The Book of Boba Fett [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Do you know how fast you were going?

The snozberries taste like snoz berries - now, punch it! /Fires space NO2/Liquid Schwartz.

Also, a "well, don't you look familiar, meow" would have landed there *chef kiss* like lead. Which is how well that scene landed.

44 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

And Grogu’s present is wrapped shaped like his head, adorable.

Din is the Martha Stewart of Mandalorians.

29 minutes ago, dbunting said:

am I the only one who got a Terminator vibe with the droids walking around the rubble?

No.

1 hour ago, Week said:

God, I remember the bloodbath over Anakin as a Mary Sue. Those SJW got violent.

Yup. A born pilot and championship calibre race car driver. Plus honorary masters degrees in several engineering disciplines as well as expertise in robotics and race car fabrication by the time he was 10. All this despite a short lifetime of illiteracy and wiping his ass with sand. 

39 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I like that they showed us a butcher shop, dunno why. During the night of a thousand tears montage, am I the only one who got a Terminator vibe with the droids walking around the rubble? And the baggage check, really?

Cattle exist in the SW universe but no hamburgers? I call BS.

Totally got Terminator vibes. The baggage check was a waste. 

6 hours ago, Week said:

Yippee! Is this how I destroy the central mothership?

You refer to these things in The Phantom Menace  as if the fandom doesn't widely dislike 9-year-old Gary Stu-Anakin and Lucas's decisions about how to write and depict him. They are among the most widely and viciously critiqued aspects of The Phantom Menace, perhaps outstripped only by the hatred of Jar Jar Binks. Both actors suffered real abuse over things out of their control because Lucas made these terrible choices.

You don't hear this stuff about Anakin later on because then Lucas then jumped ahead some years and let you fill in the blanks of extensive training in the Force, lightsaber combat, etc. But in TPM, Lucas made just awful decision after awful decision regarding Anakin.

6 hours ago, Week said:

What, are you stupid? Obi-Wan had the upper ground.

I'm gona take that as a "yes", then.

@Ran

Yea, the fan backlash really messed up Jake Lloyd and Ahmed Best's life. The latter of which almost committed suicide as a result of it. Jake Lloyd's life was messed up by a combination of bullying and harassment from the press, so much so that he developed a number of mental disorders and was even arrested a few times.

I'm acting like there is plenty of bad writing that maybe it best we let things go a bit. Something that you nicely illustrated. Particularly to be thoughtful around subjects with a lot of gendered or, not in this case but others, racist. Sing along with Elsa.

14 hours ago, sifth said:

You're right, the ability to learn. Learning takes something called training, which is something Rey never had in The Force Awakens. Hence why it was poorly written, when she instantly knew how to fight with a weapon she never used before.

While I also wanted to see more of a learning process for Rey and her more out-of-the-way pre-existing skills, like piloting, being explained in a plausible manner, which they totally could have been if she had been shown playing a flight simulator for 10 seconds, there is some weapons-grade ret-con going on here. Obi-Wan handed Luke a lightsaber in New Hope and had him train with a remote, blindfolded, without any worry that a completely untrained guy might cut off his limbs or damage the ship, both of which should have been extremely likely for a normal person. Not to mention all the lighsaber-waving Force-sensitive toddlers in the prequels.

It has always been very clear that there is a vast gulf between how easily a Force-sensitive can use a lightsaber, which is very safely even when they are untrained noobs their first time doing so, and  a badass normal, who'd need extensive training to avoid harming themselves.

14 hours ago, sifth said:

You didn't see Luke defeating Vader in A New Hope. Hey, if you're happy with Rey tap dancing her way to victory, without any training, that's cool, but it's something that always bothered me.

If Vader had been severely wounded in New Hope and explicitely didn't want to kill Luke, who knows? Of course, unlike Rey, Luke had zero experience in melee combat, so  he was at a disadvantage there. Anyway, I would have preferred if it was done differently, or at least if the extent of Kylo's wound was more clearly shown with him bleeding a lot, but you are comparing apples and oranges there.

Honestly, I thought that Luke besting Vader in RoTJ was not believable either, what with his few hours training with Ben and a couple of weeks with Yoda and just half a year after being handled by his father with contemptious ease, so my head-canon about it always was that Vader was at a point where he was absolutely unwilling to kill his son, but Luke had become too good to subdue non-lethally. So, in effect, Vader was holding back during  that whole fight. YMMV.

23 minutes ago, Maia said:

Honestly, I thought that Luke besting Vader in RoTJ was not believable either,

3 years pass between ANH and TESB, a period undocumented by the films, but it seems pretty clear we're to take out of it that he worked on and improved his abilties with the Force and the lightsaber in that time span. (The old EU stuff was more explicit about it, including doing stuff like having him discovering old Jedi lightsaber training drones and holos/texts about the Force.)

