The Book of Boba Fett [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

Not a bad start. I expected the episodes to be short like The Mandalorian's and that's what we got.

All the background stuff was good, with Boba getting out of the Sarlacc pit, the Jawas and the Tuskens.

The present day stuff was fine, too. The Gamorrans were the highlight, finally looking like worthy bodyguards.

Yup, that was solid. Low-key, small stakes but I'm okay with that for now.

Matt Berry as the torture droid promoted to majordomo but who can't stop thinking about torturing was entertaining. And the return of the Max Rebo Band was way more awesome than it had any right to be.

I'm wondering if it's too much to hope for for a cameo from a very ancient Watto?

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I'm wondering if it's too much to hope for for a cameo from a very ancient Watto?

No. A hundred times no. Let's forget that particularly unpleasant bit of racism was in the movies, please.

This was a pretty good episode, not outstanding. Temuera Morrison is the best thing about it, I felt. He avoids the pitfall of playing Boba Fett as a one-dimensional emotionless badass (helped by the writers, of course). But if you've read, seen or imagined even one version of Boba Fett escaping the Sarlacc (and most of us have), that stuff feels pretty familiar. No interesting twists. The modern day stuff has more promise but is mostly setup. I'd have preferred more of that and less of the flashback for the first episode, but a certain amount of table-setting had to happen, I suppose.

2 minutes ago, mormont said:

No. A hundred times no. Let's forget that particularly unpleasant bit of racism was in the movies, please.

This was a pretty good episode, not outstanding. Temuera Morrison is the best thing about it, I felt. He avoids the pitfall of playing Boba Fett as a one-dimensional emotionless badass (helped by the writers, of course). But if you've read, seen or imagined even one version of Boba Fett escaping the Sarlacc (and most of us have), that stuff feels pretty familiar. No interesting twists. The modern day stuff has more promise but is mostly setup. I'd have preferred more of that and less of the flashback for the first episode, but a certain amount of table-setting had to happen, I suppose.

Can you honestly do more with the escape from the Sarlacc though?  Whether it's canon or not, everyone knows the basic premise of the escape, as you say.  So trying to do something new might have just been a too difficult?  Maybe spend a few moments less on it though?

OR...fun idea...the original Boba Fett did actually die after the Pit...and this current one is just another Clone Trooper who found him and took on his identity...yeah...let's get THAT rumor started... :P

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Why would anyone want that???

I'd be interested to see if they could redeem him, but I vaguely recall the character seemed a lot more aged in Clones even though it was only 10 years later, so I assume he'd be dead given it's now what, 28 years further down the line.

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'd be interested to see if they could redeem him, but I vaguely recall the character seemed a lot more aged in Clones even though it was only 10 years later, so I assume he'd be dead given it's now what, 28 years further down the line.

Also, as Mormont says, he’s a horrible Jewish stereotype.

The flashback sections seemed a little slow paced to me, but I liked the present day stuff. Nice to see Gamorreans are actually useful when they’re not up against a Jedi.

It was fine. Another in the line of mandalorian where it doesn't do anything really to expand anything, isn't super challenging and the fights don't make any sense. 

Definitely smart to send a bunch of assassins to kill people in broad daylight and at close range with shields and atabby bits. The show does know that people have blasters set to stun, right? 

Mos Espa is cool at least. 

i didn't enjoy it, not enough happened.

Those assassins were clearly Hand ninjas, though.  We need the IMMORTAL IRON FIST to team up with Boba.

I'm also curious how Boba seemed to survive several days as a prisoner-slave of the Tuskens with apparently no water ration and why pods of water grow apparently 5 inches under the sand?

53 minutes ago, Kalsandra said:

It was fine. Another in the line of mandalorian where it doesn't do anything really to expand anything, isn't super challenging and the fights don't make any sense. 

Definitely smart to send a bunch of assassins to kill people in broad daylight and at close range with shields and atabby bits. The show does know that people have blasters set to stun, right? 

Mos Espa is cool at least. 

Have to agree.

I wish Favreau wasn't involved. This first episode had nothing to set it apart from the Mandalorian. I wish another writing crew and production team were in charge of this new series.

Visually, it's cool to be back on Tatooine and have all these throwbacks to the original trilogy. But it looks as though this is another show that will be devoid of substance. Also, how cut-throat can a PG Star Wars meets the Godfather truly be?

What Lord Patrek and Kalsandra said. 

Plus, although I like Temuera Morrison a lot, the writing behind the character feels fuzzy.  I never paid much attention to Fett in the films, and didn't follow any of the books, comics etc. but he was a clever and competent if apparently excessively violent bounty hunter ("no disintegrations") fond of flirting with party aliens in the palace of a mafia slug boss, though I have a feeling the latter might be one of George Lucas's later inserts. 

I assume that the Sarlaac and imprisonment are meant by the show to be our hero's Damascene conversion. We've now got someone that automatically winces when he sees someone beaten, wants to rule (as opposed to grab the money and go), wants to rule by respect not fear, and seems about as stable and decent as Star Wars characters are able to be. In fact, he seems kind of bland - even more so than Mando.

All that being said, I'll still watch the next episode. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Seriously? Come on!

If this is cut-throat, then no wonder we can't really expect any level of cunning, mercilessness, and violence that go beyond what you'd expect from a kids show. :unsure:

Personally I would never hold a Star Wars movie or show at the same standards as Godfather or The Sopranos.

14 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Of course not, but it's sold as this cut-throat criminal underworld story. Coming from Disney, how cut-throat can it be?

It's sold as a Star Wars series, a franchise that has been aimed at kids pretty much from the very start. In as much as it's going to be about building a criminal empire, it's always going to be in that context.

I was going to say if you're expecting to see severed bantha heads, this is not the show for that, then remembered Mr. Six Limb's head got cut off anyway, so there we go.

29 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Of course not, but it's sold as this cut-throat criminal underworld story. Coming from Disney, how cut-throat can it be?

That remains to be seen. I don't expect it to go beyond The Empire Strikes Back or to be darker than Revenge of the Sith.

Archived