Heresy 241 A Winter Rose

Black Crow

18 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Possible explanations?  Is there some magic in the ringwall preventing Ghost from entering?  Othor and Jafr couldn't go through the Wall but could be taken through in their inactive state during the day.  Or was Ghost being willfull?

Some kind of warding would explain why Ghost refused to enter with Jon, but not why he entered later. Hence the suggestion of a connection to the cache - and whoever left it 

2 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Some kind of warding would explain why Ghost refused to enter with Jon, but not why he entered later. Hence the suggestion of a connection to the cache - and whoever left it 

I wouldn't exclude Bran being involved in some way.

27 minutes ago, Black Crow said:

No, Ghost absolutely refused to go in and then ran off. Later, Jon was surprised to find him sitting by a camp fire inside the fort. Then Ghost led him to the cache [outside the fort]

Sounds like Lassie.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:25 PM, Melifeather said:

It doesn't matter when Mance got Dalla pregnant, but I do think its important when he was introduced to magic. I think his encounter with the wood's witch's daughter was a significant event. He learned something that day. And as soon as he defected he began his campaign to unite the wildlings. Both Dalla and Val give off wood's witch or priestess vibes. Mance didn't come up with his idea to rally the wildings on his own. He was inspired.

Something to add about the woods witch

Also below is the thread that @Frey family reunion mentioned if you're interested in

33 minutes ago, Melifeather said:

Thanks for sharing. What are your thoughts about the woods witch's daughter? Do you think she was Dalla?

I think it kind of depends on our earlier conversation.  When did Mance meet up with Dalla and where?  If indeed, it was back from his first trip from Winterfell, then he probably first met her somewhere in Westeros.  If so I don’t think her mother was the wood’s witch.  My guess is he would have met her in the Mountain Clans, which may be where the House Flint connection occurs.

It’s also possible that Val and Dalla are “sisters” like the Night’s Watch members are “brothers”.  In other words, Val and Dalla may be in the some coven.  Perhaps Val is the wood’s witch’s daughter and Mance was the one who brought Val and Dalla together.

1 hour ago, Melifeather said:

Thanks for sharing. What are your thoughts about the woods witch's daughter? Do you think she was Dalla?

No because among other reasons, that story seems to have happened several years ago raising questions as to why they don't already have children. The pregnancy calculations I've seen here are a futile attempt I must say because GRRM is notoriously bad when it comes to numbers: Military and population numbers, currency, travel times, measurements(such as the wall, there was a story about him being shown what 800 feet measured to and he thought he didn't Imagine it would be that high) I always took it that "on his return" was the second trip, the one as a bard and not as a watchman as the first would indicate that Dalla is a Northman, as Mance would be returning to the Wall, whereas the return from the second trip allows her to be the Freefolk woman she is.

25 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

No because among other reasons, that story seems to have happened several years ago raising questions as to why they don't already have children. The pregnancy calculations I've seen here are a futile attempt I must say because GRRM is notoriously bad when it comes to numbers: Military and population numbers, currency, travel times, measurements(such as the wall, there was a story about him being shown what 800 feet measured to and he thought he didn't Imagine it would be that high) I always took it that "on his return" was the second trip, the one as a bard and not as a watchman as the first would indicate that Dalla is a Northman, as Mance would be returning to the Wall, whereas the return from the second trip allows her to be the Freefolk woman she is.

Why would there need to be earlier pregnancies in order to prove a relationship? I guess that would simplify things, but it’s not confirmation. On the other hand, thinking back on the Nights King giving the Other his seed (child), was caught later sacrificing to the Others, and Val dubbing Gilly’s child “Monster”...how do we not know if they’ve had other children before and were sacrificed? Melisandre said shadows created from kings blood are the most powerful. If Melisandre can birth shadowbabies then Dalla can birth icebabies.

2 hours ago, Melifeather said:

Why would there need to be earlier pregnancies in order to prove a relationship? I guess that would simplify things, but it’s not confirmation. On the other hand, thinking back on the Nights King giving the Other his seed (child), was caught later sacrificing to the Others, and Val dubbing Gilly’s child “Monster”...how do we not know if they’ve had other children before and were sacrificed? Melisandre said shadows created from kings blood are the most powerful. If Melisandre can birth shadowbabies then Dalla can birth icebabies.

