The Book of Boba Fett [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

3 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I know the cops in San Fran in the 60's carried guns, The Panthers carried guns, and the Hells Angels behaved like a pack of wolves on speed 24/7.

Mods were/are a working class street gang associated with violence every bit as much as the Angels and the Panthers. On this side of the pond, they frequently carried weapons (knives, razors). I don't know if American mods carried guns. Fairly sure that any British mod who found themselves in an environment where those were the weapon of choice would have done so without a qualm.

Whatever you think of their style choices, mods were tough.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Mods were/are a working class street gang associated with violence every bit as much as the Angels and the Panthers. On this side of the pond, they frequently carried weapons (knives, razors). I don't know if American mods carried guns. Fairly sure that any British mod who found themselves in an environment where those were the weapon of choice would have done so without a qualm.

Whatever you think of their style choices, mods were tough.

No doubt. but back to my original point; they were out of place.

I'm sure they'll sell tons of action figures.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

No more than pod racing was out of place in the exact same city.

Ah, you see the pod racers evoke things like pre-war Grand Prix cars where rule book was a pamphlet and tracks were super dangerous. Or group B rally racers and things like the Paris Dakar Rally and the Baja 1000. You know, the ones that takes place in the desert

My two cents on the episodes so far. Found the first episode of TBoBF to be fairly innocuous but entertaining none the less. I appreciate that they answered the Sarlacc pit question almost immediately. Being under Disney they probably didn't want to dwell on that digestive struggle - but I thought it was too short and lessened the impact that was needed. However, the escape did lead directly into The Passion of the Christ/Boba Fett for a bit (they could've hired Gibson to direct this episode). The symbolism with the Tusken tribe - with the Child, the Warrior and the Leader mirroring Boba's past, present and possible future helped paint how much of a recovery was needed. Beaten and berated by the Child, barely able to muster a challenge to the Warrior, leaving the Leader content for the Child to shepherd him. At least by the end of the episode he had gained some confidence with the Child.  The lingering thought from this episode is - What would the fight with Star Wars Goro be like with the Mortal Kombat theme playing?

The second episode of TBoBF was quite enjoyable. After bringing in some new characters in the present, including an impressive introduction and stare down from a swole looking Black Krrsantan, we return to the continuing saga of The Passion of Boba Fett. Throw in echoes of Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai and Lawrence of Arabia in this flashback. Boba asserts his adult self, pre-Sarlacc pit, and trains with the Warrior. And lizard-ayahuasca trip aside, he can see in the Leader, a role model for a path beyond just being a feared bounty hunter. The burning question out of this episode - Is the position of lead litter bearer for the Twins a punishment or a reward? Surely they've fitted a repulsor-lift to that thing for some desperately needed anti-grav assistance.  

The third episode of TBoBF was great when viewed through the lens of the end credits art pieces. Gorgeous artwork. Black Krrsantan went down a couple notches in my estimation. A bite of pork shoulder and a small throwing knife is a poor result for a night of assassinating. The thought after this episode is - Is this the first time Trejo and Morrison have been on screen together since they were chasing Harrison Ford?

Looking towards the remaining episodes I expect we'll get one more bacta dream, probably, and then we can focus entirely on the present. So far Fennec has been woefully underused. We need more Fennec kicking ass. And I wish we could have more time in the Cantina with Garsa Fwip. An echo of Casablanca with Fwip as Ric would be a nice angle to explore IMHO. Beals and Wen are only a month apart in age and both look amazing and deserve more screen time, and though I like Morrison I'm glad the bacta sessions are available. 

17 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

No doubt. but back to my original point; they were out of place.

Well, rebellious young adults do tend to choose aesthetics that make them stand out from their society. 

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

No more than pod racing was out of place in the exact same city.

When you watch the show it definitely stands out like a sore thumb.  I heard one reviewer sum up the problem pretty well.  The aesthetic of Tantooine was that in a desert planet everything was going to look washed out a bit because everything was getting sand blasted all the time.  The vespas stood out because they were a little too shiny for the planet’s established aesthetics.  

Personally I thought the pod racers stood out a bit too much as well.  You can make an argument that most of the pod racers came from off planet so they weren’t going to look like the tech that was on Tatooine all the time.  I think my biggest issue with the pod racing was what a big intergalactic event it was.  Up till then I thought that Tatooine was supposed to be a back water planet where nothing ever happened.

But here,  if they had scuffed up the vespas a little, and made the “mods” a little shabbier it would have blended in a bit better.

2 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

Personally I thought the pod racers stood out a bit too much as well.  You can make an argument that most of the pod racers came from off planet so they weren’t going to look like the tech that was on Tatooine all the time.  I think my biggest issue with the pod racing was what a big intergalactic event it was.  Up till then I thought that Tatooine was supposed to be a back water planet where nothing ever happened.

But here,  if they had scuffed up the vespas a little, and made the “mods” a little shabbier it would have blended in a bit better.

No it doesn't. Again, if you are familiar with something like Paris-Dakar or the Baja 1000 or even pre-1950's Grand Prix racing it was a pretty common thing to take super expensive racing machinery out to the middle of nowhere to race. Combine that with a backwater planet controlled by gangsters (they like to gamble; make money off gambling), and there you are.

There are plenty of people in this world who couldn't find the Isle of Man on a map if it wasn't for the TT (also a good analogue for pod racing on Tattoine). If the stakes are there, you could hold a race on the moon and people would show up to compete.

4 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Pee-Wee Herman on the other hand is cool and awesome in every way. Instead of the gang, it should have just been lone Pee-Wee with his bicycle. His super-shiny bicycle.

He's helped out other movie franchises...

15 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

No it doesn't. Again, if you are familiar with something like Paris-Dakar or the Baja 1000 or even pre-1950's Grand Prix racing it was a pretty common thing to take super expensive racing machinery out to the middle of nowhere to race. Combine that with a backwater planet controlled by gangsters (they like to gamble; make money off gambling), and there you are.

There are plenty of people in this world who couldn't find the Isle of Man on a map if it wasn't for the TT (also a good analogue for pod racing on Tattoine). If the stakes are there, you could hold a race on the moon and people would show up to compete.

Yea, I dunno, I think the “sportscasters” took out the seedy underworld feel of it.  

Just now, mormont said:

As middle aged white nerds, I think our opinions of what a gang of cool teenagers in a modern media property should look like is clearly definitive. :p

I know mine is, anyways. The rest of you are just going to have to deal with it. :hat:

Archived