if you could ask GRRM one question related to asoiaf what would it be?

Falcon2909

16 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

he saw a dark-haired woman that worked at Winterfell as their servant, and in the place between dreams and reality he saw the real identity of the Three-Eyed Crow, that it was a woman. It was Shiera

Shiera has silver-gold hair, not black hair.

It's like we're really using two different languages. :rolleyes:

I didn't said (wrote) that the black-haired woman was Shiera. There was two women, though Bran saw them not at the same time, not together. Instead he saw first the one who was the crow's real identity, and then he saw the other woman - dark-haired serving woman from Winterfell. The first one he saw while he was still not fully consciousness. He saw her not with his two eyes, but with his recently (just moments ago) opened "third eye". And what that first woman looked like - her description wasn't given, because Bran woke up before his brain had a time to process what exactly had he seen just now. And then he woke up, and with his two eyes saw the second woman, and even then it took his brain some time to process who is it that he sees in front of him, why does this woman looks familiar to him, and only then he realised that he knows her, that she is a maid from Winterfell, and then he realised that he is home.

He was waking up and seeing those things in three stages. Three. ->

1. In his dream Bran saw a crow with three eyes.

The Three-Eyed Crow is something like Shiera's Seastar's avatar. Not necessary an avatar, just something similar to the concept of an avatar.

Do you know what an avatar is? I'm talking not about the Last Airbender, or James Cameron's movie with blue aliens. I'm talking about this kind of avatar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar

"Avatar (Sanskrit: अवतार, avatāra; pronounced [ɐʋɐtaːrɐ]), is a concept within Hinduism that in Sanskrit literally means "descent". It signifies the material appearance or incarnation of a deity on Earth.[1][2] The relative verb to "alight, to make one's appearance" is sometimes used to refer to any guru or revered human being.[3][4]"

"The term avatar in Hinduism refers to act of various gods taking form to perform a particular task which in most of the times is bringing dharma back." (Dharma is a natural order of things, the balance in Universe).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Morrígan

"The Morrígan or Mórrígan, also known as Morrígu, is a figure from Irish mythology. The name is Mór-Ríoghain in Modern Irish, and it has been translated as "great queen" or "phantom queen".

The Morrígan is mainly associated with war and fate, especially with foretelling doom, death or victory in battle. In this role she often appears as a crow, the badb.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badb

"In Irish mythology, the Badb (Old Irish, pronounced [ˈbaðβ]), or in Modern Irish Badhbh (Irish pronunciation: [ˈbˠəu], Munster Irish[ˈbˠəiw])—also meaning "crow"—is a war goddess who takes the form of a crow, and is thus sometimes known as Badb Catha ("battle crow")."

The Three-Eyed Crow is a "guise" under which Shiera Seastar appears in the astral plain, or rather specifically in the dream-part of it (because when people see prophetic visions, while they are awake, the source of those visions is also in the astral plain, but not in the dream-part of it).

Shiera is able to project her soul/spirit out of her body and into the astral plain, because either she is using for that a glass candle, or she's a "night-walker" (which is probably a person who can separate his/her spirit from the body and to walk in the astral plain, while being awake, like Stephen Strange did in Doctor Strange movie, that scene is below), or both.

His physical body never left the room in which the scene started, it was only his spirit/soul/astral projection that visited all those other places.

And on Planetos there's this (TWOIAF, Asshai-by-the-Shadow):

"The dark city by the Shadow is a city steeped in sorcery. Warlocks, wizards, alchemists, moonsingers, red priests, black alchemists, necromancers, aeromancers, pyromancers, bloodmages, torturers, inquisitors, poisoners, godswives, night-walkers, shapechangers, worshippers of the Black Goat and the Pale Child and the Lion of Night, all find welcome in Asshai-by-the-Shadow, where nothing is forbidden. Here they are free to practice their spells without restraint or censure, conduct their obscene rites, and fornicate with demons if that is their desire."

And this -> ACOK, Dany V: "It is said that the glass candles are burning in the house of Urrathon Night-Walker, that have not burned in a hundred years."

