Was Jon wrong to kill Janos Slynt?

Odej

On 12/28/2021 at 2:29 PM, Odej said:

Reading some posts about Jon Snow's attitudes as Lord Commander I realized that many people don't agree with Jon killing Janos Slynt and that made me curious. I always thought Jon's attitude was correct. Janos disrespected and disobeyed him publicly, letting his behavior go unpunished would make Jon weak in front of his subordinates. In an environment like the Wall, how to respect a leader whom an underling can curse and disobey him without serious consequences? Especially considering how many men who serve on the Wall were thieves, rapists and murderers.

What do you guys think of Jon's decision?

Jon was fickle.  He killed Janos Slynt but gave mercy to Mance Rayder.  The execution was not justice. 

On 1/24/2022 at 5:43 AM, Mordred said:

The killing of Slynt was grey but it became black when Jon gives Mance Rayder a break.  Jon should have killed Mance Rayder.  If he had, then his act of revenge on Slynt looks a little bit less immoral.  Jon is not capable of being fair.  He needed to be removed from power.  Which is what the crows did. 

The public execution of Janos Slynt sent a warning message to the other men.  Jon is willing to kill opposition.  Which is tyranny at the wall. 

18 hours ago, Rosetta Stone said:

Jon was fickle.  He killed Janos Slynt but gave mercy to Mance Rayder.  The execution was not justice. 

18 hours ago, Rosetta Stone said:

The public execution of Janos Slynt sent a warning message to the other men.  Jon is willing to kill opposition.  Which is tyranny at the wall. 

And I hear, now that Jon is dead he has the power to warg into the internet and spam forums with troll posts! He's SO evil.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 6:27 PM, FictionIsntReal said:

That's an exaggeration. He talked back rather than following orders but he didn't "sieze" anything or make a real attempt. Mutiny as defined under law requires multiple people to act in concert, and that didn't happen.

He attempted to displace Jon as Lord Commander of the Watch. That goes a bit beyond refusing to obey an order. 

On 1/22/2022 at 6:27 PM, FictionIsntReal said:

Simple refusal to obey an order does not result in death in any first-world army I'm aware of.

Again, not simple refusal to obey an order, and First World has little or nothing to do with what happens at the Wall.

Wildings flooding in, The Others geared up to attack and slaughter everybody at any second; not exactly the best time to let insubordination fester and undermine your authority. Justified or not, Janos would have just be in the way. 100 percent agree with the call to execute him. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 2:56 PM, Nordom said:

Wildings flooding in, The Others geared up to attack and slaughter everybody at any second; not exactly the best time to let insubordination fester and undermine your authority. Justified or not, Janos would have just be in the way. 100 percent agree with the call to execute him. 

Jon has or had the worst timing of anybody.  With all that you say is going on, the idiot made the decision to send a wildling criminal and a traitor to look for his sister.  The argument with Slynt was the perfect time to unite the Brotherhood but instead it was broken by Jon.  Slynt had friends.  Jon alienated and upset them.  

On 2/20/2022 at 10:53 AM, Damsel in Distress said:

I criticized Jon three years ago for killing Janos. Jon took the situation with Janos and made it personal.  A lord commander of the watch is not supposed to do that. 

Slynt made it personal before Jon ever did. 

10 hours ago, SeanF said:

Stannis’ nod of approval implies that the execution of Slynt was entirely normative in this world.

Yes but Stannis is a traitor and usurper to the Empress's throne. A false king who dared think himself above the Targaryens. ;) 

26 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Yes but Stannis is a traitor and usurper to the Empress's throne. A false king who dared think himself above the Targaryens. ;) 

While I hate to discuss the Abomination on a book thread, condemning the execution of Slynt is as absurd as condemning the execution of the Tarlys.

46 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

dude.. technically, Stannis is Targaryen. long live the king :closedeyes:

17 hours ago, SeanF said:

While I hate to discuss the Abomination on a book thread, condemning the execution of Slynt is as absurd as condemning the execution of the Tarlys.

Well Jon didn't give that absurd I'm not here to murder or enslave you now bend the knee or die speech, lol. 

43 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Well Jon didn't give that absurd I'm not here to murder or enslave you now bend the knee or die speech, lol. 

No, he just walloped off his head.  If anything, giving the Tarlys the option to bend the knee was weakness.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

No, he just walloped off his head.  If anything, giving the Tarlys the option to bend the knee was weakness.

Bit of a difference between executing prisoners and executing an oathbreaker. Jon gave Slynt multiple chances to obey his order and he repeatedly refused. I guess that was weakness too?

Punishment for refusing to obey an order should be whipping or beating, not execution. Jon wanted revenge on Janos because of his dad, and not because of what Janos did or didn't do at the wall. I hate Jon

Archived