The Book of Boba Fett [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

Original Star Wars wasn't for kids. It was a family film, but in those days that wasn't code for 'kids film'. It meant there was supposed to be something for everyone, in the way that a lot of modern Marvel films do. It's just that in between then and now there was a big span of time when nobody really made that kind of film, everything was segmented and targeted and the closest you got was a kids' comedy with a couple of risque references that only the adults would get.

But anyway, while acknowledging that SW isn't necessarily for kids, I don't think any of us want to be this guy.

I don't want to be that guy, and yet would I be interested in a horror-slasher show about Vader killing Jedi and Jedi wannabees mercilessly?  Yes, yes I would Kent.

3 hours ago, Kalibuster said:

The clone wars cartoon was and remains fairly bad writing. It may also be the best of the lot, and both statements can be true, but in general it is pretty lowbrow and Saturday morning cartoon. 

I agree with this for almost the entirety of the show, but not for the last four episodes.

17 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I don't want to be that guy, and yet would I be interested in a horror-slasher show about Vader killing Jedi and Jedi wannabees mercilessly?  Yes, yes I would Kent.

There’s a reason that the most beloved bit of Star Wars post Disney takeover is “Vader in the hallway.”

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

There’s a reason that the most beloved bit of Star Wars post Disney takeover is “Vader in the hallway.”

Followed closely by Luke in the hallway.

40 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Have you seen the Darth Vader comics? They have an R2 with rocket launchers and evil 3PO that loooooves torturing people. 

51 minutes ago, mormont said:

Original Star Wars wasn't for kids. It was a family film, but in those days that wasn't code for 'kids film'. It meant there was supposed to be something for everyone, in the way that a lot of modern Marvel films do. It's just that in between then and now there was a big span of time when nobody really made that kind of film, everything was segmented and targeted and the closest you got was a kids' comedy with a couple of risque references that only the adults would get.

But anyway, while acknowledging that SW isn't necessarily for kids, I don't think any of us want to be this guy.

Neck.

Beard.

-

Actually Lucas was on record as trying to tailor the original film to 10-12 year old boys. Like I said, don't confuse the intent with the result. 

9 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I mean, yes? That was also a big deal with Rian Johnson, IIRC. 

And Rodriguez very specifically said that they used action figures in the fight with Boba Fett on Mandalorian:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/robert-rodriguez-boba-fett-home-movie-action-figures-1234606827/

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I agree with this for almost the entirety of the show, but not for the last four episodes.

I guess, though there's some pretty not great stuff in there too. But yes - occasionally there's some really cool shit.

But, as an example, the previous 4 eps were some incredibly stupid bullshit that had horrible writing and characterization. Which sucked, because they introduced two characters and then brought those two shitty characters back for Bad Batch. 

Same is true for Rebels - there were a couple of really cool things (Obi Wan and Maul! Thrawn!) but most of it was really long-winded, shitty filler. Which...is basically Mandalorian, and so far Boba Fett. Boba Fett at least has fucking diesel wookiees and more boobs.

6 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Same is true for Rebels - there were a couple of really cool things (Obi Wan and Maul! Thrawn!) but most of it was really long-winded, shitty filler. Which...is basically Mandalorian, and so far Boba Fett. Boba Fett at least has fucking diesel wookiees and more boobs.

I thought Rebels was pretty solid family/wholesome fun - of a significantly higher quality than most of Clone Wars.  And what I most appreciated was it wasn't just "cool shit" things you're referring to, which, yeah, is a lot of why the last four eps of Clone Wars are so great (could level a similar qualifier at Rogue One, btw).  One episode that sticks out is the one where Zeb finds his home planet, which isn't really like any standard Star Wars fare.

What is the barometer being used to decide between, "cool shit" and "long winded shitty filler"?

I mean, so much of Clone Wars and Rebs was good, some of it was great, some of it was stellar.  Bit what is being described makes it seem we'd all be better off if it didn't exist...? I mean, that's how I feel about Episodes VII, VIII, IX...all of which make me grateful for CW and Rebels...

6 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Bit what is being described makes it seem we'd all be better off if it didn't exist...? I mean, that's how I feel about Episodes VII, VIII, IX...all of which make me grateful for CW and Rebels...

Obviously Kal and I disagree on relative quality, but to be clear, I definitely still appreciate Clone Wars - if only for introducing Ahsoka who is a great character.  I just think Rebels is clearly better overall.  And so far, I also think the Boba Fett show is of a significantly lower quality than the Mandalorian.  After three episodes there remains a pretty big listlessness for me.

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

What is the barometer being used to decide between, "cool shit" and "long winded shitty filler"? 

For me, it's things like seeing really cool Jedi battles, or interesting expansion of the lore of the world that makes me appreciate things a bit more. For me some examples: Darth Vader fucking everyone up in Rebels. Ahsoka and Maul's interaction and story in the last 4 of Clone Wars. Emperor vs Maul and his brother. Some of the Inquisitor stuff in Rebels. 