So when Shiera's spirit is in the astral plain, she takes on a three-eyed crow as her guise/look/appearance. She doesn't skinchange into that bird. That bird doesn't exist in the material world, in a physical form. And it doesn't exist in the astral plain separately from Shiera, when Shiera isn't "projecting". It's similar to how people's consciousness is downloaded into the Martix. When someone's consciousness is in the Matrix, then that someone's body is "sleeping", while the mind/soul/spirit/projection is active in the digital plain. Also - what they really look like in the physical world, and what they appear to look like in the digital world, are different. In the digital world they look according to their own concept of who they are. For example, in the first Martix movie, when Neo went back into the digital plain, first time after he was retrieved from the Matrix, while in the material world his head was hairless, in the digital plain he had hair, and was wearing a different clothes from those that were on his body before his mind got "uploaded" into the machine.

So GRRM's concept of what the Three-Eyed Crow actually is, is something like those things from above. Not necessary an avatar, just something similar. It's how Shiera's spirit appears in the astral plain. Who knows why it looks like a crow with three eyes? Maybe because she is a skinchanger, and in the past a crow was one of her vessels. Then the crow died, but part of its soul remained in Shiera's body. Thus sometimes, when Shiera is in the astral plain, or rather in the dream-part of it, her spirit appears in a guise of a crow.

Though in some cases even when she appears to people in dreams, she may look like herself, like a human. So that's why Dany saw her in a dream as Quaithe, and not as a Crow. Or maybe how Shiera appeared in Bran's dreams is different from how she appeared in Dany's dreams, because she was using two differen methods to get in contact with those two people. With Dany she was using a glass candle, and with Bran she was using some other form of astral projecting, or spirit-walking, or something like that.

2. In the place between dreams and reality, in the higher part of the astral plain

(that's if the dream-part of it is in a "lower" astral plain. Because even though everyone are able to see dreams, while sleeping, not everyone is able to see visions, or to have out of body experiences, while being awake. That "higher state" of spiritual enlightenment, could be reached thru meditation. Or some other spiritual mambo-jambo like that. I'm not into those things, so I'm not an expert on this topic. I just know a bit of this and that. So Bran's third eye has opened, and thus he was able with this "eye" to see thru the veil of dreams, and into the higher plain of the astral space),

Bran with his newly-awakened "third eye" saw who the Three-Eyed Crow really was. He saw her real appearance, what she looked like not in dreams, but in a higher realm - the clear spirit, who she really was - a human woman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_eye

"The third eye (also called the mind's eye or inner eye) is a mystical and esoteric concept of a speculative invisible eye, usually depicted as located on the forehead, which provides perception beyond ordinary sight.[1]

The third eye refers to the gate that leads to the inner realms and spaces of higher consciousness. In spirituality, the third eye often symbolizes a state of enlightenment. The third eye is often associated with religious visions, clairvoyance, the ability to observe chakras and auras,[3]precognition, and out-of-body experiences. People who are said to have the capacity to utilize their third eyes are sometimes known as seers. In Hinduism and Buddhism, the third eye is said to be located around the middle of the forehead, slightly above the junction of the eyebrows, representing the enlightenment one achieves through meditation.[4][5] Hindus also place a "tilaka" between the eyebrows as a representation of the third eye,[6] which is also seen on expressions of Shiva.[4] Buddhists regard the third eye as the "eye of consciousness", representing the vantage point from which enlightenment beyond one's physical sight is achieved, and use an urna to the same effect as Hindus.[4]"

Thru his third eye, while still in the astral plain, Bran saw this -> "the grey mists shuddered and swirled around him and ripped away like a veil, and he saw that the crow was really a woman".

This second stage lasted mere seconds, or even less. So Bran's consciousness mind didn't even fully registered his passage from stage one into stage two, and from there into stage three - awake.

3. Afterwards he remembered only stage one - the dream, and stage three - when he woke up and with his physical eyes saw that black-haired serving woman from Winterfell. He forgot what he saw in-between sleeping and waiking up.

So again - he saw in dreams - the Three-Eyed Crow, then in the higher astral plain he saw the real form of the crow, that it was a woman (no description was given for this woman), and then - when already being awake he saw a DIFFERENT woman, the black-haired one from Winterfell. Though there were TWO women, not one. He didn't saw them two at once. Instead he saw first the one, who was the crow's real identity, saw her with his third eye, and then he woke up and saw the other woman - with his physical eyes.

What the first woman looke like wasn't described, because Bran seeing her lasted for a mere moment, and then he forgot seeing her. Though, if he will ever again see Shiera, he may remember that first woman, and he may recognize Shiera as the woman that he saw before, in that place "in-between".

