US Politics: A Tale of two Joes.

A Horse Named Stranger

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but I still consider Maine to be bluer than NC.

Sure but you have to consider the candidates when you're comparing individual races.  It's not particularly surprising that Collins was able to appeal to a wider constituency - even in a significantly bluer state - than Thom Tillis.

18 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but I still consider Maine to be bluer than NC. Gideon had a big war chest after the Kavanaugh confirmation, with an unpopular POTUS also on the ballot. So Maine was there for the taking. How Gideon managed to lose this race in a state in which Biden received 70.000 more votes than the former guy, that is still beyond me.

Collins, no matter how much you may dislike her, is a long way from Trump.

31 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes, but it was a very unfavorable cycle for Republicans. That was the point. In a less faovrable cycle for Democrats, there wouldn't be two Senators from Georgia. Warnock had a super weak incumbent to unseat, Ossoff less so. Was Perdue an easier target than Collins in your opinion?

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ah...but how does it effect those things when it's half the country living in the central plains states since the coastal ones are going under water soon...?  

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/doomsday-glacier-thwaites-antarctica-climate-crisis-1273841/

Saw that article the other day, funnily from an Adam McKay tweet. Time to start looking for the Arizona Bay.

21 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Was Perdue an easier target than Collins in your opinion?

No but then Perdue won the first round by 1.8%. 

As for it being a "very" unfavorable cycle for Republicans, that wasn't really the case when it comes to congressional incumbents (including Senators).  Voting against Trump but then ticket-splitting was a very real mitigating issue on how favorable a cycle it was for the Dems down-ballot.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

She's still NO GOOD at all, and inimical, i.e. evil and toxic, ruining any attempt to make things better.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, but it was a very unfavorable cycle for Republicans. That was the point. In a less faovrable cycle for Democrats, there wouldn't be two Senators from Georgia. Warnock had a super weak incumbent to unseat, Ossoff less so. Was Perdue an easier target than Collins in your opinion?

No.  But Lin “I’m Jesus” Woods and Sydney “I love conspiracies” Powell calling for a boycott of the runoff helped Ossoff… a lot.

This is Speaker Pelosi at her best, the orchestration and management of pageantry that has the side benefit of making your enemies look really, really awful.

And she does the most perfect "straight face" when she's in this mode.

Pelosi announces plans to mark January 6 anniversary at US Capitol

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/30/politics/pelosi-january-6-one-year-plans/index.html

The insurrection, which began as members of Congress worked to certify the results of the 2020 presidential election, commanded the nation's attention as violent scenes of rioters attacking officers and destroying parts of the Capitol were broadcast live across the country. The ensuing chaos led to the deaths of multiple people the day of the attack or shortly thereafter, while several officers who responded to the Capitol during the attack later died by suicide.

It seems that Boulder, Colorado, is in the process of burning to the ground. Mandatory evacuations in the high four digit numbers, hundreds of houses destroyed. (Yet...didn't this area get a massive amount of snow and rain mere days ago?) Seems like 2021 is trying to go out with the same flair and class as 2020...

'Life threatening' Colorado wildfires trigger evacuations in Boulder area (msn.com)

---

Multiple wildfires fueled by strong winds have triggered evacuation orders Thursday in Boulder County, Colorado.

The National Weather Service for Denver and Boulder called the situation "life threatening" and urged residents of Superior and Louisville, cities about 8 miles southeast of Boulder, to "LEAVE NOW." Officials issued evacuation orders for both communities by Thursday afternoon.

The weather service said the fires were “becoming a very high impact wind event for our area” and urged people to “take it seriously and abide by any evacuation orders from local authorities.”

NBC affiliate KUSA of Denver reported that the strong winds brought down power lines which sparked several grass fires in the area. The sheriff's office said in a tweet that it has received multiple reports of downed power lines and transformers blowing.

Pew did a poll on recent US presidents. Perhaps surprisingly, Obama came in first. Perhaps depressingly. Trump came in third.

Maddow Blog | Americans point to the best president of the last 40 years in new poll (msn.com)

---

It appears public attitudes are largely in line with scholars' conclusions. The Pew Research Center published an interesting report today on which president from the last 40 years Americans believe did the best. Obama came out on top:

1. Barack Obama: 35 percent
  2. Ronald Reagan: 23 percent
  3. Donald Trump: 17 percent
  4. Bill Clinton: 12 percent
  5. George W. Bush: 4 percent
  6. George H.W. Bush: 3 percent
  7. Joe Biden: 3 percent

6 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Perhaps surprisingly, Obama came in first. Perhaps depressingly. Trump came in third.

Frankly I'm pleasantly surprised Reagan still edged out Trump among Republicans (42 to 37).  It's not surprising at all that Obama trounced Clinton among Dems.

On 12/30/2021 at 3:42 PM, Wilbur said:

It is nice to see the Arizona Republic recognize the Maricopa County Supervisors as the Arizonans of the Year.  Not every Republican is a grifting, no-nothing lunatic eager to slobber on Trump.

Arizonans of the Year risked destruction to buck the election audit (azcentral.com)

True. You don't have to be a conservative and be anti-democracy. 

Right wing outlets are loving Hillary's newest statements about progressives: Clinton: 'It is a time for some careful thinking about what wins elections' | TheHill

At some point, the progressives ought to get a shot at winning before we dub them a losing a coalition. Some win, some lose, but I don't see any evidence they're worse than the status quo of the dem party. It's good to have Hillary back. 

2 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

Clinton: 'It is a time for some careful thinking about what wins elections' | TheHill

The evidence is she knows eff all about winning elections, yes?

1 hour ago, DMC said:

This has nothing to do with any progressive vs. establishment conflict, but I strongly disagree.

I should've put the /s after that comment.

52 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The evidence is she knows eff all about winning elections, yes?

That's what gets me about this. The right-wing writers are having a blast with these comments, and it seems like she has no clue about why she lost. She blames it on Bernie still. Even if she were right that Bernie hurt the party (I think more realistically, Bernie tapped into something already brewing within the party), I feel like a good leader is reflective and looks at their own issues. Those are the only things you can fix. You can't change the progressive movement, but you can change mistakes you made. She seems unwilling to do this.

Looks like 2022 starts off with scattered good news for lots of folks: minimum wage hikes in twenty or so states, some because of scheduled increases, others because of ballot measures. Interestingly, there do not appear to be any minimum wage hikes in the 'old south' for some bizarre reason.

There is also a federal ban on most 'surprise' medical bills from out of network providers. Wonder how long it'll be before it's sabotaged?

Mixed news om the alcohol and cannabis front (kind of a 'meh' thing for me - might be some benefits, does put people to work and bring in some tax revenue, but...)

Few odd state quirks on the environment and history in public education.

Anyhow -

Laws that take effect in 2022: From minimum wage hikes to a ban on most surprise medical bills (msn.com)

Archived