Chess: Observing the Mating Patterns of King, Queens and Bishops.

A Horse Named Stranger

• 2 weeks later...

Not surprising he is suing. No way he can claim damages of 100m. That would easily exceed what he could realistically hope to earn from his chess career by factor of 8 (I guess). 

Carlsen is worth 100m+, but that has a lot to do with him being WCC and being the top dog for well over a decade, and that he was able to monetize on it heavily with his Play Magnus Group, which he sold off recently. Niemann would never earn that money.

On a related note, Niemann's mentor Max Dlugy was also not happy to be thrown into this discussion, and is also seeking legal advice.

15 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Not sure he has a case, but hey - it's the US. You're supposed to sue for fantasy money.

I'm hopeful the lawsuit can bring to light more about chess.com's methodology (their so called forensic analysis) that supposedly proves Niemann is a cheater. I've been going back and forth on this, but where I fall down is here: I think he has used computer analysis in online games more than the twice that he admits, but in OTB games he probably doesnt.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tournament was decided by van Foreest in the final two rounds.

Had he been able to convert against Giri in the penultimate round, Abdusattorov wouldn't have overpushed against Jorden in the final round and walks away as the tournament winner. 

Having that said, happy for Anish. He has finished runner up so often in his home tournament, that he has earnt that lucky break.

Keymer with an extremely unlucky tournament. 

Ding was rather disappointing, curious whether he was hiding quite a bit of his prep for the upcoming match against Nepo, or if he was just in poor form.

• 1 month later...

Time to update this thread a bit, the Nepo-Ding match is starting soonish, but I am here for something else.

I am here to answer the question, that's been on everybody's mind, what is Karjakin doing these days.

Also he is in the running to be next president of the RUssian Chess Federation.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Proof if we ever needed more that being good at chess and being smart isn't the same thing.

ETA: about the upcoming WC match .. who would you consider most likely to win? I feel this one's more open and reliant on form.

Edited by Rorschach - 2

Tough to call, I'd consider Nepo slight favorite due to him having played a WC already.

The match is held in Astana, I am fairly sure Nepo has left Russia for the time being, I am just not sure where he moved. But Astana has been a very popular choice for Russians fleeing. E.g. Dubov has moved there, too. With Nepo I am not sure, whether he moved to Astana or Serbia.

Update on Russian Chessplayers moving elsewhere, small sample of players that do not reside in Russia (any longer).

Motylev moved to Serbia, as did Demchenko

Dubov and Shimanov reside in Astana

Esipenko is staying with friends in Spain and France (he has no interested in being drafted into military service).

Evgeny Romanov (not a big name, but since he was first to go public...) switched federations completely and is now representing Norway

Alexander Predke and his girlfriend moved to Istanbul

Andreikin moved to Macedonia

Fedoseev, Alekseenko and Yuffa moved to Spain. Vitiugov moved his residence to Spain years ago, and has gone public stating he doesn't see a future for himself in Russia

Oparin is studying in the US (Saint Louis obviously).

Quite an impressive list.

Agree that Nepo having done a WC match might help him, if he manages to stay calm. Should he start to lose, he's erratic enough that Ding will pick him apart. It will be interesting to see.

For me, should I have to flee Russia, the warmth in Spain is kinda a good selling point. I'd consider that over up here.