The Wheel of Time TV: Ta'veren Tango (Book Spoilers)

IlyaP

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

I still think they've been told to reach Dumai  Wells in 3 or 4 - and have been told they'll get that. Going further is what will depend on viewing figures etc

Yeah, I think optimally you reach Dumai's Well at the 50% point of the series, since it happens at the end of Book 6 and, given the glacial pacing in the second half of the season, you can easily achieve that. So in an 8-season show, you want to be hitting Dumai's Wells around the end of Season 4.

Rafe did an interview on a podcast today.  Summary on twitter.

As I speculated, we are definitely getting the Aiel Waste in season 2. 

Hadn't realised Moiraine's oath in E6 was meant to echo a marriage vow.

Also this is a typo:

22) Avi has definately been cast, and Rafe kind of confirms the desert leak means we will see the Waste in S2, and that we ARE GETTING MORE AIEL IN S3 THAN PEOPLE ARE EXPECTING!!!

He meant S2 not S3.  A whole LOT of Aiel.

Longer notes here: https://www.reddit.com/r/WoTshow/comments/som93z/spoiler_podcast_with_rafe/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

hmm

Rafe explained he was given a 250 page doc by Amazon from book readers about what they felt could be improved, and one of the main issues was Mats underdevelopment, so they gave him a backstory to deepen his struggle with being a hero

Was this before or after season 1? That would be something if they're actually trying to listen to book fans. (beyond just Brandon Sanderson)

Ending in Tear then. Good. With the Seanchen occupying instead of Falme, probably. I guess having them invade Tear isn't much worse than having the EM5 visit Tar Valon? Maybe Seanchen are laying siege and are occupying the city with only the Stone left. Assuming that prophecy will be included/matter.

22 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Ending in Tear then. Good. With the Seanchen occupying instead of Falme, probably. I guess having them invade Tear isn't much worse than having the EM5 visit Tar Valon? Maybe Seanchen are laying siege and are occupying the city with only the Stone left. Assuming that prophecy will be included/matter.

Huh?  No mention of Falme or Tear in any of that.  There are a lot of ways to include parts of book 2 and 3 without any of the actual events of those books.  Only thing we know is the Seanchan are invading.

Rafe implied Mat is getting his book 3 stuff, Perrin is getting his book 2 stuff, but we don't know anything for Rand though it seems he either could be headed into the Waste or they're doing scenes from an Aiel's POV in the Waste.

58 minutes ago, Darryk said:

So no fight in the clouds between Rand and Ishamael then? Goddamn you Rafe.

Seriously, where are you guys getting this?  I don't believe they will do that, but it wasn't mentioned in the interview as far as I can tell from the notes.

25 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Huh?  No mention of Falme or Tear in any of that.  There are a lot of ways to include parts of book 2 and 3 without any of the actual events of those books.  Only thing we know is the Seanchan are invading.

Rafe implied Mat is getting his book 3 stuff, Perrin is getting his book 2 stuff, but we don't know anything for Rand though it seems he either could be headed into the Waste or they're doing scenes from an Aiel's POV in the Waste.

* Season is combining book 2 and 3, some characters are on their book 2 journey, some on book 3 (and you can tell which are which from the finale). Mat is on his book 3 journey.

Matt will hopefully already be cured of the dagger and be chowing down in TV at the beginning of season 2 (effectively skipping book 2). Gives me hope we'll see him square off against the princes. Does raise question about the Horn. Unless...

Perrin spends book 2 chasing Horn and then book 3 chasing Rand. Makes sense to combine so he chases the Horn to Tear but arrives when Rand does. By merging Falme events with Tear (again, make Seanchen occupying the city with fortress holding out), Perrin can chase Horn to Tear. Possibly meeting up with Rand briefly in Cairhien. Or not.

* For Rand you'll see a "ton of characters and beats" from book 2 and 3, but his headspace is a little different reflecting his age in the show

From this, we can assume Rand will end in Tear to pull Callendor. Probably he'll wander out of the Blight and into the Waste. Encounter Selene (book 2). And end up in Tear by the end to pull sword (book 3). Maybe he passes through Cairhien on the way (maybe not). He needs to start learning to lead somehow, but he's already gone off alone (like he did beginning of book3, so maybe they'll focus his arc on accepting and embracing his destiny. Learn to lead later (or just Gary Stu know how starting season 3). 

Meanwhile, Nyn and Egw both go to TV, meet Elayne, start training, set to hunt BA, and are sent to Tear (maybe with Liandrin to heighten betrayal?), but are sold into slavery by Liandrin. The Seanchen capture Egw and take her to Tear. Nyn and Elayne follow. Maybe Min joins them. 

MEANwhile, Matt is taking Elayne's letter to Andor, where he reunites with Thom, and the two discover plot against daughter heir, and race to Tear. They meet up with Perrin's group, recapture Horn, and Matt gets to blow it.

Ok, I'm spending too much time spitballing. Just a way to merge books two and three without following book linear path. Hopefully they've done a better job doing so.

Maybe your tastes are just shit? I find most of the actresses quite pretty. Not into guys but I've heard plenty of appreciation for most of them as well, varying by tastes of course.

Wonder if it could be something specific to your tastes putting you off?

I didn't make a conscious decision to stop watching the show.  My last episode was Nynaeve's healing nuke the day it came out and I just haven't made time to watch more yet.  :dunno:  

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Maybe your tastes are just shit? I find most of the actresses quite pretty. Not into guys but I've heard plenty of appreciation for most of them as well, varying by tastes of course.

Wonder if it could be something specific to your tastes putting you off?

Yeah, I'm slightly worried about people calling Madeleine Madden, Daniel Hennery, Josha Stradowski, Zoe Robins, Rosamund Pike, Marcus Rutherford or Barney Harris unattractive. One of the key, overwhelming complaints from people has been "They're all too pretty, they all look like <insert generic show/network here>," ignoring the almost ludicrous one-upsmanship game RJ played through the books (starting by saying all these people were very attractive and then going up from there, until Galad/Lanfear/Berelain etc were like Greek God-tiers of attractiveness).

18 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, I'm slightly worried about people calling Madeleine Madden, Daniel Hennery, Josha Stradowski, Zoe Robins, Rosamund Pike, Marcus Rutherford or Barney Harris unattractive. One of the key, overwhelming complaints from people has been "They're all too pretty, they all look like <insert generic show/network here>," ignoring the almost ludicrous one-upsmanship game RJ played through the books (starting by saying all these people were very attractive and then going up from there, until Galad/Lanfear/Berelain etc were like Greek God-tiers of attractiveness).

The only thing I can say that makes it slightly understandable to me is that they seemed to be trying to make Barney Harris less attractive with Mat's poor grooming/hygiene because his professional headshot looks a lot closer to a model than he does in the role.

10 minutes ago, karaddin said:

The only thing I can say that makes it slightly understandable to me is that they seemed to be trying to make Barney Harris less attractive with Mat's poor grooming/hygiene because his professional headshot looks a lot closer to a model than he does in the role.

Yeah, I think you can make an argument they dirtied down Harris and maybe Rutherford to some extent, but they didn't really try with the others much at all (another source of much complaining).

Archived