Long winded shitty filler: All the stuff with Hondo, anywhere, forever and ever. Most of the Lothal storyline in Rebels. Most of  every single ep in Clone Wars, especially anything with Dooku or Grievous (since we know they're not going to, ya know, lose). Almost every single thing about Mandalore ever.

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I mean, so much of Clone Wars and Rebs was good, some of it was great, some of it was stellar.  Bit what is being described makes it seem we'd all be better off if it didn't exist...? I mean, that's how I feel about Episodes VII, VIII, IX...all of which make me grateful for CW and Rebels...

I don't know if we'd be better off if it didn't exist, but the whole bullshit about the darksaber and Bo-Katan is not something I'm super happy about extending in the Mandalorian and at least so far more info about Boba Fett being a legitimate Mandalorian wasn't something I needed, either. 

Things that I really like are seeing what the Imperial Remnant are up to, some of the Operation Cinder stuff they've referenced, how the New Republic is doing (or not doing), and I'm kinda okay with Ahsoka (though not really cool with Ahsoka barely able to take on a non-Jedi, magic staff or not). 

20 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

For me, it's things like seeing really cool Jedi battles, or interesting expansion of the lore of the world that makes me appreciate things a bit more. For me some examples: Darth Vader fucking everyone up in Rebels. Ahsoka and Maul's interaction and story in the last 4 of Clone Wars. Emperor vs Maul and his brother. Some of the Inquisitor stuff in Rebels. 

Long winded shitty filler: All the stuff with Hondo, anywhere, forever and ever. Most of the Lothal storyline in Rebels. Most of  every single ep in Clone Wars, especially anything with Dooku or Grievous (since we know they're not going to, ya know, lose). Almost every single thing about Mandalore ever.

I don't know if we'd be better off if it didn't exist, but the whole bullshit about the darksaber and Bo-Katan is not something I'm super happy about extending in the Mandalorian and at least so far more info about Boba Fett being a legitimate Mandalorian wasn't something I needed, either. 

Things that I really like are seeing what the Imperial Remnant are up to, some of the Operation Cinder stuff they've  referenced, how the New Republic is doing (or not doing), and I'm kinda okay with Ahsoka (though not really cool with Ahsoka barely able to take on a non-Jedi, magic staff or not). 

Ah.  Okay.  I can absolutely get on board with where you're at on this, as I too prefer when the story advances in a manner consistent with the things that make Star Wars fun...Jedi/Sith history and character...though I think that there are times we need to add more characters from the outside to flesh that stuff out...but doing it in a manner that helped us with some of the other stuff you mention...how is the Rebellion being set up...they touch it, but you are right that there was bit too much time on Lothal...but really, what were they to do?  The way the Rebellion was set up and executed, that it wasn't centralized in its own way, that really hamstrung things.  Actually, between Rebels and Lothal and how things worked in Rogue One, it's not hard to see how stupid a lot of the SW extended story is...but that's rambling, and in essence I do agree with you.  

As to Bo Katan and the Dark Sabre and Mandalore and all of that...yeah.  That's effing Boba Fett's fault.  There really wasn't any reason for his popularity in the 80s to justify all of this now.  

If there seemed to be some sort of overreaching arc for the Mandalorian Show, and now Boba Fett...something that builds, rather than rambles...?  It'd be nice to see.  

Rambles...kinda like this response did...

13 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

As to Bo Katan and the Dark Sabre and Mandalore and all of that...yeah.  That's effing Boba Fett's fault.  There really wasn't any reason for his popularity in the 80s to justify all of this now.  

In a sense in that how Boba Fett looks inspired people to deepen Mandalorian lore in games(such as KOTOR) and the old EU, that getting mostly thrown out by Georgie baby who took the honorable warrior thing into the mandalorians on clone wars.

Boba Fett was made to be a bad guy who looked cool.  Blame others for making him have a shitty back story or front story in this case.

53 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

(since we know they're not going to, ya know, lose). 

I'm not totally sure what you mean here because they did both die horribly. But you don't watch something like Star Wars and wonder if the good guys or the bad guys are going to win in the end. 

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm not totally sure what you mean here because they did both die horribly. But you don't watch something like Star Wars and wonder if the good guys or the bad guys are going to win in the end. 

Characters like Dooku and Grevious, in the Clone Wars, should never have been used in an "front and center" manner.  They should have never been much more than background/pulling the strings leaders.  I get what Kal is saying.  Because we know what's going to happen to them, any menace or weight they bring to a story in a central role can be blunted.  Of course, you're also correct that it's Star Wars and the stakes are determined before the show starts.  But Clone Wars could have been better served by giving Dooku more of a dark presence/puppet master kind of role when he appeared, rather than as a main protagonist fighting the Jedi directly.

It worked differently with Thrawn in Rebels because he was essentially an unknown factor.

Archived