The Book of Boba Fett [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

That was at least more fun, if just as stupid. Danny Trejo! Stephen root! Rancors being treated like really goofy mixes of pit bulls and ducks! The world's slowest speeder bike chase! 

Krssantan or how you spell it had more emotional heft than anyone else on the show, and I want more of him kicking ass. 

Bobo leaves the biker baddies alive and they end up killing his Tusken pals, which makes Bobo more inclined to keep letting people that cross him live?

The 15mph scooter chase was a particular lowlight, along with the bit where everyone forgot about blasters while they were fighting Evil Chewbacca, instead choosing to face him with wooden spoons and yo-yos.

Almost bad enough to make me stop watching, but I might give it one more episode.

34 minutes ago, mormont said:

Speaking of Black Krrsantan:

Surprised it wasn't Badbacca. Though to be fair, Krrantan was more "chewie" than Chewbacca.

19 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Bobo leaves the biker baddies alive and they end up killing his Tusken pals, which makes Bobo more inclined to keep letting people that cross him live?

The 15mph scooter chase was a particular lowlight, along with the bit where everyone forgot about blasters while they were fighting Evil Chewbacca, instead choosing to face him with wooden spoons and yo-yos.

Almost bad enough to make me stop watching, but I might give it one more episode.

Agreed. If it wasn't for the Star Wars trappings, the action in this episode would be straight out of Spy Kids. Hold up....

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea amongst the general fandom, if you’re gonna depict Boba, it has to be Temuera. Or don’t do a Boba series. He’s baked into the series now with everything the prequels did.

I think people forget the Temuera played Jango, not Boba. The expectation was that Boba would grow up to look like Temuera because of the whole clone thing, but they could have provided an explanation as for why that was not the case (I mean, Jango makes a big deal about Boba being "altered" several times).

Also working out the timing here. By my count Attack of the Clones to The Book of Boba Fett is 31 years. Temeura Morrison looks 20 years too old to play Boba Fett at this point. It's almost 20 years since Attack of the Clones came out. It'd make more sense to rehire Daniel Logan to play the role and age him up 5-7 years rather than trying to make Temeura look 20 years younger (and they haven't, at all). He's already played the young Fett and various "clone cadets" in The Clone Wars.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think people forget the Temuera played Jango, not Boba. The expectation was that Boba would grow up to look like Temuera because of the whole clone thing, but they could have provided an explanation as for why that was not the case (I mean, Jango makes a big deal about Boba being "altered" several times).

True, they could have, especially since Filoni introduced Omega in The Bad Batch.

46 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Also working out the timing here. By my count Attack of the Clones to The Book of Boba Fett is 31 years. Temeura Morrison looks 20 years too old to play Boba Fett at this point. It's almost 20 years since Attack of the Clones came out. It'd make more sense to rehire Daniel Logan to play the role and age him up 5-7 years rather than trying to make Temeura look 20 years younger (and they haven't, at all). He's already played the young Fett and various "clone cadets" in The Clone Wars.

All of this is true, but see my previous post. There's a segment of the fandom for whom casting anyone but Morrison would have been blasphemy. And Jon Favreau and Robert Rodriguez are firmly within that segment.

52 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Also working out the timing here. By my count Attack of the Clones to The Book of Boba Fett is 31 years. Temeura Morrison looks 20 years too old to play Boba Fett at this point. It's almost 20 years since Attack of the Clones came out.

Yeah I'm surprised this is the first time I've seen it mentioned here that Boba looks about twenty years older than Jango at the same age.  They could've chalked it up to the sarlacc and/or whatever reason he has for taking frequent bacta baths, but the flashbacks kinda ruin that.  Explaining it away by claiming Boba's genes were "altered" does seem most expedient, but I think it's undercut by the fact that - IIRC - Boba was a pure genetic copy whereas the clones were subject to growth acceleration.  If anything it's the clones who should look that old!