18 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

We don't know too much about what most of those mothers look like.

Yes, we don't. Though, no matter what they looked like, all the children inherited Robert's colors -> "The seed is strong, Jon Arryn had cried on his deathbed, and so it was. All those bastards, all with hair as black as night."

So just because Jojen and Meera look like a typical short Crannogmen, it doesn't necessary mean that a tall and violet-eyed Ashara Dayne can't be their mother. Because if we will use that sort of approach, then Lucerys, Jacaerys and Joffrey Velaryons, who had brown hair and brown eyes, couldn't have been the children of Rhaenyra Targaryen, who had silver-gold hair and Valyrian-colored eyes (the exact color of her eyes isn't know, though with her father being a Targaryen and her mother being half-Targ half-Arryn, she couldn't have had brown eyes).

19 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

It's irrelevant, she didn't needed to use any identity for that trip, because the captain of that ship was one of her agents.

How can you know she was on the ship if you can't point to any person she was travelling as?

Because, count (in a book A Feast for Crows, Sam V)->

"Thrice longships were sighted by the crow’s nest. ... Some of the bodies carried complements of crows, who rose into the air complaining noisily when the swan ship disturbed their grotesquely swollen rafts. ... The charge was one Sam had never seen before: a red eye with a black pupil, beneath a black iron crown supported by two crows."

:lmao:

It does looks ridiculous to assume merely on the word crow's/crows appearing thrice in that chapter, that it could mean that the Three-Eyed Crow/Shiera was then on that ship. Though, those are not the only clues. Look at the context, not only on the words themselves:

1. Crow's nest, 2. crows and a swan ship, 3. that was Euron Greyjoy's personal banner.

1. Crow's nest - in the 7K there's a castle Crow's Nest, which belongs to House Morrigen.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Crow's_Nest

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Morrigen

How is this relevant for Shiera's/3EC's possible presense on that ship? -> I wrote about GRRM's parallels between Shiera and Arthurian legends, Welsh and Irish mythology, here in section "Morgan le Fay, Morrigan the Battle Crow, and the Banshee":

Swan Song part 4/16. Shiera Seastar - a cat, a shadow, and a lying crow

The words "crow's nest" in a reference to a part of a ship, not the castle, in ASOIAF had appeared only in three chapters (twice in AFFC, Arya I, once in Sam V, and once in ADWD, Victarion I, which is 63rd chapter). 

2. Crows and a swan.

The Cinnamon Wind was a swan ship.

I think that Johanna Swann was Larra Rogare's mother.

Johanna - Larra - Aegon IV - Shiera.

So Shiera, who is the 3EC, is partially Swann by blood.

3. And the one about Euron's banner is obvious. He is the Crow's Eye because he is the Three-Eyed Crow's/Shiera's ex-apprentice.

Additionally, aside from those three "crows" in that chapter, if Quaithe/Shiera departed on that ship from Qarth, it explains why the ship didn't went to the Jade Sea, what the captain said about his plans to Dany, and instead went to Braavos and to the 7K. Because Shiera needed to go to the 7K.

Also her presense on that ship explains why the crew offered Sam and maester Aemon to give them a lift across the Narrow Sea on their ship. Because it was Shiera who decided to help them, with maester Aemon being her grand-nephew and all that.

And the fact that prior to the ship's arrival to Oldtown, it was searched twice. Once by the Huntress, on the morning after they saw the Crow's Eye's banner, and once upon arrival to Oldtown. During the first search ->

"As the Cinnamon Wind was creeping past another plundered fishing village, a war galley came sliding from the fog, stroking slowly toward them. Huntress was the name she bore, behind a figurehead of a slender maiden clad in leaves and brandishing a spear. A heartbeat later, two smaller galleys appeared on either side of her, like a pair of matched greyhounds stalking at their master’s heels. ... The captain of the Huntress was a tall man in a smoke-grey cloak with a border of red satin flames. He brought his galley in alongside the Cinnamon Wind, raised his oars, and shouted that he was coming aboard. As his crossbowmen and Kojja Mo’s archers eyed each other across the narrow span of water, he crossed over with half a dozen knights, gave Quhuru Mo a nod, and asked to see his holds. Father and daughter conferred briefly, then agreed. ... The bitterness of the captain’s final words shocked Sam as much as the things he said. If King’s Landing loses Oldtown and the Arbor, the whole realm will fall to pieces, he thought as he watched the Huntress and her sisters moving off."