Is Dalla dying in childbirth mirroring Lyanna? There are some Mance - Rhaegar paralells as well. 

Jon was swapped for Ned's son with Ashara?

25 minutes ago, alienarea said:

Is Dalla dying in childbirth mirroring Lyanna? There are some Mance - Rhaegar paralells as well. 

Jon was swapped for Ned's son with Ashara?

I had put together an inverted parallel comparison for Ned Stark and Sam Tarly when I was exploring the merits of Jon Snow being the product of Stark-incest - aka Starkcest. Here it is again, but I have changed a couple things...

Lord Commander Jon Snow
Former LC Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers

North of the Wall
South in Kings Landing

Mance Raydar - King Beyond the Wall
Rhaegar Targaryen - the presumed heir to Kings Landing

Craster - Monster's true father
Rickard - not the father

Gilly (Craster's daughter)
Wylla (not Rickard's daughter) 

Mance’s son
Rhaegar’s son

Gilly’s son - not a bastard - yet a child of incest
Wylla’s (Ashara) son - not a child of incest, yet he is a bastard

Samwell Tarly - not the father
Ned Stark - is the true father

Sam takes Mance's child to his father's home - safe away from the Wall
Ned takes his own child to his father's home while Rhaegar's child got left in Kings Landing

LC Jon Snow swapped Gilly’s son to protect Mance’s son. 
Former LC Bloodraven did nothing, allowing Wylla’s son to survive, and left Rhaegar’s son at risk. 

On 2/8/2022 at 4:22 PM, Melifeather said:

I had put together an inverted parallel comparison for Ned Stark and Sam Tarly when I was exploring the merits of Jon Snow being the product of Stark-incest - aka Starkcest. Here it is again, but I have changed a couple things...

I still don't get it.  LOL!  You will have to explain this to me the next book comes out.

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

I still don't get it.  LOL!  You will have to explain this to me the next book comes out.

Initially the way I had it set out showed a way Ned and Lyanna were Jon's parents, but if this is a true inversion then the parallels would be opposites of each other. The parallels do exist. There are people that mirror each other, but just like in a mirror the reflection is backwards.

4 hours ago, Melifeather said:

Initially the way I had it set out showed a way Ned and Lyanna were Jon's parents, but if this is a true inversion then the parallels would be opposites of each other. The parallels do exist. There are people that mirror each other, but just like in a mirror the reflection is backwards.

Of course, like with everything else in ASoIaF, you have to apply the Heisenberg uncertainty principle as is suggested by GRRMs odd measurements for time and distances. 

We could explore white walkers and ice shadows in the next installment. We've explored Craster as a source before...and I've suggested wildling sacrificing themselves before...I could describe my thoughts about it for the uninitiated....but we could also explore the idea that Mance and Dalla gave birth to ice babies...although Mance doesn't seem depleted like Stannis. But then again, we're dealing with dualities in our story. Maybe shadow babies deplete humans some how, but ice babies don't?

22 hours ago, Melifeather said:

We could explore white walkers and ice shadows in the next installment. We've explored Craster as a source before...and I've suggested wildling sacrificing themselves before...I could describe my thoughts about it for the uninitiated....but we could also explore the idea that Mance and Dalla gave birth to ice babies...although Mance doesn't seem depleted like Stannis. But then again, we're dealing with dualities in our story. Maybe shadow babies deplete humans some how, but ice babies don't?

Maybe the White Walkers - Starks (genetic?) connection if there is one?

My rough outline is this:

- if a dead Stark isn't beheaded or burned or warded in the crypts he will rise [but how is this connected to the ironborn's what is dead may never die?]
- only male Starks can have children with Other women (Night's King, Craster (?), Mance Rayder (???))

- Winter is coming is not a warning. Without a Stark in Winterfell there's the snowstorm originating from Winterfell, and the unwarded Starks are up to no good

Archived