Who will free Edmure Tully and the other hostages taken during the Red Wedding ?

Currently Edmure Tully and many other riverlords or northmen lords or heirs such as Jon "Greatjon" Umber who were captured by the Freys during the Red Wedding, are being transported to Casterly Rock after Jaime Lannister ordered the Freys to transfer all of their hostages here following the siege of Riverrun and escape of the Blackfish. 

These hostages are the one thing preventing the northmen and most rivermen to take up arms against the treacherous Freys, as well as the Lannisters, and get their revenge on them in a particulary bloody fashion.

But these prisonners, and especially Edmure as the future lord paramount and ruler of the Riverlands, cannot stay imprisonned and used as hostages forever and it will certainely come a time where they are freed from their captors, either dead or alive.

How long do you think that Edmure and the others, as well as the hostages taken by Jaime during AFFC and his ADWD chapter, will stay in the Lannister men's hands ? Will they reach Casterly Rock and spend the rest of their captivity here or not ? 

Who do you think will free them and allow the Riverlanders to rebel again and get their vengeance on the Freys ? Who are the possible candidates ? Through which means could they free Edmure and the others ?

Edmure Tully is being sent to Casterly Rock along with the Westerlings.  Hoster Blackwood and Jaime's squires are with his host.  Greatjon and the others taken at the Red Wedding are at the Twins. 

Jaime ordered the prisoners at the Twins sent to Kings Landing.  He also told Lord Piper they would be ransomed.  It is possible the Brotherhood intends to use Jaime to rescue the prisoners currently at the Twins.  "I'm Jaime Lannister and I'm here for the prisoners.  Turn them over."  It might even work.  It's the only reason I can think of they haven't killed him yet.

As for Edmure and Jeyne, I expect they will get safely to Casterly Rock.  The Brotherhood doesn't have enough time or resources to mount a successful rescue.  I expect the Prologue will be their arrival at Casterly Rock.  I don't see Edmure becoming free anytime soon. 

The whole OP seems to operate on the assumption that they will be freed at some point. I just don't see it happening. As @Nevets pointed out, Edmure and Jeyne are going to Casterly Rock. As for the remaining captives of the Freys, I can see Walder being spiteful enough to ensure they die if there's a chance of them being rescued. It was a common tactic in medieval times to murder your prisoners if it looked like you were about to lose so the enemy can't recover them. 

It's likely that Nymeria and her wolf pack will ultimately be responsible for the mayhem that will allow the BwB and friends to free up hostages in both areas.   But we know LSH is more interested in violent revenge than rescue.   I'm just not certain all the moving parts that is the BwB can get united with other factions much less a pack of wild wolves.  Personally, I can't think of a better end for nasty conniving Lady Sybell.  If there are any fighting men left in the Riverlands I would expect a rally behind the Blackfish who has already stated that it is his job to protect his Queen Jeyne.  Perhaps that's what Hoster's weird funeral was all about, making sure we understand what an excellent shot he is with flaming arrows?  

On 12/25/2021 at 5:08 PM, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Who do you think will free them and allow the Riverlanders to rebel again and get their vengeance on the Freys ? Who are the possible candidates ? Through which means could they free Edmure and the others ?

I disagree with the premise of your statement.  The Riverland wants peace.  They are not about to rebel just to get justice for Robb Stark.  Most people know the Starks for traitors and rebels.  Ned Stark is a traitor who tried to take the throne for himself.  Robb rebelled against the king and attacked the south.  He also betrayed two allies, Karstark and Frey.  And why rebel against the Freys?  Lord Baelish is their lord.  Walder just happens to be his richest and most powerful bannerman. 

Edmure is a dead man after Roslyn has their child.  His days among the living are few. The others are prisoners of war. They will be released as soon as the north proves they can be trusted. We know that won’t happen. There isn’t a mission impossible in the works to break them out. They either die as pows or they break themselves out. 

I wouldn't mind reading about a roadside rescue story. Jaime left Edmure alone with Tom Sevenstrings for a while. Who knows what communication took place between them?

The Blackfish is out there somewhere.

And of course, Nymeria's pack is there as well...

Archived