The Book of Boba Fett [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

Yeah I really don't get this show. If you're going to make a show about Boba Fett because he's a cool bounty hunter how about have him be a cool bounty hunter.

This Boba Fett would find his prey, feel sorry for them, give them all his stuff and let them go.

But eh I'll keep watching. I mean I guess its on the fun side of terrible. If you turn your brain off and forget who everyone is meant to be that is.

This show feels like as if The Hound arrived in Kings Landing, killed whoever sat on the throne and proclaimed himself king. Except when he takes off his helmet, it's really Ned Stark who is now trying to navigate being king.

It took me a second to recognize young Natalie from Yellowjackets as the leader of the hoverbike kids that Boba recruits.    Loved Danny Trejo as the Rancor trainer, but otherwise another lackluster episode, with a less than thrilling chase scene. 

The chase scene was not great. It feels forced right from the start: given the past history with the Mayor, why would Fett and Shand not just walk right in? They wait only to give the chase scene a chance to start. And then it's very slow, and comes off as everyone in the writers' room taking turns to come up with a comedy bit. It doesn't flow or excite. Very disappointing. 

I'm not keen on massacring the Tuskens offscreen to give Fett a motivation either. 

I'm feeling that the show has potential but isn't living up to it so far. There are good bits but it isn't coming together. We need to know more about Fennec Shand and have more scenes with Ming-Na Wen, for a start, and move the present-day plot forward at a brisker pace. And we need to make the stakes clearer. 

31 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

A benevolent crime lord, you say. Why would that feel weird??

Nothing really makes sense on this show. . .

Maybe benevolent is the wrong word, but he’s shooting for respect rather than fear. And the role seems more complex than simply ‘crime lord’ (has the show actually used that term?), given how the role of mayor seems highly corrupt, maybe this is the closest thing to leadership that you can aspire to on Tatooine.

Quite why he picked Tatooine, or Mos Espa, when as far as we know he doesn’t have any ties there is still an open question. But my interpretation so far is that his ultimate goal is still an intentional mystery. 

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Maybe benevolent is the wrong word, but he’s shooting for respect rather than fear. And the role seems more complex than simply ‘crime lord’ (has the show actually used that term?), given how the role of mayor seems highly corrupt, maybe this is the closest thing to leadership that you can aspire to on Tatooine.

Quite why he picked Tatooine, or Mos Espa, when as far as we know he doesn’t have any ties there is still an open question. But my interpretation so far is that his ultimate goal is still an intentional mystery. 

"I'm the crime lord here. He's supposed to pay me." Episode 1

17 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

I disagree. The Revenge of the Sith novel novel was nothing to write home about. As for the script, well. . .

The Star Wars universe has become as bad as the Marvel universe. And there is no reason for Disney to invest in better talent as far as the writing goes because fans have shown that they will eat up any sort of crap with a spoon and beg for more.

Shareholders are probably extremely happy about that.

I mean, obviously not. The Last Jedi did reasonable business but it was sharply down on The Force Awakens, and The Rise of Skywalker barely scraped a profit. Solo actually did bomb and lost money. The only universally-well-received Star Wars movie since 2015 is Rogue One. The combined impact of that was pushing the next feature film off until way into the future (it's now going to be at least five years between Star Wars theatrical releases, probably more). The Resistance animated series also did very poorly. The new canon novels are selling a very modest fraction of what Bantam and Ace did in the 1990s and early 2000s (which they can probably thank Chuck Wendig's less-than-competent intro books for), although the new comics are doing reasonably well both critically and commercially.

It's clear that Disney are taking a close look at Star Wars's performance and there does seem to be a correlation between critical reception/divisiveness and the money coming in.

OTOH, the new Star Wars video games have sold incredibly well (even the generic Battlefront games and the hugely controversial second one) and The Mandalorian has done massive business driving Disney+'s early success almost single-handed. I'm actually a bit puzzled as to what purpose Boba Fett serves really. It's not going to draw in more people than either The Mandalorian or Obi-Wan, and I don't see it aiding subscriber retention in the meantime. The only function it is serving is taking up six weeks in the schedule where Disney+ don't want people to un-sub until the next high-profile show launches.

I think it's simply that Boba Fett knows Tatooine from having worked there for Jabba before, and Jabba's palace is located near Mos Espa and it's part of his territory, as was established in The Phantom Menace. Boba Fett's name and reputation carries more respect on Tatooine then most places in the galaxy. 

I think there is some confusion because Mos Eisley is Tatooine's better-known big city and Jabba hangs out there briefly in the Special Edition of Episode IV, but it looks like Eisley is the biggest spaceport and one of the reasons Han was there was to avoid Jabba. Greedo and Jabba had to come to him. Some of the semi-canon maps of Tatooine put it on the other side of the planet.

5 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I honestly don't understand this show.  Why can't Disney just let a bad person be a bad person, or failing that at least amoral.  Making everything be misunderstood nice is just... .awful.

Here’s every single line adult Boba spoke before this series:

"As you wish."

"What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me."

"He's no good to me dead."

"Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold."

His whole personality was that he was a bounty hunter. That’s it. So he was bad in as much as that’s a bad profession.

1 minute ago, DaveSumm said:

Here’s every single line adult Boba spoke before this series:

His whole personality was that he was a bounty hunter. That’s it. So he was bad in as much as that’s a bad profession.

"I want him alive, no disentegrations."

Boba Fett has been a grey character since the Clone Wars series. He's influenced by the bad people he's around growing up and full of anger and desire for revenge against Mace Windu. But there is also some moral code in him that makes him regret some of his actions. 

Those vespa-speeders we're worse than the mounted charge from RotS. Ugh. I feel like I have to actively turn my brain off to enjoy this at times ... then other times it has pieces that can work or look cool. For example, I loved the look of the starliner -- somewhere between the Falcon and GR-75 transports seen at the evacuation of Hoth. It made no sense juxtaposed with the spy kids vespa-speeders though.

I think part of the problem is casting.  And while I think Temuera Morrison is a fine actor, he just projects very much as being a nice guy.   Now granted, I’ve only seen him as Boba Fett, so maybe someone can point me in the direction of one of his other projects which proves me wrong.  

Disney probably had to cast him because of the part he played in the Attack of the Clones and the fact they’ve used his template in all the Clone Wars animation, but he just isn’t translating very well to bad ass bounty hunter or crime lord.

Of course he may merely be responding to the direction he’s given.  Disney may very well want him to come off as a nice guy since they typically like their protagonists to be safely benign.

20 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Now granted, I’ve only seen him as Boba Fett, so maybe someone can point me in the direction of one of his other projects which proves me wrong.  

He wasn't very nice as Jango Fett.

Archived