The Wheel of Time TV: Ta'veren Tango (Book Spoilers)

IlyaP

Also I heard somewhere that him and the Uno actor were seen on site somewhere for the second season so likely not dead. I do wish they would not go for so many cliffhangers though. I know people like gotcha moments but that shouldn’t be overused otherwise it loses its impact.

Yeah agreed. Actual deaths peppered through can keep it from losing all its impact (looking at One Piece for mostly lacking this), but I'd rather just not have the power of fake outs diluted through overuse.

https://www.wotseries.com/2021/12/26/season-two-cast-melissa-james-jessica-boone-more/

Looks like Lanfear and a Seanchan has been cast (and the latter is an actress from Texas, which could mean they're giving the Seanchan the drawl or its just a coincidence).

Also, apparently Nynaeve's mom, would assume for a flashback.

11 hours ago, Wouter said:

It's quite possible that Moiraine will not come back after the portal, but is also possible she returns much sooner than in the books. Rosamund Pike is a co-producer on the show, which might change the equation as she is more closely involved.

I keep seeing this here and elsewhere. Does Moiraine die in the books?

I'm asking because it seems strange she'd be killed off when Rafe has bascially said Moirane and Lan are the main protagonists of his show (as opposed to in the books). This is also the reason for her stilling; creating a S02 storyline that is not in the books. I.e. the examination of what the stilling does to M&L's relationship and so forth.

No but kinda yes. She basically does get “killed” and then comes back like five books later and really does almost nothing as her advisor role has been taken by another. So she’s fairly pointless post return. I think they will either kill her or not, but not bring her back to serve no role. 

I mean, Moiraine's influence does keep Rand negotiating an extremely important treaty, sort of saving the day to some degree, and she has a big role in the final defeat of the Dark One...

But to be fair, this is all just more clumsy, over-broad Sanderson stuff frantically trying to wrap up the series, and it's not clear what Jordan's intentions were going to be had he lived to complete the series.

I 100% believe they're definitely going to kill off Moiraine for good at some point -- or, perhaps, take a page from Jordan, re: people not always looking how they used to...

Yeah her role in the defeat of the Dark One is more than a little important. Unless you're going to rewrite Rand's entire relationship with Aes Sedai, Moiraine and Nynaeve are the only two women on the planet he would trust for that. I guess its possible you could have his relationship with Egwene not sour, but that seems unlikely when they could simply keep the character played by their star actress who is a producer on the show alive to do what she does in the books.

7 hours ago, Arakasi said:

No but kinda yes. She basically does get “killed” and then comes back like five books later and really does almost nothing as her advisor role has been taken by another. So she’s fairly pointless post return. I think they will either kill her or not, but not bring her back to serve no role. 

They could also bring her back quickly, and maybe take part of Cadsuane's role.

Rosamund's film career is very hot at the moment, so I think it's unlikely she will sacrifice big film roles in order to keep shooting a series that requires her to be on set in Prague for 6-9 months of the year. My guess is that they drop Moiraine in importance later on, so she only shows up occasionally, or they kill her off in the Season 3 finale (probably no later than that), either permanently or to bring her back in the final season for the last couple of episodes. Pike keeps her hand in by retaining her producer's credit.

8 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

https://www.wotseries.com/2021/12/26/season-two-cast-melissa-james-jessica-boone-more/

Looks like Lanfear and a Seanchan has been cast (and the latter is an actress from Texas, which could mean they're giving the Seanchan the drawl or its just a coincidence).

Also, apparently Nynaeve's mom, would assume for a flashback.

Wow, the actress playing Lanfear.....Rand, you lucky bastard.

4 hours ago, Darryk said:

Wow, the actress playing Lanfear.....Rand, you lucky bastard.

As far as looks go - and book readers will agree this is important for Selene - this is a good choice.

Apparently, a stunt double for the Selene actress will have a scene with fake blood on her. This may be part of whatever Selene's routine will be to get Rand to notice her.

50 minutes ago, Ran said:

Apparently an early version of the first episode the script has been posted, maybe by the same leaker who had shared snippets earlier. It's the one that starts with Gitara Morso's prophecy.

Why the hell is Gitara telling Moraine to "kill it" in that script?

I remember that flashback from the books (can't remember if it was one of the main books or from New Spring) but I don't recall her telling Moraine to kill it? Why would she do that? Yeah, they're afraid of the Dragon Reborn but they know they need him.

Also that scene is just so badly written. So much extraneous dialogue.

3 hours ago, Darryk said:

Also that scene is just so badly written. So much extraneous dialogue.

That aside, yeah, most of the interest in an early draft is more things like seeing direction remarks that provide some clues as to the writer's intentions and views. Such as the sex scene being used as a moment to define that all such scenes should always foreground the women and their centrality over their male partners. 

After reading all of A Song of Ice and Fire, the Wheel of Time series was recommended to me.  I read all of the books up to Crossroads of Twilight, and then couldn't stand the series anymore (I actually threw the book across the room).  The show has almost made me want to finish reading the series, but I decided on Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb instead (which I just started reading).  

Is it actually worth finishing reading the series?  And if so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to read Crossroads of Twilight without going insane?

This is probably not the right place to ask about the books as we can easily derail the thread (we have no self control). Start this up in the literary thread and I will respond.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:49 AM, Darryk said:

I wish there was a page for Wheel of Time as funny as Freefolk on Reddit was for Game of Thrones. The memes on that thread made the disaster of GoT season 8 worth it.

Comments like these make me realize I might just be too old for the internet. "Shaka, when the walls fell" is much more my speed when it comes to memes. 

Not saying that there aren't funny memes out there, it's just that I find it the rare exception rather than the expected.

5 hours ago, Rubicante said:

I decided on Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb instead (which I just started reading).

Just checking, have you read the previous six books in that series?

8 hours ago, Rubicante said:

After reading all of A Song of Ice and Fire, the Wheel of Time series was recommended to me.  I read all of the books up to Crossroads of Twilight, and then couldn't stand the series anymore (I actually threw the book across the room).  The show has almost made me want to finish reading the series, but I decided on Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb instead (which I just started reading).  

Is it actually worth finishing reading the series?  And if so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to read Crossroads of Twilight without going insane?

Well speaking only for myself, I struggled through book 7 to 11, but thought book 12 was pretty good, and the ending to book 12 in particular made the whole series worthwhile for me.

Book 13 and 14 I had mixed feelings about, I wasn't particularly happy with where the story went, but they are more action-packed.

11 hours ago, Rubicante said:

10 is, by far, the worst book in the series. 11 is a surprisingly robust attempt by Jordan to get the series back-on-track and it's definitely one of the more laudable attempts I've seen by an author to respond to constructive criticism and fix problems identified by readers, and he does so very well (GRRM I believe did start doing something similar with ADWD as well, if less successfully). If 10 had been Jordan's last book, I think the attitude to the series being left incomplete would have been very different. However, 11 showed that Jordan had wrestled the monster back under control with surprising discipline and people were much more confident about the ending.

12-14 are obviously hamstrung somewhat by Sanderson taking over, not necessarily getting every character right and also being extremely rushed by the publisher. Taken within those limitations, I think they do an admirable job of finishing the series off and delivering a worthwhile ending.

Archived