Career Chat V: the Common Ruin of the Contending Classes

Datepalm

@IheartIheartTesla even our most junior people have their target bonus represent at least 20% of their target comp, with actual bonus depending on both individual and company performance, and actual bonus can vary from 0 to 2x of target bonus in any given year.  At my level, target bonus has to be at least 50% of target comp, and aside from my base+bonus I also have profit participation.  This past year with strong individual performance by me and by the firm overall, my base pay turned out to be less than 30% of my total actual comp, while bonuses and other incentives were more than 70% of total.

My comp has only grown each year at this firm but it could very easily swing downward for a year or two.

On 1/27/2023 at 5:54 PM, Starkess said:

I'm waiting to hear back on a job I interviewed for--I was one of the final candidates and they said they wanted to "move fast" so I think I should know soon. If that doesn't pan out, I've got some real thinking to do about my career path.

Well, after crickets for a month, I attempted to contact [third party] recruiter with no response. Reached out to hiring manager directly (she had encouraged me if I had any questions and "are you still hiring?" is a pretty valid one IMO!) and she did not respond either! However, 2 days after emailing her, the recruiter contacted me and said the hiring manager had asked her to get in touch with me and let me know that yes, they were still hiring and yes, I am still in consideration.

That was a month ago now and nothing since then. Like I don't care (much) that I didn't get the job, but jfc ghosting me after multiple interviews and meeting me in person?? Taking over 2 months to make a decision when you claimed to be "moving fast"? Give me a break. Insulting.

Anyway, fiance and I decided I would take all of February to relax (well, work on personal projects mostly) and not worry about job hunting. That time flew by, and now I'm trying to get 2 applications out a day. I still don't totally know what I want to do, so shooting out a lot of arrows with the idea that, if I get a hit, I can learn more during the interview process. So far had one firm very similar to my past government consulting gig reach out (hard pass, I hated that job) and have a phone screen for a financial quant job that is probably way out of my comfort zone. Found I've been gravitating a lot towards data analysts job descriptions, so may try to specifically focus my search and brush up on a couple weak spots for the field.

While I'm unemployed, continuing to work on my SciComm channels, which I really missed doing, and writing a new novel, which has been a lot of fun. Stupid bills meaning I need a stupid real job :angry:

1 hour ago, Starkess said:

That was a month ago now and nothing since then. Like I don't care (much) that I didn't get the job, but jfc ghosting me after multiple interviews and meeting me in person?? Taking over 2 months to make a decision when you claimed to be "moving fast"? Give me a break. Insulting.

Fuck'em, right? You're probably better off in the long run aways if that's how people in leadership feel they can treat people there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 9:45 PM, Tywin et al. said:

People suck. It's why we can't have nice things.

I have fealt for years my compensation is primarily for having to experience the presence of the other employees management subjects me to.

I share this theory with other workmates and my manager, it greatly amuses all.

13 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I have fealt for years my compensation is primarily for having to experience the presence of the other employees management subjects me to.

I share this theory with other workmates and my manager, it greatly amuses all.

Because they probably felt the same.  Everyone thinks they’re the main character surrounded by nuisance NPCs.

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Well, things aren’t really getting better. The feelers I’ve put out to the job market had just been feelers. There was one role where the recruiter loved me, but the company insisted on someone with insurance experience.

Then there’s the company that originally wanted to move fast, but then they started moving slowly, but it’s the middle of earnings season, and I can’t interview until we finish and file the quarter. I told them - right now, I could mayyyybe interview on 5/5, because it’s a Friday and it’s after our earnings call, although 5/12 would be better, since we file on 5/11 and I can then take vacation.

I haven’t heard back on that, just yet.

Meanwhile, Boy Wonder is re-writing a memo that I wrote and is trying to just take over everything. And he is rude to me.

I do have a bright spot, though. More on that later.

Focus on the positive, it will work out.

And Boy Wonder sounds like the person that demands to pack their own parachute, only to realize oops at the last second. 

Whelp...I got put back on the market today...I don't even know how to describe the reason why. I mean, I understand what they said, but as I know I hadn't done anything...it feels like an excuse for something else. I've already got some applications out, but it's going to sting to start over again and at likely less pay...

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Whelp...I got put back on the market today...I don't even know how to describe the reason why. I mean, I understand what they said, but as I know I hadn't done anything...it feels like an excuse for something else. I've already got some applications out, but it's going to sting to start over again and at likely less pay...

