Career Chat V: the Common Ruin of the Contending Classes

Datepalm

12 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Zero reason those options can't be combined...seems like perfect fodder for some sort of Netflix series also...

Considering the writers strike you may have found your true calling.

Posted (edited)

Fuck, fuck, fuck -

Mr. Boy Scout Managing….Fifth(?) Sixth(?) Year external counsel did not get my e-mail regarding comments, yesterday, and is therefore “blocking off time on our calendars” AND BRO, I AM GOING TO BE IN THE MIDDLE OF AN INTERVIEW….

This is why he is not even Of Counsel.

OMFG, Senior Partner is stepping in for me!!!! I sent him a low key text and begged, and he and I are close. He’s aware of the Situation.

Edited by Madame deVenoge

4 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I do consider myself an ideas guy...

But how's the execution? 

Excellent interview. 

The first interview situation ever in which I’ve used profanity - I’m going to be intentionally vague on the why of it, here - but the situation came up to where I was asked my opinion on what their service provider was thinking when they insisted upon something that was noted by The Street:

Me: “they fucked you” (covered hand with mouth, oops)

interviewer: “They fucked us hard!!!!”

And then we talked about things that one can neither confirm nor deny on changing said service providers.

44 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I have drafted my resignation letter :D

I anticipate providing said resignation on the 15th :D

Nice! So much for having to wait a few more weeks. Did C come through?

2 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I’m just doing this for my mental health, so at each micro aggression that I experience, I can read my resignation letter and smile :)

Your an accountant, right? You know where the bodies are buried. We all know, hell hath no fury like an accountant scorned.

Apparently I've been passed on to the hiring manager after last week's screening call...supposed to be contacted for a face to face this week...so hoping it comes through for at least the chance...

Also dealing with the State over unemployment insurance right now...going into week three and still not gotten a dine because of some sort of question the State has for me...the adjudicator left a message on Friday saying I needed to contact them by 10am today otherwise they'd rule based on info they had. So I called and left a message right away, the voice mail message said they'd contact me with 24 business hours...well, we're going well past that point today...and nothing...though I've followed up twice thus far...

Well, one of the opportunities is a no-go. Looks like they are making an offer to an internal candidate. Thereby paying less and also avoiding the recruiter’s fee.

On the other hand, on my second interview with another company today, the HR person was in touch right after to ask me what my notice requirements are.

Was encouraged to apply for a voluntary arts council role that I’ve gone for. Will give me some strategy and leadership experience I’ve been wanting to gain and hopefully help me shape what arts and culture looks like in my region - fingers crossed!! 

Posted (edited)

Today is my last day being 34. And I'm at peace with the decision I've made. I'm not going to quit my job, but I'm also probably never going into the office again except to pick up some of my shit and drop my badge off. Fuck it. Not having a plan is a bad idea, but being somewhere that you hate is even worse.

Edited by Tywin et al.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Today is my last day being 34. And I'm at peace with the decision I've made. I'm not going to quit my job, but I'm also probably never going into the office again except to pick up some of my shit and drop my badge off. Fuck it. Not having a plan is a bad idea, but being somewhere that you hate is even worse.

Fellow Taurus, that must be why we bicker.  

Realised I’ve been with my current employer since Jan 2004 (19 years!). Since Sept 2001 (almost 22 years!).

Three jobs though, and current one has had me working from home for the past three years. I’m only in the office one or two days a month, and hopefully this will continue.

6 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Realised I’ve been with my current employer since Jan 2004 (19 years!). Since Sept 2001 (almost 22 years!).

I joined in March 2001, in that time I've had 5 Jobs, been in my current job for 5 years and that's about when I normally get itchy feet, but the current role works for me with work life balance.  8 years and 3 days until my retirement. 

Also, how long is too long to wait to hear back from a company while waiting to see if you've made it to the next interview, or if you've been passed over? Is it terrible to reach out after too long...?