What should become of the Dreadfort and the Bolton lands after their defeat ?

It would depend on what the Starks want to do once they get control of WF (which I think will happen). Walda Bolton is pregnant so if the Starks could let the Boltons keep the Dreadfort. But I think it's more likely the Boltons will be stripped of their lands and the Dreadfort will be awarded to someone else. Maybe one of the wildlings if they decide to stay south.

• 4 weeks later...

I can see a scenario where Walda's child with Roose is fostered with another family, regardless of sex. Family teaches Baby Bolton right from wrong and hopefully becomes a respected member when he/she comes of age. 

On 2/20/2022 at 4:23 PM, Apoplexy said:

It would depend on what the Starks want to do once they get control of WF (which I think will happen). Walda Bolton is pregnant so if the Starks could let the Boltons keep the Dreadfort. But I think it's more likely the Boltons will be stripped of their lands and the Dreadfort will be awarded to someone else. Maybe one of the wildlings if they decide to stay south.

After having already given their chances many times to the Boltons despite their legendary feud and the fact that the Boltons rebelled at least once, and the gravity of their crimes and treason this time I strongly doubt that the Starks will take another chance with the Boltons.

30 minutes ago, Northern Sword said:

Makes sense if it goes to a Wilding. I'd give it to Tormund Giants Bane. If not him, someone else that has come to the Starks defense when needed. Failing that, maybe a left over Stark that survives.

It may be house Thenn, Sighorn and Alys Karstark, who may inherit of the Bolton lands, at least the main land while some smaller portions could be given to other houses as rewards for loyalty. 

My question is 'Why hasn't it happened before?'  We know that previous Boltons have rebelled, killed their lords, 'worn Stark skins' in the past. What props them up? I suspect that whatever it is will remain in place thorough whatever turmoil lies ahead for the North and we will see a Bolton kneel to a Stark and keep the Bolton lands before the series ends.  Maybe Theon becomes a Bolton after being a Stark a while and holds the Dreadfort for Rickon (or whoever) in the future. By whatever means though, I suspect that the Bolton lands will be held by nominal Boltons.

Absolutely no way the lands will go to a wildling. The lands of the dreadfort still have many other lords and masterly houses sworn to them. Not to forget granting those lands to a wildling will be a slap on the face to other northern lords. And the ones that neighbour the Bolton lands won’t be too happy about having a wildling for a neighbour.

On 12/23/2021 at 10:57 AM, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Once Roose and Ramsay are dead and that house Bolton is finally defeated and eradicated forever, what do you think should happen to their ancestral lands and of the Dreadfort ?

Will their lands and castle be given to one or several new houses ? Who could possibly get these lands from the returning Stark children or a victorious Stannis ?

Could the Bolton lands be divided between the neighboring houses such as the Umbers, the Manderlys, Karstarks and Hornwoods or their vassals ? 

Will the Dreadfort be occupied again or could it be abandonned or even put to the torch like Ramsay did to Winterfell as a symbolic way of showing the end of house Bolton ?

The White walkers will make that choice. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2022 at 9:14 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Plenty of land to raise several Wildling Lords, if you ask me. Gerrick Kingsblood with his red hair can take the seat of "Red Kings" Karstarks laid claim to Hornwood IIRC so Alys can take that if Harrion survives but the closest relation are Tallharts and they even said they'd take the name.

Bolding Mine...as have the Manderlys and IIRC the Cerwyns

The North doesn’t belong to the Starks by divine right, they won it by conquest and held it by strength, in a way we would look upon as tyranny. Of course so too the Boston’s with their vassals. Feudal treason is a pretty iffy concept, and vassalage in Westeros in particular seems to be something of an extended peace treaty amongst former ~ equals when one overpowered or out-plotted the other. This is more akin to France or pre-Conquest England. Post conquest England was largely carved up and handed out to William’s followers, men who had no claim at all to those lands before being given them, and even there vassals often got away with a little light treason from time to time, and the crown often wasn’t in a place to tear down houses root and branch because the other lords would see that as a direct threat to their own authority/security. The Starks almost certainly didn’t leave house Bolton in place out of magnanimity, but rather either because they came to peace terms or to retain order amongst their other vassals.  

It’s also worth remembering that Starks have certainly committed plenty of atrocities themselves down the years. Remember too that Ned and Ned’s idea of honour and leadership are more Arryn than Stark; his brother Brandon and possibly Rickon or Arya might be more typical of Stark demeanour. And his father too was already considered unusual himself for putting so much emphasis on diplomacy and interaction with Southron houses. Point being historical Starks and Boltons probably didn’t behave much differently. 

Ramsay is probably my least favourite character in the books, so this is not yay! Team Bolton! But in order for so many houses to sustain and retain their lands for thousands and thousands of years, there has to be some seriously abnormal dynamics in play which heavily stress a direct connection between houses and holdings. Possibly it’s just a matter of the closest blood relative habitually adopting the house name, or maybe First Night rights were used to allow the lord to raise his preferred amongst a slew of bastards in the event his direct line failed, and possibly that system and conservation has been slowly breaking down since Alysanne. 

Anyways, if there is a new house, in addition to suggested wildlings or Pooles or what have you, other ideas might be Lawrence Snow, or rewarding sons of Riverland houses who ultimately paid a heavier price for Stark loyalty, and with less cause, than most northern ones. Or you could just establish a cadet Stark branch through one of Ned’s kids who survives but doesn’t get Winterfell. 

• 4 months later...
On 3/15/2022 at 6:26 PM, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

My question is 'Why hasn't it happened before?'  We know that previous Boltons have rebelled, killed their lords, 'worn Stark skins' in the past. What props them up? I suspect that whatever it is will remain in place thorough whatever turmoil lies ahead for the North and we will see a Bolton kneel to a Stark and keep the Bolton lands before the series ends.  Maybe Theon becomes a Bolton after being a Stark a while and holds the Dreadfort for Rickon (or whoever) in the future. By whatever means though, I suspect that the Bolton lands will be held by nominal Boltons.

GRRM needed to have a Token Evil Teammate, and an obvious traitor choice amongst the northern houses for who would betray the Starks in the story.

I don't think that the Stark kids will be forgiving enough this time, not after all the trauma and all the betrayals they went through, not after the burning of Winterfell, not after the Red Wedding and murder of their brother Robb. 

And they need to send a message that they aren't weak nor that they are going to forgive any new betrayal or rebellion this time. 

Archived