if you could ask GRRM one question related to asoiaf what would it be?

Falcon2909

11 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Tyrion and Cersei are both alcoholics, but Jaime isn’t

Tyrion and Cersei are "unemployed", while Jaime has an "occupation".

He's a Kingsguard, he has a job and daily duties. He may be the Queen's brother, and the King's brother-in-law, and the next King's uncle, though still he has things to do, all day long, which is - to protect the King. And he has co-workers, and a Boss, to whom he is subordinated (Lord Commander of KG). So he has obligations. And he doesn't have as much free time, as his unemployed siblings. Thus he drinks less. Because he can't be drunk while working. At least that was how it was, while he was just a regular KG, and not LC of KG. Even in the real world majority of alcoholics are unemployed people. No obligations + a lot of free time + they are bored = they drink. When Tyrion was the Hand, and he had useful things to do, he was drinking less.

Also - Jaime pretty early got separated from Tywin (when he started at age 13 squiring for Lord Crackehall, away from Casterly Rock), while Cersei and Tyrion were still under Tywin's control, and Tywin was a despot. So Jaime's siblings have deeper "daddy-issues" than Jaime. They are more mentally damaged than he is, and thus they have more reasons to get drunk.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

Tyrion and Cersei are "unemployed", while Jaime has an "occupation".

He's a Kingsguard, he has a job and daily duties. He may be the Queen's brother, and the King's brother-in-law, and the next King's uncle, though still he has things to do, all day long, which is - to protect the King. And he has co-workers, and a Boss, to whom he is subordinated (Lord Commander of KG). So he has obligations. And he doesn't have as much free time, as his unemployed siblings. Thus he drinks less. Because he can't be drunk while working. At least that was how it was, while he was just a regular KG, and not LC of KG. Even in the real world majority of alcoholics are unemployed people. No obligations + a lot of free time + they are bored = they drink. When Tyrion was the Hand, and he had useful things to do, he was drinking less.

Also - Jaime pretty early got separated from Tywin (when he started at age 13 squiring for Lord Crackehall, away from Casterly Rock), while Cersei and Tyrion were still under Tywin's control, and Tywin was a despot. So Jaime's siblings have deeper "daddy-issues" than Jaime. They are more mentally damaged than he is, and thus they have more reasons to get drunk.

Cersei definitely has a job, even if she’s bad at it. Being the Queen Regent is a full-time gig. And Tyrion was still an alcoholic as Hand. Jaime may have escaped Tywin, but instead he got Aerys, who was much worse.

14 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Tyrion also drinks himself into a stupor because he has horrible nightmares.

Jaime does too—about Aerys, Rhaegar, his family, etc.

I don’t think he’s suffered less than his siblings. But that Jaime doesn’t have the same coping mechanism as them definitely says something about his psychology.

18 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Cersei definitely has a job, even if she’s bad at it. Being the Queen Regent is a full-time gig. And Tyrion was still an alcoholic as Hand. Jaime may have escaped Tywin, but instead he got Aerys, who was much worse.

Jaime does too—about Aerys, Rhaegar, his family, etc.

I don’t think he’s suffered less than his siblings. But that Jaime doesn’t have the same coping mechanism as them definitely says something about his psychology.

i think Jaimie's sufferings are different . he went to Crakhall in a very young age and later he joined kingsgaurd. he wasn't exposed to Tywin's constant influence the way his siblings were. so , it wasn't Tywin who caused his depression and melancholy. it was his course of life which he took better than his siblings. Cersei and Tyrion are literally mentally hurt by Tywin. Cersei for being just a woman which she regards as useless and disgusting and Tyrion due to being a dwarf and a disappointment to his father. 

14 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’d ask him a question I almost never see talked about among fans: Tyrion and Cersei are both alcoholics, but Jaime isn’t, despite all his demons. Was this intentional, and if so, what does it signify? 

I think it signifies bloodletting of some kind. While the FM are discussing their future kills, Arya and another novice stand by through the entire meeting, ready to serve wine or water the instant they want it. Sandor says killing is the sweetest thing, and is usually drunk. King Robert is by nature a brilliant warrior, and he's usually drunk. Dontos is a hazy representation of Florian the Fool, the greatest knight. Tyrion is surprisingly successful as a warrior and war leader, and gets high on the experience.  I'm guessing all these have a taste for red wine. Cersei has a more varied palate, so trickier.

So it is puzzling we don't see Jaime drinking - not compatible with the honourable Kingsguard I suppose.

ETA

Also Lady Forlorn: "My lady has a thirst," Ser Lyn insisted. "Whenever she comes out to dance, she likes a drop of red."

45 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

i think Jaimie's sufferings are different . he went to Crakhall in a very young age and later he joined kingsgaurd. he wasn't exposed to Tywin's constant influence the way his siblings were. so , it wasn't Tywin who caused his depression and melancholy. it was his course of life which he took better than his siblings. Cersei and Tyrion are literally mentally hurt by Tywin. Cersei for being just a woman which she regards as useless and disgusting and Tyrion due to being a dwarf and a disappointment to his father. 

I’m going to have to disagree here. Tywin was a terrible father, but the years Jaime spent with Aerys, watching people get burned alive and tormented, were definitely traumatic. 

But that’s not really the point here. What I’m curious about is why Jaime doesn’t cope in the same way as his siblings. It sets him apart from them, much like how his disinterest in power/politics does.

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’m going to have to disagree here. Tywin was a terrible father, but the years Jaime spent with Aerys, watching people get burned alive and tormented, were definitely traumatic. 

oh, I didn't mean to disagree with you on that regard! Jaimie definitely had a huge share of trauma in Westeros. 

of course every person reacts differently whilst facing difficulties ( or horrors!) . your question is somewhat like asking "why people in the same family have different responses to stressful situations?".. truth is there's no clear answer.. but some part of that might come from a person's upbringing (although not necessarily). now, Tyrion and Cersei were under care of Tywin all their lives with no other parental figure. Jaimie ,on the other hand, was sent off to be a page and squire in a very early age in which time he probably had other parental figures.. maybe Tywin didn't have enough time to abuse Jaimie like Cersei and Tyrion... the fact that Jaimie appeared to be a lot of the things Tywin wanted in his offspring surely helped in decrease of gaslight amount! so, later in life , Cersei and Tyrion became self-hating* alcoholics in response to their problems; while Jaimie took the path of fucking his sister and mocking everyone else! as for politics and power hunger , I suppose it completely goes back to all the knights around Jaimie who showed him the way of pursuing different set of values and ambitions. 

* yeah I know Cersei's a narcissist but she also despises her womanhood which I assume is under the category of self-hatred.

15 hours ago, EggBlue said:

yeah I know Cersei's a narcissist but she also despises her womanhood which I assume is under the category of self-hatred.

Narcissism is an exaggerated sense of self-worth to cover up and compensate for deep insecurities and self-loathing. So your intuition is correct. We often take the stuff narcissists say about themselves at face value, but it's mostly bullshit!

22 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

While Jaime does have very different coping mechanisms than Cersei and Tyrion (probably due to the fact that they spent more time underneath Tywin's thumb than Jaime did), I think the point that @Megorova was trying to make is that being a regular member of the Kingsguard means that he had several bosses that he had to answer (the LC of the Kingsguard, the King, the Hand, the Queen, etc.)

Cersei as Queen Regent in A Feast for Crows has no boss. She is the head honcho. And Tyrion as Hand, even though the Queen Regent was his boss, basically was his own boss because he ran circles around his boss.

Your question is a brilliant question to ask though.

Archived