Seven people boarded the Cinnamon Wind (the captain and 6 knights, not sailors). Sam was distracted, while talking with that guy, and started paying attention only when those other ships were sailing away. So if when those 6 knights were leaving the ship, amongst them was one "excess" person, that would have also went off board and onto the Huntress, Sam wouldn't have noticed it.

So 7 clues in total (mentioning of the crows trice, crow's nest, swan ship, Crow's Eye, the ship didn't went to the Jade Sea, the crew helped Sam and maester Aemon, the ship was searched twice), in that chapter.

Obviously I could be wrong and maybe Quaithe didn't left Qarth on that ship. Though if she is indeed Shiera Seastar and the Three-Eyed Crow, then for how long and for what purpose would she have stayed in Essos, while all the action soon is going to move to the 7K? Also - why the ship didn't went to the Jade Sea, why else was it then at Braavos, if not to transport Shiera there from Qarth and to the 7K?

19 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

How can you know she was on the ship if you can't point to any person she was travelling as?

I skipped thru majority of Sam's previous chapters, and have properly read in AFFC only this one (of Sam's), because when I was flipping pages, I noticed there the mentioning of Euron's banner, I stopped and have read the whole chapter. I think that if I will read all of Sam's chapters from Braavos to that one, then maybe I will figure out into whom Shiera was disguised/shadowglamoured, if she did appeared on the pages in that guise. Though I don't want to. I will properly read the books, without skipping thru the chapters of those characters in whom I am not too interested (such as Sam, Arya, Sansa, Davos, the Lannisters, aside from Tyrion), only when TWOW will be released, and there will be more to read.

20 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

Quaithe was one of the three people the Qartheen chose to greet Dany. Why would they pick someone who just got there recently rather than someone who'd been there awhile?

She didn't got there just recently. That time wasn't the first time, when she visited Qarth. Euron - her ex, has a house in that city. So previously, on her other visits to Qarth, she was with him. Or maybe that house used to be hers. So the Qarteen knew her for years.

At the time of Bran's fall, she was at Asshai. Bran fell in the early 298. Rhaego was born in January of 299. Dany got pregnant in ~April of 298. Shiera departed from Asshai and went to Qarth either after Bran's fall, or after Dany got pregnant. She was staying there for months, before she went to meet Dany at the Red Waste.

20 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

Until the next book :cheers:

It's seeming increasingly unlikely to be resolved, but we could bet on this.

No point. It's either this year, of the Tiger (February 1st 2022 - January 21st 2023), or never.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:39 PM, Megorova said:

And what that first woman looked like - her description wasn't given

Very convenient for your theory.

Do you know what an avatar is?

Yes, Lord British.

It does looks ridiculous to assume merely on the word crow's/crows appearing thrice in that chapter, that it could mean that the Three-Eyed Crow/Shiera was then on that ship

Never let it be said I disagree with EVERYTHING you say, because you're right: that looks ridiculous.

1. Crow's nest - in the 7K there's a castle Crow's Nest, which belongs to House Morrigen.

Crow's nests are standard on ships.

I think that Johanna Swann was Larra Rogare's mother.

Why do you think that?

Because Shiera needed to go to the 7K.

Why does she need to go anywhere if she can do everything remotely via magic?

Seven people boarded the Cinnamon Wind (the captain and 6 knights, not sailors). Sam was distracted, while talking with that guy, and started paying attention only when those other ships were sailing away. So if when those 6 knights were leaving the ship, amongst them was one "excess" person, that would have also went off board and onto the Huntress, Sam wouldn't have noticed it.

Someone actually seeing Shiera would count more for me than all of your "clues" based on things like counting words and depending on the assumption (which I don't share) that she's the 3EC.

Obviously I could be wrong

Very obviously.

why the ship didn't went to the Jade Sea, why else was it then at Braavos, if not to transport Shiera there from Qarth and to the 7K?

I don't think anyone in-universe would think the former must imply the latter. But my own thoughts are Doylist: GRRM thought Dany would be going to Asshai (where both Quaithe & Jorah wanted her to go), but eventually changed his mind and had to scrap that.

