The Wheel of Time TV: Ta'veren Tango (Book Spoilers)

IlyaP

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, I'm slightly worried about people calling Madeleine Madden, Daniel Hennery, Josha Stradowski, Zoe Robins, Rosamund Pike, Marcus Rutherford or Barney Harris unattractive. One of the key, overwhelming complaints from people has been "They're all too pretty, they all look like <insert generic show/network here>," ignoring the almost ludicrous one-upsmanship game RJ played through the books (starting by saying all these people were very attractive and then going up from there, until Galad/Lanfear/Berelain etc were like Greek God-tiers of attractiveness).

Rosamund Pike & Josha Stradowski are good looking, Zoe Robins is pretty, everyone else is according to me, mediocre looking to outright unattractive, and also bland on screen. Compare this cast to GOT and there is no comparing the level of attractiveness or screen presence. And of those 3, only Pike stands out, the other two are bland.

I'm kinda... on the one hand baffled that people think any of these actors are unattractive and on the other hand entirely uninterested in judging a piece of media on the hotness of the people cast in it, it seems like such a meaningless, shallow, and generally shitty metric to use. To be honest I tend to see an inverse relationship in media, where shows that obviously prioritised (mostly normative) hotness in their casting are usually bad.

Edit: Also kinda ironic because I remember when the show came out there were a bunch of fans complaining that everyone was way too attractive and it gave it the feel of one of those vapid teen shows.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, I'm slightly worried about people calling Madeleine Madden, Daniel Hennery, Josha Stradowski, Zoe Robins, Rosamund Pike, Marcus Rutherford or Barney Harris unattractive. One of the key, overwhelming complaints from people has been "They're all too pretty, they all look like <insert generic show/network here>,"

This is the dumbest complaint of them all. "They are too pretty, this makes it look like a CW show" makes no sense whatsoever when 99% of the shows on all channels and streaming platforms have gorgeous actors playing the main roles. And the WOT cast is hardly exceptionally attractive by TV standards.

Maybe the appearance of Ceara Coveney in Season 2 will help those of you who feel the cast is lacking in this aspect. She certainly can make the infamous bath scene way more popular than its book version.

Screen presence is a thing.  It can come with exceptional attractiveness or not.  But you really need either great acting skills, screen charisma or good looks, and most of this cast is missing 2/3 or 3/3.  But, I generally didn't like WOT, did not like the casting, the writing, the story, the CGI or even the source material.  To use the GOT comparison again, I don't see any future stars in this cast.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

I didn't make a conscious decision to stop watching the show.  My last episode was Nynaeve's healing nuke the day it came out and I just haven't made time to watch more yet.  :dunno:  

It gets worse. Laughably bad. Group shunning bad. My niece has written random jibberish in crayon that is more fit to be filmed than this travesty of a production that all involved should be ashamed to call their work. 

On 2/12/2022 at 11:15 AM, Poobah said:

I'm kinda... on the one hand baffled that people think any of these actors are unattractive and on the other hand entirely uninterested in judging a piece of media on the hotness of the people cast in it, it seems like such a meaningless, shallow, and generally shitty metric to use. To be honest I tend to see an inverse relationship in media, where shows that obviously prioritised (mostly normative) hotness in their casting are usually bad.

Edit: Also kinda ironic because I remember when the show came out there were a bunch of fans complaining that everyone was way too attractive and it gave it the feel of one of those vapid teen shows.

Totally with you on this.

I still haven't managed to find the energy to watch the final episode. 

4 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Ok, got to Episode 8 - with incredible effort.

Worst show ever. Destroyed the definitive fantasy series of the first 3 decades of my life.

Hope it gets cancelled and this Rafe Whatshisface never gets to produce anything again.

RJ is surely turning in his grave

:lol::lol::lol:

12 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I am perplexed at anyone who would look at the line up of actors and think 'oh they're too beautiful'.  

De gustibus non est disputandum.

To me, they're all "Hollywood handsome" for the most part, and a cut above the average, some moreso than others, but I'd be hard-pressed to say I consider any of them show-stoppingly beautiful.

That said, Jordan's characters are also all supposed to be a cut above the average for Randland, given how women and men alike thrown themselves at them, so the complaint that they're too good-looking is weird since Jordan imagined the TR kids as all being lookers. That some of them maybe look too modern in appearance, due to styling or some ineffable quality, that may be true. There are actors who "look" like they belong in period pieces -- think Helena Bonham Carter -- and actors who don't -- think Keanu Reeves (at least in Bram Stoker's Dracula and Much Ado About Nothing; he worked all right in Dangerous Liasons) or Cameron Diaz (in Gangs of New York). 

19 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Wait you haven't finished watching this?

Yeah, episode 8, I could tell from the way 7 ended, would be totally infuriating. And that proved to be true from what I read here and on Reddit, so I've never really had the motivation to finish it all up.

32 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Yeah, episode 8, I could tell from the way 7 ended, would be totally infuriating. And that proved to be true from what I read here and on Reddit, so I've never really had the motivation to finish it all up.

Duty is heavier than a mountain. WATCH IT!!!

As someone who spent more time on Wotmania and Readandfindout over the years than on the Westeros forum, WoT was very special to me - although it declined after the high point of Lord of Chaos, became a real drag after Path of Daggers, and then a dumpster fire once Sanderson took over.

But this show in no shape or form represents Jordan’s work in any meaningful way. It is a worse adaptation than anything I could have imagined.

Colour me shocked that it might have meant something different to you than it meant to me, that's the beauty of fiction after all. Also shocked that you'd have a low opinion of Rafe!

Fionwe - The A Plot of episode 8 (Rand and Moiraine going to the Eye) is mostly solid aside from one poor editing/camera shot choice and one nitpicky thing during the trip that didnt bother me, but probably would you. Most of the complaints have been about the Trolloc attack/defense of FD and what Fain does. Not sure if knowing that at least one half of it is relatively solid will help.

3 hours ago, David Selig said:

I thought the stuff at the Eye was almost as bad as the Nynaeve/Egwene plotline. Painfully bad dialogue and mediocre visuals.

Hide contents

Ishamael being dressed like a waiter in a fancy restaurant didn't help matters either.

I keep seeing folks say "Ishy was good" and whatnot and I don't get it. I'm like who is this guy!?! He's just like some generic muahaha asshole in an uninspired tunic and then he died or something. I'm not entirely sure. I was kind of doing two things at once during the finale and I gotta be honest, watching the paint dry really became my primary focus as the episode moved on.

When you're at that point of not enjoying something it becomes self perpetuating, of course you're not going to enjoy any of it. If you'd found yourself able to enjoy parts of the season, but didn't like others, then my claim is that the A plot is much more likely to work for you than the B plot.

But ffs if you're going to insist it's shit and terribly written you can at least identify that simple things like the costume choice for the primary antagonist is serving the plot and intended to imply things to a show only audience and simply say it didn't work for you. He's not dressed like a waiter, he's dressed in an Age of Legends tux  which is clearly made of much more modern fabric than the rest of the costumes and is also a hint that he's been stuck wearing it for 3000 years, hence it being disheveled.

Archived