if you could ask GRRM one question related to asoiaf what would it be?

Falcon2909

How much of the story do you plan out, as opposed to just "letting the characters have lives of their own" and waiting to see what unfolds?

In particular, I'm curious about Archmaester Marwyn.  He doesn't appear on the page until the end of AFFC; and when he does appear, it looks like he could be a real game-changer.  But he's mentioned by three other characters in the earlier books, going all the way back to AGOT. What's the thought ptocess behind that? When Mirri Maz Dur first mentioned him, had you already decided who he was and what he would do?

(I suppose GRRM may have already answered this in some interview or Q&A session. If anyone knows the answers, please enlighten me!)

He's already been asked numerous times about when the next book's coming out or things relevant to future plot points, so I wouldn't bother with those. Instead I'd ask which king or kings Grand Maester Hareth served under and was executed by. I doubt that will ever be elaborated on in canon rather than someone asking him. The risk is that he never had any idea for that tossed off name, so my backup would be to ask for clarification on this.

2 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Well, that's easy. Three Eyed Raven sounds cooler, and those two boneheads always wanted it "cool" and "massive."

Or maybe they asked who it was and he would neither confirm nor deny.  Changes like these usually indicate some kind of departure from the book.  So I guess my question should be: "Did D&D ask about the identity of the 3EC?" And his answer would be: keep reading.  

1) What does the Master of Laws actually do outside of advising the king?

2) Are the Justiciars from the MUSH and other such positions canon?

3) What was the name of Otto Hightower's wife and how many sons did he have?

4) What was the name of Daemon Targaryen's stillborn son and Viserys I's son by Aemma Arryn that died in the cradle?

5) Were there any Vulture Kings after Daeron II?

6) Was the Daemon Blackfyre killed by Maelys the son of Daemon III and what was the name of Daemon I's youngest son?

7) What were the names of the two Kingsguard killed by Lord Rupert Falwell at the Battle of the Great Fork during the Faith Militant Uprising and which king did Grand Maester Hareth betray?

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

Why did D&D change the three eyed crow from the books, to the three eyed raven for the show?

We have "Crows" used for the NW. The average watcher of the abomina... I mean show would probably have thought that there's a NW member with a third eye between his butt cheeks if s/he heard three eyed crow.

Archived