The Book of Boba Fett [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

First episode pretty disappointing for me, very little to it. 6 out of 10 stars max.

Looking forward to seeing more and for this to be more fleshed out. Doesnt look like it will be up to Mandalorian standards.

20 hours ago, Rhom said:

Sometimes you guys are just buzzkills.

Its Star Wars with high production values that didn’t ruin anything that came before it.  For that, I enjoyed it and continue to lament that Kathleen Kennedy was ever allowed creative control of Star Wars in any capacity.

The buzzkill here on The Mandalorian was extremely interesting, and alone of the Internet, possibly unique. Normally the forum works well as a micro-encapsulation of the wider debates surrounding a show (I'd say it's done that well on Wheel of TimeThe Witcher etc) but the unrelenting negativity on Mando was fascinating, because it was so unusual. The only other example is probably The Expanse, the books more than the TV show, where the praise is somewhat higher than it seems to be in the general internet consensus (as much as something exists).

My take on Boba Fett so far is that it might turn out to be the TV equivalent of Solo: inoffensive, not particularly great, but certainly not unwatchable crap either. Disposable fun (although I'm not sure Temeura Morrison with severe heatstroke is the best lead in the flashback sequences). The Mandalorian is a fair bit better than that.

14 hours ago, DMC said:

Didn't mind all the flashbacks that much -- as long as now the show is done with it. 

I suspect we're going to get more flashbacks...maybe even every show.  When we first saw Fett in The Mandalorian, he was dressed in Tusken robes, and carrying a gaffi stick.  At the end of this episode, we see the head Tusken give him a drink of water, as if he was being "accepted" into their tribe.  So...it wouldn't surprise me at all if we see continuing flashbacks of his time with that Tusken group.

13 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

I suspect we're going to get more flashbacks...maybe even every show.  When we first saw Fett in The Mandalorian, he was dressed in Tusken robes, and carrying a gaffi stick.  At the end of this episode, we see the head Tusken give him a drink of water, as if he was being "accepted" into their tribe.  So...it wouldn't surprise me at all if we see continuing flashbacks of his time with that Tusken group.

I suspect you may be right, which is kinda why I emphasized it.  For me the flashbacks were perfectly sufficient to explain why he was in Tusken robes, I really don't need to see any more of it.  I hope they're done with it, but I guess we'll see.

ETA:  Thinking about it I think you are almost certainly right.  Unless I missed it - which is entirely possible - I still don't think we have an explanation for why he needs a Vader-esque restoration chamber.  Which presumably means we'll get more of an explanation via flashbacks.

if he is transformed, there should be an examination of it, and the flashbacks can do that work. plotting in medias res with sustained analepsis has an ancient pedigree. lynch and lawrence use the technique effectively enough. i wonder if the show will work like pohl's gateway, present day and past sequences culminating at the event horizon, say.

11 minutes ago, sologdin said:

if he is transformed, there should be an examination of it, and the flashbacks can do that work. plotting in medias res with sustained analepsis has an ancient pedigree.

Sure, I just don't care enough about Boba Fett to want to watch such flashbacks.  I have read this is supposed to Mandalorian season 2.5, which is encouraging and what I'm here for.

I don't know a transformation matters given that there is no earlier story to transform from. He was a bounty hunter working for criminals, then became a tusken raider, then went back to criminal stuff?

That ain't an arc. That's barely a synopsis. 

I had a feeling of deja vu watching that rooftop chase because earlier that same day I was watching Carnival Row where Philo was chasing Unseelie Jack.  The rooftop chase in both just seemed choreographed the same and the shot of characters hopping between buildings on the top of cylindrical smoke stacks or whatever they were venting seem so similar I would almost bet they used some of same crew, and that sections of that set might have been borrowed from other show.

I've always wished Boba Fett's origin story was slightly different...

Jango Fett, this ruthless bad ass bounty hunter just decides when he is chosen as the pilot design of an army of clones that he wants to be a daddy.

Fine. There could be interesting back stories that explain this motivation but we didn't get them*

However,  I think it would be a much more interesting development and better in a "show, don't tell" narrative if we saw in Episode II that Boba was originally a defective clones, something that is rare but still happens from time to time. His sped up aging process malfunctioned and now he's aging normally, that also has an effect on not being as obedient as the other clones,  he's more prone to individuality. 

Anyway, he's scheduled for termination because he is defected, Jango learns of this and takes pity on him, and now he has an apprentice/son.

To me, that would be a much more fitting origin story for a character like the legendary Boba Fett and pretty interesting to explore in a show how that foundation effects the person he is.

* If this is elaborated on in something like the Clone Wars series or other media, forgive me that I've not seen it or read it.

5 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

* If this is elaborated on in something like the Clone Wars series or other media, forgive me that I've not seen it or read it.

The idea of defective clones is, they have their own show now. Boba Fett is also in Clone Wars as a child, I remember not liking him. It'll be interesting to go back and watch that sometime after this show is (season? is it going to continue?) is over.

On 12/29/2021 at 6:55 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

How and why was there a Stormtrooper inside the Sarlacc?  

The more interesting question to me is, judging by the rate of digestion of the trooper, their body has been therein anywhere between one hundred to two hundred years… :p

8 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

The more interesting question to me is, judging by the rate of digestion of the trooper, their body has been therein anywhere between one hundred to two hundred years… :p

Less than 20 years. There were no stormtroopers with that armor before that. It's another statement on the piss-poor quality of stormtrooper armor that it was already showing severe signs of degradation. ;)

Archived