."

That said, Sansa doesn't seem to be a policymaker in the making. She is shaping up to be more of a diplomat, an advisor and a grande hôtesse

Well, we see Tyrion try to handle the economics* in ASOS, and in the later books we see Dany/Jon/Cersei all deal with land disputes, inheritance, feuds, etc. They were all pretty bad at it (although according to the GRRM-endorsed Meereenese Blot, Dany actually was a good leader who decided that she just wanted throw in the towel and burn shit). It will be interesting if we see Sansa take on a diplomatic role for one of her brothers and has to go treat with different leaders like Cat did in ACOK. I think Sansa will be better at it than her mother was.

*The fact that Tyrion was able to follow Littlefinger’s trail as Master of Coin shows just how dumb the I-can’t-kill-Littlefinger-because-he’s-too-valuable plot device was. Tywin has no compunctions about dismissing LF from the council and appointing someone else in his place.

I think both Sansa and Bran's stories will be connected to Jon. LF might want to try something relating fAegon* for Sansa but I don't see her story actually getting to that. 

* I'd just like to add , Varys's supposedly careful years of planning would seem rather pathetic if LF knew remotely abbot fAegon before he reached Westeros! the more story evolves , the more I think LF never had or will have a major plan and that he's a simply an opportunist who takes advantage of every situation and from time to time stirs up enmity between others to lift himself up in the process ... his motivation for Jon Arryn's murder is truly suspicious but it might well turn out that JA was figuring out about LF's embezzlement or something..:dunno:

On 1/28/2022 at 4:22 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

What should SansaxWhoresbane’s ship name be? :P :cheers:

No Whoresbane for Sansa, he is all Loras’. Loras is into big guys and ones that are older than him and remember Whoresbane had this incident in the Reach where Loras is from so he’ll prefer the flowery Reach boys. Perfect couple there. 

Archived