48 minutes ago, Ran said:

3 years pass between ANH and TESB, a period undocumented by the films, but it seems pretty clear we're to take out of it that he worked on and improved his abilties with the Force and the lightsaber in that time span.

It didn't look that way in the ice cave in TESB. He was barely advanced from ANH! And Vader was contemptously  toying with him during their whole fight in that film. But after half a year, part of which was spent recuperating and without any teachers, Luke was suddenly superior? Nah, this was only  marginally more believable than Rey's too quick proficiency, but Abrams should have known better than to fail even this pre-existing low bar, particularly with a female character, which he should have known would be scrutinized more and criticized harsher! Kylo's handicaps should have been made much more glaringly obvious and the whole thing should have ended up on a draw.

7 minutes ago, Maia said:

It didn't look that way in the ice cave in TESB. He was barely advanced from ANH! And Vader was contemptously  toying with him during their whole fight in that film. But after half a year, part of which was spent recuperating and without any teachers, Luke was suddenly superior? Nah, this was only  marginally more believable than Rey's too quick proficiency, but Abrams should have known better than to fail even this pre-existing low bar, particularly with a female character, which he should have known would be scrutinized more and criticized harsher! Kylo's handicaps should have been made much more glaringly obvious and the whole thing should have ended up on a draw.

I think the problem with Kylo being hurt is, Abrams still established he was a badass, after getting hurt, by having him completely annihilate Finn in combat shortly before facing Rey. It was still a mistake to have him lose in the first film though, to someone who’s a novice, because it made the guy look like a joke for the rest of the sequel films. I’m a firm believer that in good stories villains should always be on top, until the climax. So if they were planning to keep Ben around as a villain, I think it was a mistake to play things that way.

18 minutes ago, Maia said:

It didn't look that way in the ice cave in TESB.

If I recall correctly, he was recently unconscious, probably concussed, hanging upside down for an unknown period of time, and hypothermic.

I don't know about you, but these would probably be things that would make holding and using the Force quite difficult.

6 minutes ago, sifth said:

I think the problem with Kylo being hurt is, Abrams still established he was a badass, after getting hurt, by having him completely annihilate Finn in combat shortly before facing Rey. It was still a mistake to have him lose in the first film though, to someone who’s a novice, because it made the guy look like a joke for the rest of the sequel films. I’m a firm believer that in good stories villains should always be on top, until the climax. So if they were planning to keep Ben around as a villain, I think it was a mistake to play things that way.

Obviously they weren't really planning much of anything, which was a big part of the problem with that trilogy. But that said I bet they were always planning on Kylo turning good at some point. JJ was probably planning on Snoke being the big bad but then...

7 hours ago, Ran said:

You don't hear this stuff about Anakin later on because then Lucas then jumped ahead some years and let you fill in the blanks of extensive training in the Force, lightsaber combat, etc. But in TPM, Lucas made just awful decision after awful decision regarding Anakin.

Some may say the first, and worst, decision Lucas made was helming the movie personally from the get-go...

Is anyone else getting a bit of a vibe that going forward with The Mandalorian, there could be a splitting of the story...half Din episodes, half Boba episodes...sometimes they'll cross over...

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Is anyone else getting a bit of a vibe that going forward with The Mandalorian, there could be a splitting of the story...half Din episodes, half Boba episodes...sometimes they'll cross over...

God I hope not. Let Boba die at the end of his 'Book' and let it go. Or a Fennec Shand continuation.

Can the relitigating of the myriad alleged Mary Sues, poor writing, etc. move to the Star Wars general thread instead of continuing here?

12 hours ago, dbunting said:

I think the ship building thing went on way to long, should have gone to see Boba Fett, at least for the final scene. Also, that ship doesn't seem to have much cargo space, which I assume is needed for a bounty hunter since some bounties need to be alive. It's like a mid life crisis ship.

Yea, it went on way too long.  My assumption is he’s going to be giving up the bounty hunter life.  My impression during this episode was that he was already sick of it, he just needed the info to find his clan.  

My guess is, Grogu  is going to choose to be a Mandalorian over a Jedi and the two of them are going to start their own clan.  The little bubble behind the cockpit where the droid was supposed to go is going to be Grogu’s little compartment.

I wonder if the destruction of Mandalore as depicted in the episode is accurate. The story is told by the Armorer and Din grew up to believe that Mandalore was turned to a wasteland. But I remember that Bo-Katan mentioned something about Mandalore suggesting it's not quite the desolate world it's made out to be. Season 3 of The Mandalorian will likely cover this. 

I think the armorer kicked Djin out of their clan because she got tired of explaining basic concepts of The Way to a middle aged man.

"You still don't accept everything I say at face value? Then off with you."

ETA: Does anyone else think Mando's timing to help feels off? "Let me go visit Grogu and then I'll come back and help." I mean, the entirety of tM season 3 could theoretically happen between episodes 5 and 6 of BoBF. 

Fun episode in isolation but I'm clueless how it fits into the (non-) narrative of BoBF.

Archived