The Book of Boba Fett [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

5 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Well...Tatooine is a dessert planet that feels like the frontier...why not recycle the tropes...?

Every time you replace "a sandy, dry place" with "a donut with chocolate sprinkles", I giggle so hard I can't actually notice the thought.

6 hours ago, sologdin said:

so, is the hidden antagonist emilia clarke?

That, or maybe Maul's legs also survived Episode I. 

26 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Man, tough crowd round here. It was a cool Star Wars train heist, I’m in. *shrug*

It was fine, it's just that we've seen that sorta thing a lot recently. In Solo and The Mandolorian. There I think it was a convoy on Mandolorian but the same idea. Plus there were basically no stakes, since it was a flashback and all but one of his allies were generic Tuskens. Like I think we all knew where it was going from the moment of the train attack.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

It was fine, it's just that we've seen that sorta thing a lot recently. In Solo and The Mandolorian. There I think it was a convoy on Mandolorian but the same idea. Plus there were basically no stakes, since it was a flashback and all but one of his allies were generic Tuskens. Like I think we all knew where it was going from the moment of the train attack.

I really don't sweat stuff like that.  Yeah, I get that there are no "real stakes", particularly in a flashback.  But if the sequence is executed well.  That it makes sense, for the most part, in how it plays out.  If there are some, "Holy shit!" type moments of excitement...then I don't think it's necessary for there to be hand wringing over the stakes.  Especially in a genre television show.  Ned Stark is the exception, not the rule.  The creators need to show some wow factor, yet make sense.  Do that, and it's all good by me.

Also...at what point DO we see another clone remnant from Kamino?  It's been cannonized that Rex survived through ROTJ...

2 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

How does boba expect to control tatooine with 2 gamorreans and 1 assassin? he's not the new jabba the hutt/bib fortuna

Disintegrations! 

I'm not sure how the whole thing  works. Like why didn't he just bend over and rocket the twins while shand shot the wookie? Leia didn't ask permission. Star Wars has never made sense. 

Edit: he should have at least stunned like the corner littler holder guys. Watching those hutts topple over each other to the ground would have been great. 

13 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Hopefully his Fedaykin show up soon.

I don't think a tribe of 20 something tuskens will be enough

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Disintegrations! 

I'm not sure how the whole thing  works. Like why didn't he just bend over and rocket the twins while shand shot the wookie? Leia didn't ask permission. Star Wars has never made sense. 

Edit: he should have at least stunned like the corner littler holder guys. Watching those hutts topple over each other to the ground would have been great. 

yeah he should've killed them right there. at that time they only had a wookie merc lol 

Why is boba suddenly a good-ish guy now? he was a bounty hunter who also worked for the empire. 

we can explain all of his conduct through derrick bell's essay 'brown v. board of education and the interest convergence dilemma,' wherein he argues that "The interests of blacks in achieving racial equality will be accommodated only when it converges with the interest of whites," noting that segregation had been attacked judicially for over 100 years by the time brown v. board was argued. (op. cit. in critical race theory. new press, 1995). the change underlying that case's disposition was not legal but political insofar as the cold war created a new superseding regularity that required civil rights for african americans as both a matter of international prestige and domestic morale; economic transformation of retrograde segregated areas was also envisioned.  (id.) when these pressures fade, then the interest of the upper class portion of the dominant race group will realign with the lower class portion, which had opposed desegregation most virulently. this applies to fett's interactions with the tuskens in the following particulars.

fett began his career as a petit bourgeois member of an interstellar firm, but was quickly lumpenized when the entity for which he worked was liquidated in the civil war. he tried to rebuild the firm through his youth and eventually developed a reputation as a useful independent contractor to governmental and underworld employers. there's no morality in this pattern of employment; he performed professional services without passion or prejudice, and we know little of his political sympathies other than a reduction of everything to the cold cash nexus, consistent with the imperatives of interstellar capitalism. all of that gets fucked when terrorists nuke both of his main clients in episode VI.  lying in the desert stripped of his property is probably the nadir, picked over and beaten by scavengers and then reduced to slavery by desert aboriginals. 

his interests converge with this particular planet's most backward colonized group, insofar as his economic status resembles theirs, desert aboriginals always already subject to domination by interstellar capitalists. assisting them accordingly assists him; it is rational maximizer self-interest, even while it appears to advance their civil rights. saving a kid from a hexabrachial reptilian bought him out of forced servitude whereas shutting down a predatory conveyance of an interstellar capitalist operation gained him tribal admission.  we should expect him to act in accordance with interest convergence as long as he remains a capitalist, and that seems to be the intention of his assuming the role of mafia boss; that the desert nomads are not parading with him through town is significant.  maybe he'll have a conversion to pre-capitalist morality or post-capitalist politics, though were he a pre-capitalist now we'd expect him to stay in the desert as a neo-tusken eremite. 

11 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

Why is boba suddenly a good-ish guy now? he was a bounty hunter who also worked for the empire. 

This was what the lizard-trip sequence was trying to convey; we saw a large tree (Jango) and a smaller tree (Boba). When Boba attempts to climb the larger tree, he gets tangled in it and has visions of his time in the Sarlaac pit, along with flashbacks of Jango’s death. He sees his face in the armour, similar to how Luke saw himself in Vader’s helmet. The dream tells him; attempting to emulate Jango will lead to Sarlaac bellies and death. You need to find a better way. I’m not sure whether we saw which tree he eventually got the branch from, but I’d guess the smaller tree.

Everything up until that point can be ascribed to survival; he has no choice but to gain the respect of the Tuscans.  Now he knows he needs a new path. 

8 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

he should've killed them right there. at that time they only had a wookie merc lol 

There was a line of dialogue to the effect of “we don’t have permission to kill a Hutt”. Doing so would bring a whole world of heat that Boba isn’t ready for yet. I saw it as a power flex that the Hutt cousins can turn their back on an adversary so brazenly. Leia fled straight after she killed Jabba, and that’s even if the rest of the Hutts can unpick what happened amidst all the carnage (probably concluding that it was Luke).

Not bad so far, but what the second episode, with its Tusken Raider dance routine, has really brought to light is that we need more dance numbers from the peoples of the Star Wars universe.

Bobo missed a trick in not having his Gamorrean guards dance for their lives before he brought them into the fold, but will we perhaps see a dance-off with the Hutt twins next week?

On 1/6/2022 at 4:27 PM, DaveSumm said:

Man, tough crowd round here. It was a cool Star Wars train heist, I’m in. *shrug*

Structurally a bit weird (present day - train robbery - stick building) but I’m digging it. 

That was my conclusion as well last week... and its the same this week.  Its entertaining Star Wars with top notch production values.  I don't need it to be MacBeth.

Archived