Career Chat V: the Common Ruin of the Contending Classes

Datepalm

Nearly a year in to the gig I have now...and I have concerns that there is no movement to build staff...mind you the banquets side is slow (mostly because I've realized that the Sales Managers aren't very good at that aspect of their jobs, concentrating on room sales and just a handful of big ticket events that seem to utilize outside catering instead of ours...). We lost the Executive Chef almost two months ago. The one hired to replace him (someone I was told I'd help interview and then never saw a resume) lasted a month, having resigned already claiming he was mislead about what an Executive Chef is expected to do...the sous Chef has also resigned.  It's a bit of a mess.

(Side note, the old.chef did try to take me with him and I did an interview, but it turns out they couldn't afford me)

I've also gotten a couple of calls about other positions.  I'm taking interviews this week. But part if me feels a little guilty because if I were to go, it would put a couple people I do like in a bind...but should I...?

On 9/5/2022 at 5:41 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

YES

No one at your job is thinking they would put YOU in a bind were they to shut down / fire you.

Give the appropriate notice period, be graceful, burn no bridges, and happy smiles and rainbows.

I never burn a bridge.  In my business, you can't afford to!

I'll cross this bridge if I get an offer.  Though one is potentially a 15% increase... depending on what needed there...

Edited by Jaxom 1974

I listen to a daily podcast about sports business somewhat religiously. A few months back the guy who helms it, someone who was the president of an MLB team for nearly 20 years, announced they were creating a new position and were looking for someone with a background in political organizing. I submitted my resume not expecting much and today I received an email requesting an interview, presumably with said former president directly. I cannot believe it and will be setting up interview times tomorrow. Wish me luck.

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I listen to a daily podcast about sports business somewhat religiously. A few months back the guy who helms it, someone who was the president of an MLB team for nearly 20 years, announced they were creating a new position and were looking for someone with a background in political organizing. I submitted my resume not expecting much and today I received an email requesting an interview, presumably with said former president directly. I cannot believe it and will be setting up interview times tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Wow!  Good luck Ty!      :commie:

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If you don't ask you don't get. One of my friends (significantly less qualified than you for this role) has applied for the England managers job every time someone has been sacked for the last 25 years. Never even received so much as a rejection letter. 

230pm CST and I've been offered the gig that would bump me almost 15% in pay and it sounds like they have an actual team for me to lead.  Situation can't be actually worse than what I have now in any case.  Does one give proper notice today still, or wait until Monday, when I'll actually see my boss again, and not just the HR Manager...?

Wasn't certain where to post this, but since Princeton is primarily about careers, I'm putting it here.

Princeton now free if you make under $100,000

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/10/us/princeton-university-financial-aid-trnd/index.html

I think this is really great. Tuition now runs about $80K. Not only will it be free to students whose parents make less than $100K, financial aid is available to all who make under $150K.

I couldn't help remembering that High School buddy of mine that got his scholarship to Princeton, being a small HS everyone was really happy for him. I knew it was a potentially life changing step for a family that operated a very marginal convenience/party store.

Now many more middle class families can be afforded such an opportunity.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

7 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

OMG!!! DUDE!!! I do t know how I missed this initially….but yay!! Best of luck and please let us know how it goes. Feel free to text me first if it’s totally awesome news :D

Got the interview date request today for early next week. I'm just debating how much prep I want to do. From personal experience I'm much better off the cuff, but this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity so winging it may not be entirely sound. We'll see how I feel come Sunday. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Got the interview date request today for early next week. I'm just debating how much prep I want to do. From personal experience I'm much better off the cuff, but this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity so winging it may not be entirely sound. We'll see how I feel come Sunday. 

Congrats and best of luck.

Only wing it if you are 100% confident in what the work and org looks like and feel confident in your skills for said position.  I’ve seen some (probably) decent people trip up and be passed over on some things a basic 15 min Google research session would have fixed.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Tywin et al. -- agreed; preparation is a crutch, go with your gut! This is how I achieved most of my (substantial) downrange and financial successes. Actually, I have a gut feeling you'll get your once in a lifetime dream job by wingin' it. Do you pray?

Shoukd find out tomorrow afternoon if I got the job I applied for. Was intervoewed by my boss and her boss (who originally interviewed me for my current role in 2019 before my boss was hired).

Not very confident, some of the questions were weird (how do you motovstr yourser to do taks you least like; how donyou motivate a team not working well together).

There are specific stuff they’re looking for.

There were 4 applicants altogether inc me, last interview tomorrow. Its temp for 8 months initially, if I get it and its either not extended or Indont apply for it if made permanent, I’d revert to current role.

Woukd like to get it (same dept I’m in now and the extra money is half of what I’m on now). But if I dont, I’m happy doing what im doing.

I gave my 2 week notice on Monday, intending to fulfill my obligations as a professional, but I've already had my schedule re-written this week to cover other shifts (as I'm apparently the only manager who's still here who can do this) and now when I need one, just one of those days off this weekend, I'm being told no and that I have to be the manager on duty that particular evening as well.  Yes there is an event. Yes those technically fall under my job.  But I was already shunted off into a later schedule tomorrow to cover the night shift rather than handle the even happening at lunchtime tomorrow.  So it isn't as if they're able to cover those things.  They just don't want to cover the night shift on a Saturday.  

Even though it means sacrificing 4 days of unused vacation being paid out, I'm just about to tell my current employer that I'm finishing tonight's shift and I'm not coming back tomorrow.  I mean, I already have the next job.

It's just felt very toxic around here since Monday...

Am I out of line?

20 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I don’t think you are out of line at all. Personally, I might probably persevere. On the other hand…do they WANT to make you walk out??? They are kind of asking for that.

Yeah. Well they did make me. I sent the email 5 minutes ago.  

I already have confirmation I can start the new gig Monday.

Edited by Jaxom 1974

19 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yeah. Well they did make me. I sent the email 5 minutes ago.  

I already have confirmation I can start the new gig Monday.

I was going to say if you need the reference you should stay, but otherwise tell them to fuck off if they're going to be petty. Leaders should know they need to treat their employee well after they've submitted their two weeks notice for exactly this reason.

Good luck at your new gig! 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was going to say if you need the reference you should stay, but otherwise tell them to fuck off if they're going to be petty. Leaders should know they need to treat their employee well after they've submitted their two weeks notice for exactly this reason.

Good luck at your new gig! 

Thanks.  This is out of my comfort zone, and it feels selfish.  But I have to do what I have to do.  I know it makes things even worse for my currently employer, but...  :dunno:

26 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Thanks.  This is out of my comfort zone, and it feels selfish.  But I have to do what I have to do.  I know it makes things even worse for my currently employer, but...  :dunno:

I'd care more about my coworkers that will have to suffer a bit than the employer. Unless they were great to you you don't owe them shit. And in general, always prioritize yourself in situations like this. It's clear the other individual isn't concerned about you.

On 9/15/2022 at 9:46 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

I always prioritize myself in situations like that by offering my consulting services to my former employer for a truly exorbitant hourly rate until they find my replacement :)

(I realize this is not applicable to all industries, but it’s worked nicely for me in the past.)

Yeah. That's not my industry.  

I've never done anything like this...bit it just...I'm still a little in shock it went down this way. I said I'd finish tonight's shift. No reason not too. But the boss showed up just after 930 and walked me out.  

My conscience is clear, but it is still weird.

New gig starts Monday.

Edited by Jaxom 1974