Jump to content

US Politics: A Tale of two Joes.


A Horse Named Stranger
 Share

Recommended Posts

“Fixing the Senate” in the sense of ending states getting equal representation is never going to happen. Good luck to us in a couple of decades when half the country lives in fewer than 10 states.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

“Fixing the Senate” in the sense of ending states getting equal representation is never going to happen. Good luck to us in a couple of decades when half the country lives in fewer than 10 states.  

Ah...but how does it effect those things when it's half the country living in the central plains states since the coastal ones are going under water soon...?  

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/doomsday-glacier-thwaites-antarctica-climate-crisis-1273841/

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The senate would've to vote on it, wouldn't it?

Yes.

Speaking of senatorial gridlock, some good news on the minimum wage:

Quote

A record number of states and cities will increase their minimum wage rates in 2022, with many exceeding $15, according to a new report.

Driving the news: The National Employment Law Project found that 25 states and 56 municipalities will raise their minimum wages by the end of 2022. In many areas, the wage floor will meet or exceed $15 per hour.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well then, good luck to get Joe Manchin on board, Mr President. Unless you have a voodoo spell Joe Biden doesn't have.

I don't know why you think I'm suggesting Manchin would be on board when he won't even let the Dems pass any of their policy agenda.  Not to mention, ya know, he already said he prefers a constitutional amendment for DC statehood back in May - which effectively means he opposes it.  Hell even if he supported it he'd still surely oppose a filibuster carve out for it which would be necessary anytime in the foreseeable future.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The raise in wages won't begin to match the raise in health insurance premiums and everything else medical from getting a bone set to having a baby.

Geez just take the good news, it's the holidays!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Can we have a time machine to make sure Susan Collins does not win re-election.

That is the root of this entire mess right now.

You'd probably need a 52nd Senator to get DC statehood anyway as I'm fairly certain Sinema would oppose a filibuster carveout for it as well.  So..blame Cal Cunningham's libido too I suppose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

 

Geez just take the good news, it's the holidays!

This is why the working class etc.  can never get ahead. Always too little too late, while Pelosi buys huge tranches of Big Stock -- just today -- and shamelessly pronounces there is nothing wrong with legislators doing this stuff -- yet the rest of us keep getting more and more poor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

This is why the working class etc.  can never get ahead. Always too little too late, while Pelosi buys huge tranches of Big Stock -- just today -- and shamelessly pronounces there is nothing wrong with legislators doing this stuff -- yet the rest of us keep getting more and more poor.

You're a downer.  :P

Anyway, I don't think these minimum wage increases are "too late."  Insufficient perhaps, but saying making progress is too late doesn't make much sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, DMC said:

You'd probably need a 52nd Senator to get DC statehood anyway as I'm fairly certain Sinema would oppose a filibuster carveout for it as well.  So..blame Cal Cunningham's libido too I suppose.

Maybe, but Sinema can be pressurized, and with a 51 majority we could basically write off Manchin's antics as posturing for the folks in WV and move on with the reconcilliation bill passed.

And Maine was arguably one of the easier pick ups in 2020.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Maybe, but Sinema can be pressurized, and with a 51 majority we could basically write off Manchin's antics as posturing for the folks in WV and move on with the reconcilliation bill passed.

And Maine was arguably one of the easier pick ups in 2020.

Yet… Collins won.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Maybe, but Sinema can be pressurized, and with a 51 majority we could basically write off Manchin's antics as posturing for the folks in WV and move on with the reconcilliation bill passed.

And Maine was arguably one of the easier pick ups in 2020.

Oh sure a 51st Senator would definitely mean much greater success irt the reconciliation bill, I was referring specifically to DC statehood - and, well, I suppose anything that would require a filibuster carveout.

As for Maine being one of the easier pickups, on its face it seems to be that way but the results don't agree.  North Carolina was the third closest Senate race with a margin of 1.75%.  Maine was the ninth closest at an 8.59% margin.  Joni Ernst's seat in Iowa was two percent closer and Cornyn's reelection in Texas was only one percent larger.

Edited by DMC
I mistakenly conflated "Senate races" with Senate racism. Classic Freudian slip.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yet… Collins won.

True, but I also think Gideon ran a terrible campaign of "I'm not Collins/Collins has changed" as opposed to a campaign of what they could bring to Maine. Sometimes running entirely on your opposition's weaknesses can work (Trump, I suppose), but this usually seems like a bad tactic. It reminds me of when football defenses play prevent in the fourth quarter and let the other team carve them to pieces. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

Oh sure a 51st Senator would definitely mean much greater success irt the reconciliation bill, I was referring specifically to DC statehood - and, well, I suppose anything that would require a filibuster carveout.

As for Maine being one of the easier pickups, on its face it seems to be that way but the results don't agree.  North Carolina was the third closest Senate race with a margin of 1.75%.  Maine was the ninth closest at an 8.59% margin.  Joni Ernst's seat in Iowa was two percent closer and Cornyn's reelection in Texas was only one percent larger.

Yeah, but I still consider Maine to be bluer than NC. Gideon had a big war chest after the Kavanaugh confirmation, with an unpopular POTUS also on the ballot. So Maine was there for the taking. How Gideon managed to lose this race in a state in which Biden received 70.000 more votes than the former guy, that is still beyond me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...