Career Chat V: the Common Ruin of the Contending Classes

Datepalm

On 4/30/2023 at 9:19 PM, Starkess said:

I recently surpassed the milestone of 100 job applications this go round. So far, 1 phone screen, after which I was rejected, and the previously detailed job where I went through two interviews (incl in person) and reference only to get ghosted...

:bang::bang::bang::bang: :bang:

A fairly accurate representation of job hunting.

Have you ever considered accounting?

7 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I hear watching paint dry is fun too. 

8 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Accounting is actually fascinating and full of drama.

My first internship was in the accounting department of a Fortune 500. And I hate to break it to you, it was super boring and I was doing a lot more than you suggested in the other thread. I basically managed the entire department's schedule because most of the accountants couldn't find their car in an empty parking lot in you walked them right up to it. ;)

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

My first internship was in the accounting department of a Fortune 500. And I hate to break it to you, it was super boring and I was doing a lot more than you suggested in the other thread. I basically managed the entire department's schedule because most of the accountants couldn't find their car in an empty parking lot in you walked them right up to it. ;)

That’s not really accounting. You were doing boring grunt work, not the good stuff. You weren’t even getting any good drama like I had at my last Fortune 500 company, which was guessing who would quit next and how the reshuffling for their job would unfold. We had sticky notes with people’s names in them that we would rearrange on a weekly basis, depending on our consensus of who was going where.

We can’t find our cars in an empty parking lot because we are all generally nearsighted.

4 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

That’s not really accounting. You were doing boring grunt work, not the good stuff. You weren’t even getting any good drama like I had at my last Fortune 500 company, which was guessing who would quit next and how the reshuffling for their job would unfold. We had sticky notes with people’s names in them that we would rearrange on a weekly basis, depending on our consensus of who was going where.

We can’t find our cars in an empty parking lot because we are all generally nearsighted.

No, my friend. It's because most people when sharpening one skill tend to suck at everything else.

But more to the point, I wasn't just relegated to grunt work. I had completed the first two levels of college accounting before I was a senior in HS. And during said internship I was doing a lot of their work for them. It just became clear early on that none of those fuckers knew how to keep a schedule or do basic things like run a meeting. We were doing more advanced shit in HS student government than they could handle TBH. And the guy mentoring me told me most accountants were boring as hell and kind of useless. 

Guess you're the 1% that's fun and interesting. :love:

1 hour ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I actually really like accounting! I considered switching to accounting a while back and even completed a certificate course at UCSD-E. But then I ended up deciding to go to grad school for astrophysics and now I don't even know what that sort of pivot would look like.

Fun fact I also started on the actuarial exams when I was getting out of the Navy and passed the first two, but I was determined to stay in San Diego and there weren't really entry level opportunities there.

9 hours ago, Starkess said:

I actually really like accounting! I considered switching to accounting a while back and even completed a certificate course at UCSD-E. But then I ended up deciding to go to grad school for astrophysics and now I don't even know what that sort of pivot would look like.

Fun fact I also started on the actuarial exams when I was getting out of the Navy and passed the first two, but I was determined to stay in San Diego and there weren't really entry level opportunities there.

I have an undergrad degree in sociology and anthropology…

You could still take the actuarial exams.  

Posted (edited)

Remember the numbers guy that figured out earliest that the investment house was going to collapse in that Demi Moore, J. Irons, Kevin Spacey, S. Tucci, Wall Street movie?

The character was actually a rocket scientist.

Still remember the scene where Jeremy Irons, fresh from flying in from London, at an emergency meeting with the top execs cuts off his round table discussion and says-

"I want to talk to the rocket scientist."

Long story short, talent has versatility and can excell in some of the most unlikely positions.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

13 hours ago, Starkess said:

What does your pivot look like? Ie, what gigs are you looking for, outside of science journalism? Your data science, programming, etc skillset is probably fairly impressive.

Hang in there!

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Remember the numbers guy that figured out earliest that the investment house was going to collapse in that Demi Moore, J. Irons, Kevin Spacey, S. Tucci, Wall Street movie?

The character was actually a rocket scientist.

Still remember the scene where Jeremy Irons, fresh from flying in from London, at an emergency meeting with the top execs cuts off his round table discussion and says-

"I want to talk to the rocket scientist."

Long story short, talent has versatility and can excell in some of the most unlikely positions.

That was Margin Call. BEST MOVIE EVAH

10 hours ago, Datepalm said:

What does your pivot look like? Ie, what gigs are you looking for, outside of science journalism? Your data science, programming, etc skillset is probably fairly impressive.

Hang in there!

I'm looking to do data analysis (while also keeping an eye out for the much rarer opportunities in science writing/editing/etc). I think I have a ton of relevant experience, but so far I haven't managed to convince a recruiter or their AI screenings of that. It's also a rough time for the field as a whole with all the recent layoffs and everything.

I am grimly hanging on right now - just got asked to “create a project plan” to use a new software tool to do some things in my area…by Boy Wonder, who cc’d our boss.

It’s pretty damn difficult to create a project plan for an implementation when one hasn’t even used the software tool, yet.

I basically grit my teeth, smiled cheerily, and e-mailed back “sounds great!” :stillsick:

My (three) second interviews are all coming up, first one tomorrow, last one on May 12. I should have an offer in hand, if not several to choose from, pretty soon, and then I’ll be able to give notice and be a happily quacking lame duck. 

Best of all worlds would be that they just put me on gardening leave after I give notice, but that’s unlikely.

8 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I am grimly hanging on right now - just got asked to “create a project plan” to use a new software tool to do some things in my area…by Boy Wonder, who cc’d our boss.

Good luck with the interviews. If one lands, please let your boss know this dude is a snake on your way out. 

And kind of an incompetent one at that.

Still in a holding pattern after last week's interview to see if I made it to the next round...sonstill pounding the proverbial pavement...

Also, sadly, I have to turn down a fantastic chance for a opportunity that would be a huge career maker...if I were to get it...because I just can't be moving the family cross country again at this point...but the fact that my small little LinkedIn profile garnered enough attention that they sought me out...

15 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Still in a holding pattern after last week's interview to see if I made it to the next round...sonstill pounding the proverbial pavement...

Also, sadly, I have to turn down a fantastic chance for a opportunity that would be a huge career maker...if I were to get it...because I just can't be moving the family cross country again at this point...but the fact that my small little LinkedIn profile garnered enough attention that they sought me out...

Dude, these are positive signs!!! Yasssss!!!!

Sending good karma your way - hoping you make it to Round 2 and an offer!!

22 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And now a screening call for a role with similarities to my career path, but not dealing with F&B? Would be nice to have options...

Becoming an assassin late in life is still an option. Or maybe buy a food truck. I guess that would work too.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Becoming an assassin late in life is still an option. Or maybe buy a food truck. I guess that would work too.

Zero reason those options can't be combined...seems like perfect fodder for some sort of Netflix series also...