The Wheel of Time TV: Ta'veren Tango (Book Spoilers)

IlyaP

Dawg, the fact that I'm talking about his clothes is -in itself- an assertion that there is nothing to the character. He was just a guy in a weird jacket who said such vaguely evil things that I can't even recall them. 

He was a terrible villain who was not set up at all and then did a thing to Moiraine that was so poorly depicted and unexplained that you people can make hundred word arguments about whether or not she was actually stilled or just shielded with the weaves inverted. 

That's it. That's the dude's impact on the story. 

And I don't want to blame the actor. It's the writing. I don't blame any of these actors, not even the little girl doing a Jack Sparrow/Bellatrix Lestrange impression of a Dark friend in episode 3. I mean at some point you're working with schlock and I appreciate the professionalism of going out there and giving it an honest try, even if your performance is silly. 

Look, I don't wanna be mean. It's nice to like things with a, let's say, eyes closed approach. But c'mon, that shit was terrible. It was just terrible. 

Some of the costumes looked cool. I liked the Aes Sedai uniforms, they looked snazzy. That's it for the things the show did well. 

4 hours ago, karaddin said:

When you're at that point of not enjoying something it becomes self perpetuating, of course you're not going to enjoy any of it. If you'd found yourself able to enjoy parts of the season, but didn't like others, then my claim is that the A plot is much more likely to work for you than the B plot.

This is definitely true, for me. It was a gradual shift but as the season progressed, I definitely started looking at the flaws more. 

My real complaint isn't that they changed so much. It's that they changed so much without clear focus or purpose. That, and the editing/storyboarding was also something that I increasingly found hard to accept. 

And for me, part of reason the EotW plot being ok doesn't matter is because Rand just accepting he's the Dragon Reborn increasingly seems like it's a bad choice, to me. The more I think on it, the more it cuts away the crucial early struggle with accepting his fate that makes him a sympathetic character. The Rand of the show can still have that struggle, modified, of course, but Season 1's writing doesn't exactly make me think they'll do a great job with it. 

32 minutes ago, Rhom said:

@Babblebauble I'm sorry.  I didn't listen.  I watched it.  Four episodes.  In. A. Row.

:leaving:

I guess it was fine for a generic fantasy show.  It was not Wheel of Time though.

You laughed at Lan's griefing scene didn't you? 

Didn't you!?!

Make like Will Smith in Concussion and tell the truth!!!

4 hours ago, Babblebauble said:

Didn't you!?!

I pounded my fist in my chest and wept for all that was lost.

8 hours ago, Babblebauble said:

Didn't you!?!

I went and made tea. I don't even drink tea, but it was something to do while I pondered how the showrunners/writers decided to spend twenty minutes fleshing out Warder grieving instead of the myriad of cast members who remained cardboard cutouts all the way to the end.

I read these books so long ago...but they got me into fantasy. Good on 'em. And now there's a show.

This show is...fine. There are just so many decisions I don't understand at all. Most of the things that made me scratch my head in confusion have already been gone over and no need for me to pile on.
I wish the Blight had looked better, though. It just looked boring rather than weird and dangerous.

I like Egwene and Nynaeve. They're interesting and have actual characterization. The writers should try that out on the other EFers.

53 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

There is a chance he'll be combined with Hurin, so he joins with Perrin for the hunt for the Horn.

I kinda thought of that after I typed it.  Would make the most sense likely.

• 9 months later...

So this seems like relevant news: Rafe Judkins is the announced show runner of the green-lit God of Wars TV series at Amazon. Naturally, many wonder how he's supposed to run two shows at once, which raises the question as to whether his days as WoT's show runner are numbered... and whether this means WoT's days, in turn, are numbered.

26 minutes ago, Ran said:

So this seems like relevant news: Rafe Judkins is the announced show runner of the green-lit God of Wars TV series at Amazon. Naturally, many wonder how he's supposed to run two shows at once, which raises the question as to whether his days as WoT's show runner are numbered... and whether this means WoT's days, in turn, are numbered.

I would like to believe that only Judkins' days are numbered. But on the side of the GoW show, it seems that some well credited writers were hired so maybe he is only doing a producer's job? :dunno:

I think the gaps between seasons of WoT are such that he could easily fit more stuff in, especially as GoW is likely to be a one-or-two season project at most (there aren't ten seasons' worth of material here). Also recall that WoT has already been renewed for Season 3, which is set to start shooting in a few months, before Season 2 airs (supposedly to shrink the gaps between the seasons, which didn't work out first time around thanks to LotR landing awkwardly in the same timeslot they were eyeing).

We're also seeing a lot more of this now, with showrunners taking on multiple jobs. James Gunn is supposedly still showrunning Peacemaker despite also now being the creative team for all of DC, and at one point Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy were showrunning two projects and making a feature film simultaneously (although their schedule abruptly cleared up).

Of course, back in the day Rick Berman and Joss Whedon show ran two series simultaneously making 52 and 44 episodes a year (Whedon even ticked that up to 3, totaling 57) and were able to do that through delegation to secondary producers (who effectively became sub-showrunners under them). That's even more doable these days.

Archived