She didn't got there just recently. That time wasn't the first time, when she visited Qarth. Euron - her ex, has a house in that city. So previously, on her other visits to Qarth, she was with him. Or maybe that house used to be hers. So the Qarteen knew her for years.

They would pick Euron's ex, who visits occasionally?

At the time of Bran's fall, she was at Asshai

How do you know that?

No point. It's either this year, of the Tiger (February 1st 2022 - January 21st 2023), or never.

It's not February 1st yet (or even January 21 of 2022), so The Year of the Tiger is not this year. And what's so special about the Year of the Tiger?

17 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

Very convenient for your theory.

Yes, Lord British.

Never let it be said I disagree with EVERYTHING you say, because you're right: that looks ridiculous.

Crow's nests are standard on ships.

Why do you think that?

Why does she need to go anywhere if she can do everything remotely via magic?

Someone actually seeing Shiera would count more for me than all of your "clues" based on things like counting words and depending on the assumption (which I don't share) that she's the 3EC.

Very obviously.

I don't think anyone in-universe would think the former must imply the latter. But my own thoughts are Doylist: GRRM thought Dany would be going to Asshai (where both Quaithe & Jorah wanted her to go), but eventually changed his mind and had to scrap that.

They would pick Euron's ex, who visits occasionally?

How do you know that?

It's not February 1st yet (or even January 21 of 2022), so The Year of the Tiger is not this year. And what's so special about the Year of the Tiger?

I had no intentions of hijacking this thread, I just wrote here what I would have asked GRRM, which was "motivations of main factions in ASOIAF - what those characters want?", and amongst them was Shiera Seastar.

If you have questions, then you can ask them in one of my own threads - the links to them are in my signature. I suggest you to read those threads first, because there I already explained the basis for all of my theories, including Shiera/Quaithe/3EC, why I think that Johanna Swann was Larra Rogare's mother, and even why the "tigers" are important in ASOIAF, etc. The threads about Johanna, Larra and Shiera are Parts 2, 3 and 4 in the Swan Song. Read them, and if afterwards there will be still unclear elements, then ask me there, not here. Thank you and :cheers:

In relation to ASOIAF, I would ask which characters/plotlines changed the most since he began writing the final version of the story. I know Martin has often said that he knows where the characters will end up and then he just adds ideas as he gets there. But I would like to know had those initial plans changed at some point. For example, were POV characters like Brienne and Sam planned since the first book? Things like that.

Not related to ASOIAF, as an aspiring writer I would ask if  he ever had moments in his writing career where he hated everything he wrote. And how he dealt with it. 

9 minutes ago, Raven Princling said:

Not related to ASOIAF, as an aspiring writer I would ask if  he ever had moments in his writing career where he hated everything he wrote. And how he dealt with it. 

I think he's said a few times that this happens to him. Or at least that there are times when he feels like "I'm a s**t writer, what the hell happened to my talent?"

49 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I think he's said a few times that this happens to him. Or at least that there are times when he feels like "I'm a s**t writer, what the hell happened to my talent?"

In Dreamsongs, Martin talks about how difficult it was for him to write Meathouse Man, and how he still is unhappy with it, mostly because it is uncomfortable and personal, but also because he couldn't see it as good writing. But he put a lot of work into it, so he sent it out, and had to undergo substantial revisions, and he was still unhappy with it. Yet they finally published it. To this day, Martin doesn't like the story, but he opted to include it in the Dreamsongs collection, if only because its writing and publication took so much effort.

But, despite its disturbing nature, Meathouse Man a solid story and well worth a read, even if GRRM himself hates it.

So I'd say the lesson is, push on. Get other people's perspectives. Maybe go back and forth with other projects if one is giving you trouble? Unless the entire world has been waiting 10+ years for your next book. Then I'd skip the other projects. :)

On 1/7/2022 at 10:15 PM, Ingelheim said:

Have you changed your mind about selling the rights of the books to HBO after seeing what happened with season 8?

That is very obviously not the case, since he's still promoting other HBO shows derived from ASoIaF and expresses regret that other planned shows aren't going to air.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:51 AM, Megorova said:

I had no intentions of hijacking this thread, I just wrote here what I would have asked GRRM, which was "motivations of main factions in ASOIAF - what those characters want?", and amongst them was Shiera Seastar.

If you have questions, then you can ask them in one of my own threads - the links to them are in my signature.

Fair enough.