:grouphug:

9 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

It’s rarely the reason they give. It is typically personal bs.

They always say when you leave HS you leave the petty BS behind. Reality is it often gets worse. 

Today’s Episode:  TFW you have been advancing a proposition FOR WEEKS to solve a tricky tax issue, and then an older man sends you an email titled “New Idea” that is in fact said idea.  I’m counting to 100 in French before I reply.  

@Jaxom 1974 I am so sorry.  That really really sucks.  Hugs.

An update for those following along at home: I have not received any job offers, and I just got notified that my former job wants me to repay my relo bonus. Which I know they have the right to do, but seeing as I left over 2 months ago, I was kinda hoping they weren't going to...anyway, now I am having a huge meltdown because not only am I unemployed and paying for a wedding this fall but now I need to find almost 30k to payback a relo bonus for a job that crushed my mental health and made me question everything about my future career path. Have redoubled application efforts and am contemplating selling a kidney. fml

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Please reread the contract and let us know your thoughts.

Unfortunately, yeah, I resigned, am not eligible for unemployment, and the contract was quite simple and stated that I would repay in full within 90 days if I left within a year of the last service being rendered. I am going to try to talk to them about it and work out some sort of payment plan and ask for proration, but with the full understanding that I signed that dotted line. Didn't even think twice about it, I was so excited for the job...ha.

I knew all this when I decided to quit, of course, but the amount was more than I expected and having been over 2 months and still not having a new job, I do not exactly feel composed now in the face of it.

17 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Today’s Episode:  TFW you have been advancing a proposition FOR WEEKS to solve a tricky tax issue, and then an older man sends you an email titled “New Idea” that is in fact said idea.  I’m counting to 100 in French before I reply.  

@Jaxom 1974 I am so sorry.  That really really sucks.  Hugs.

This so totally resonates with me. I have a little trick I use on management when I need or want something my way and its getting shot down. I drop the seed, repeat conversations and keep crafting those exchanges UNTIL THEY THINK ITS THIER IDEA and Voila, Voila, it suddenly happens.

Training managers is slightly annoying, but I  got a job(s) to get done.:lol:

I have tested this method and the results are like 90% of the time positive in a Dale Carnegie kind of way.

I agree Chataya, its a different dynamic at work, but they both stem from rude or insecure people trying to get credit for others ideas. I try to turn that table and extract something I want out of it.

Its comical (while still pathetic) watching it play out in slow motion. Once I see thier nature, I will use it against them if need be.

Folks, since I work in an area where capturing IP is quite important, and when filing it determining who needs be included in it is paramount, me and all my colleagues are pretty obsessive about documenting our ideas (including the genesis of it). It helps to have a built-in system that helps with this, but even e-mailing a colleague about your idea could be a good practice to follow (not that anyone here doesn't know this already...). In the worst case it would even help if you were to file against the employer for discrimination. tl; dr create paper trails.

@Starkess are post-docs not an option? Hiring for them tends to be more flexible/informal and doesnt involve a rigorous selection process. Pay is meh (~50-60k), and of course it is more placing careers in holding patterns while you look for something more permanent. Still, you can do some cool science and get the monkey off your back for a bit.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It oddly feels like I'm meant to move into another field, but it's not exactly easy to do after nearly 25 years...

There's always the minor leagues. Just crowd the plate and get on base that way. 

40 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Update on Company B:

They are pissing me off, big time, as they seem to think that their commitments are more important than my commitments for the same. This commitment on both sides is the earnings call  

They want me to interview on 4/25, because their earnings call is on 4/27. WELL, SO IS MINE. (Dates are slightly adjusted so that no one can go out there and find which companies are doing earnings calls on that day and try and figure out names)

Apparently, 4/28 is the date on which they want to give an offer to one of us three candidates. 

So, on Tuesday, we settled on 4/25, and they still won’t give me a time frame. And I have some serious other things that might come up.

I kind of want to tell them to go f—— themselves.

Also, we now have Company C, with which I have a zoom interview tomorrow.

You're already  disgruntled and you haven't even gotten an offer yet.  Maybe just play hardball right back to set the correct parameters in case you end up taking this job.  'I'm excited for this opportunity, but as you all know, this is a one of the key weeks of the year, blah blah' and tell them you can't do the interviews until XX date.  Let them take it or leave it.  If they leave it, good riddance.  If they take it, you've established that they can't screw you around going into the job.