Anyway, I don't think the show is suffering too much because Morrison lack a certain charisma/gravitas.  The show just isn't nearly as well-written as Mandalorian IMHO - whether that's because they inherently limited what stories they could tell boxed in on Tatooine or because Favreau has been the sole writing credit on the first three episodes (and apparently will be for all the episodes but the last one, co-written by Filoni).

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Anyway, I don't think the show is suffering too much because Morrison lack a certain charisma/gravitas.  The show just isn't nearly as well-written as Mandalorian IMHO - whether that's because they inherently limited what stories they could tell boxed in on Tatooine or because Favreau has been the sole writing credit on the first three episodes (and apparently will be for all the episodes but the last one, co-written by Filoni).

I don't really think it's the writing. The writing on Mando was not particularly good either. There are at least a couple more amusing bits in Mando compared, but I think most of it is that baby yoda was new and interesting and mysterious and a Jedi - and Boba Fett is none of those things. 

It doesn't help being stuck on Tattooine, mind you, but the writing ain't all that great anywhere, nor was the acting. It's still Clone Wars/Rebels levels of writing and acting, with some fun stunt casting. 

1 minute ago, Kalsandra said:

I don't really think it's the writing. The writing on Mando was not particularly good either. There are at least a couple more amusing bits in Mando compared, but I think most of it is that baby yoda was new and interesting and mysterious and a Jedi - and Boba Fett is none of those things. 

Well, yes, I think the fundamental problem is neither Boba Fett nor the premise of the show are very interesting - at least in comparison to Mando.  So, I guess I'm conflating "writing" there with just that the narrative and plot is inherently less compelling (at least to me).  But, the reason I mentioned Favreau is I do think he may be getting burned out.  Pretty sure he's never done nearly this much writing throughout his career.

5 minutes ago, sologdin said:

am curious where the good star wars writing is?

I think certain episodes of Mando, Rebels, and especially the Ahsoka finale of Clone Wars are examples of good writing.  Also Rogue One, but don't want to open that can of worms.  Granted, I don't think anyone should be taking home hardware or anything, but there's a comparative, discernible difference.

One thing I would like to see is Boba actually improving the palace's security, because damn. Even back in Jabba's days people were entering without a problem, and Boba himself waltzed in and executed the previous occupant. He should know better.

Oh, did anyone notice Amy Sedaris (dunno if it was actually the actress) and two of her droids showing up in the background for a split-second at the beginning of Boba's flashback this ep?  Now there's a character I wouldn't mind seeing again.

Wow! The third episode was shit from start to finish. :(

Fanfic level of mediocrity. And that bunch of young ones with the flashy mopeds and the droid parts has to be the lamest addition to the Star Wars universe in years.

I wasn't expecting much, but this is worse than I ever thought it could be. . .

2 hours ago, sologdin said:

am curious where the good star wars writing is?

In the franchise overall? Matt Stover. He took George Lucas's absolutely shitshow of a script for Revenge of the Sith and re-engineered it into an outstanding novel (almost certainly the greatest film novelization of all time), and his original Star Wars fiction is excellent.

If they could get him writing for any of the modern franchise, it would be excellent. Unfortunately I don't think he stayed tight with George Lucas (who at one point was a fan of his writing, and Lucas didn't really give a shit about most of the other novel writers) or the publishers after the EU was retconned out of existence.

53 minutes ago, Werthead said:

In the franchise overall? Matt Stover. He took George Lucas's absolutely shitshow of a script for Revenge of the Sith and re-engineered it into an outstanding novel (almost certainly the greatest film novelization of all time), and his original Star Wars fiction is excellent.

If they could get him writing for any of the modern franchise, it would be excellent. Unfortunately I don't think he stayed tight with George Lucas (who at one point was a fan of his writing, and Lucas didn't really give a shit about most of the other novel writers) or the publishers after the EU was retconned out of existence.

I disagree. The Revenge of the Sith novel novel was nothing to write home about. As for the script, well. . .

The Star Wars universe has become as bad as the Marvel universe. And there is no reason for Disney to invest in better talent as far as the writing goes because fans have shown that they will eat up any sort of crap with a spoon and beg for more.

Shareholders are probably extremely happy about that.

Archived