Career Chat V: the Common Ruin of the Contending Classes

Datepalm

Today is my last day being 34. And I'm at peace with the decision I've made. I'm not going to quit my job, but I'm also probably never going into the office again except to pick up some of my shit and drop my badge off. Fuck it. Not having a plan is a bad idea, but being somewhere that you hate is even worse.

Edited by Tywin et al.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Today is my last day being 34. And I'm at peace with the decision I've made. I'm not going to quit my job, but I'm also probably never going into the office again except to pick up some of my shit and drop my badge off. Fuck it. Not having a plan is a bad idea, but being somewhere that you hate is even worse.

Fellow Taurus, that must be why we bicker.  

Realised I’ve been with my current employer since Jan 2004 (19 years!). Since Sept 2001 (almost 22 years!).

Three jobs though, and current one has had me working from home for the past three years. I’m only in the office one or two days a month, and hopefully this will continue.

6 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Realised I’ve been with my current employer since Jan 2004 (19 years!). Since Sept 2001 (almost 22 years!).

I joined in March 2001, in that time I've had 5 Jobs, been in my current job for 5 years and that's about when I normally get itchy feet, but the current role works for me with work life balance.  8 years and 3 days until my retirement. 

Also, how long is too long to wait to hear back from a company while waiting to see if you've made it to the next interview, or if you've been passed over? Is it terrible to reach out after too long...?

16 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

How long are we talking?

The initial interview was 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I was, apparently,  the first one through the process. Was told they needed last week to line up any other candidates and review to see who would go on to the next possible interview.  At this point, I'd hoped to have word yay or nay, and if I'm not moving on, I get it. But I wonder if I should have, or still should, do some sort of follow up. Don't want to seem pushy or needy.

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Also, how long is too long to wait to hear back from a company while waiting to see if you've made it to the next interview, or if you've been passed over? Is it terrible to reach out after too long...?

Wait until your family tells you to get your ass out on the corner to turn tricks because you need groceries and the rent is late. That's when it's been too long. :P

Good luck dude.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wait until your family tells you to get your ass out on the corner to turn tricks because you need groceries and the rent is late. That's when it's been too long. :P

Good luck dude.

Hmmmm...so three weeks ago...?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 1:07 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Along the lines of what I figured...but thought to double check the timeline. Thanks!

So...never heard from that first interview and think I've probably been ghosted, particularly as it's still popping up on job alerts as a job I should be applying to...oh well...

My other interview the other day was solid and I did get the call to do the next round of interviews...as I feel this is the job I might be best suited for, I'm going to go in as strong as I can...a position that combines a lot of what I have excelled and liked the most over my career, but isn't actually directly involved in food? Oh yeah. That's for me...

The ghosting is ridiculous these days. Honestly just a trash job market.

I had a phone screen last week for a position that I'm feeling mediocre about. The job itself sound great, actually, but a) the salary range in the JD is laughably low and rumor is they're not flexible and b) I have a friend who used to work there and I know she got really burnt out and had some mixed-to-negative perspectives on the team. So I'm feeling torn about even wanting to work there, but given this is my first nibble in 120ish applications, I feel like I shouldn't be so picky...well we'll see. They have other people to screen so I won't know for a week or so yet if they want to actually interview me.

I remember one interview I had where I was to fly out to their location, but two days before the date, got an email from them that they were having a hiring freeze effective immediately, and so were canceling the interview and the position. But I had my suit all pressed and ready to go....I guess that's the opposite of ghosting, some sort of straight up shanking. To be a little fair to them, this was in fall of 2008.

Anyway, the only words of encouragement I can provide is that at some point in your search you have the same situation I did, which is to find a few interviews in rapid succession that are a good match and at least some options to choose from.

On 5/22/2023 at 9:32 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

I remember one interview I had where I was to fly out to their location, but two days before the date, got an email from them that they were having a hiring freeze effective immediately, and so were canceling the interview and the position. But I had my suit all pressed and ready to go...

Oof, that's brutal