21 hours ago, SerDerrick said:

Would you be willing to delegate the completion of the novels The Winds of Winter and A Song of Spring to others, as well as give them the plot outline for the characters and the ending too please?

I'm pretty sure he's already answered that (the answer was "no").

16 hours ago, Lucia Targaryen said:

Why didn't you name the months to make the timeline easier to follow

I don't think GRRM is all that clear on his own timeline. He's inconsistent in how many winters have occurred in different characters' lifetimes (the divergence between months & seasons would make them harder to keep in his head), and travel times across large distances are inconsistent as well. If things had gone according to his original plan, more years would have passed in the story as his child characters grew up to be adults.

3 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Have we seen ancestral Ice in the published works?

With all the Dayne/Stark discussions lately, I half was wondering if the connection could be Dawn was ancestral Ice. Just kicking that idea around in my head right now, not sure if that could even hold any water. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

With all the Dayne/Stark discussions lately, I half was wondering if the connection could be Dawn was ancestral Ice. Just kicking that idea around in my head right now, not sure if that could even hold any water. 

Well if the current topic is any indication of the truth the answer is no.  General consensus is Dawn is something very else.   Seems to me that it would be though or at least could be.  But why return it to Starfall for the sole use of the Sword of the Morning if it really is a Stark sword?   I tried very hard to connect the houses and am not getting a lot of support for the idea that a Dayne bastard was in fact the establisher of House Stark.   TBH, it was the best I could do with making any connection at all.    It seems to all come down to what you think Dawn and Ice are really for.    You are always welcome to come with your thoughts fully and half baked and join the discussion, Ser.  

3 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Well if the current topic is any indication of the truth the answer is no.  General consensus is Dawn is something very else.   Seems to me that it would be though or at least could be.  But why return it to Starfall for the sole use of the Sword of the Morning if it really is a Stark sword?   I tried very hard to connect the houses and am not getting a lot of support for the idea that a Dayne bastard was in fact the establisher of House Stark.   TBH, it was the best I could do with making any connection at all.    It seems to all come down to what you think Dawn and Ice are really for.    You are always welcome to come with your thoughts fully and half baked and join the discussion, Ser.  

I think House Stark was House Brandon before, named after their founder just like House Durrandon was named after Durran. They changed their name to dissociate themselves from the NK, who was likely a brother or some other relative, that's why while the story itself survived, all the records of him was destroyed, to prevent further generations from establishing a link. If the said NK was born from a member of house Brandon but was a bastard and also carried another name, say, Jon Snow for example, in time the connection could be forgotten.

In universe, the name Brynden is probably a corruption of Brandon, as we see with so many other names so who knows, perhaps the name Dayne is also a corruption. Brandon becomes Brandayne and later Bran is omitted.

1 minute ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I think House Stark was House Brandon before, named after their founder just like House Durrandon was named after Durran. They changed their name to dissociate themselves from the NK, who was likely a brother or some other relative, that's why while the story itself survived, all the records of him was destroyed, to prevent further generations from establishing a link. If the said NK was born from a member of house Brandon but was a bastard and also carried another name, say, Jon Snow for example, in time the connection could be forgotten.

In universe, the name Brynden is probably a corruption of Brandon, as we see with so many other names so who knows, perhaps the name Dayne is also a corruption. Brandon becomes Brandayne and later Bran is omitted.

Yes, I well recall your interesting take on the mystery of names.  Come to think of it just now and off topic, seems to me long ago someone pointed out that the word Dawn could be a corruption of the name Dayne.   Do as you will with it.  

Just now, Curled Finger said:

Yes, I well recall your interesting take on the mystery of names.  Come to think of it just now and off topic, seems to me long ago someone pointed out that the word Dawn could be a corruption of the name Dayne.   Do as you will with it.  

In universe it probably could be. Wiki says Dawn is possibly a reference to a comic book character named Dane Whitman, who wielded a meteroite sword. The word "Dane" has it's root in a word meaning to flow so it fits th location of their seat as well. Reconstruction:Proto-Germanic/daniz - Wiktionary

If it's a situation where I can get an answer to a mystery with a Yes or No question I guess I would ask if the Children of the Forest taught the Valyrians magic and how to tame dragons.
If it's for a AMA I would like to know if he had thought on how Planetos would look like 3000 years after the events of the books, if he likes to play with that idea in his free time.

Archived