US Politics: A Tale of two Joes.

A Horse Named Stranger

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

In general I think you're right, but with these specific types I think you have to be willing to use their own language to undercut them and really bruise their inflated egos. 

Think back to the clowns who occupied the national park a few years back and asked supporters to send supplies. People of the liberal persuasion then sent them lots of pink dildos as it was going to be a long winter for those manly men. That is the thinking needed here.

30 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No discussion of President Biden calling out the former President and his incitement and inaction a year ago today?

It’s nice that he came out and said it bluntly, but it won’t change anything.

56 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I actually love the fact that President Biden called the former President a loser and that he never mention him by name.  

Plausible deniability.

18 hours ago, Lermo T.I. Krrrammpus said:

I'm not sure why the collective insecurity of the right requires mocking someone's "mantits".  That's the kind of gendered insult I'd expect from them.  If you want to get down in the mud there don't let me stop you.  I just think it's counterproductive and is insulting to a bunch of people I'd suspect you'd prefer not to insult. 

Like me! But I've learned to live with it.

Remember that Glenn Beck apology/rehabilitation tour?

... somehow, I don't think that he ever really changed. Or maybe he did -- for the worse.

Biden's speech was forceful and well-written, but then it was really easy to write.  I think the most notable thing is Liz Cheney - along with Papa Vader - was the only Republican that even bothered to show up.  Also surprised to see Rove's WSJ op-ed denouncing his party.  There's also this:

Former Trump White House press secretary STEPHANIE GRISHAM told CNN today that “next week,” a group of former Trump staffers will team up against their former boss: “We’re going to talk about how we can formally do some things to try and stop him and also, the extremism, that that kind of violence, rhetoric that has been talked about and continues to divide our country.”

— Who else is part of that team? Meridith McGraw and Daniel Lippman have some details: “While Grisham did not name members of the group, POLITICO can confirm former Department of Homeland Security chief of staff MILES TAYLOR, who was revealed to be the author of ‘Anonymous,’ former national security official OLIVIA TROYE, and Trump’s one time short-lived communications director, ANTHONY SCARAMUCCI, are involved. None offered additional details on the group but POLITICO confirmed an invitation was sent out to other former officials to participate as well. Grisham said next week’s meeting will be both in person and via Zoom.”

Mooch to the rescue!!!

18 minutes ago, Week said:

Remember that Glenn Beck apology/rehabilitation tour?

... somehow, I don't think that he ever really changed. Or maybe he did -- for the worse.

Altho, this goes a bit off topic, Schmeling really wasn't some comitted Nazi. He refused to part ways with either his manager Joe Jacobs or his Czech wife. Yes, Nazis used his victory over Joe Louis for their own propaganda (superiority of the white men and that nonsense). However, after Schmeling lost re-match he fell quite quickly out of favor and had to serve in the army during the war. Not quite the VIP treatment. Post war he made fortune by filling up coca cola in/for the German market. Louis, as a black guy in the US, was less fortunate later in life, so IIRC Schmeling and him were actually friends and he provided some financial support for Louis and paid for his funeral.

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

Mooch to the rescue!!!

I mean, good, fine. Do that. 

I'm allowed to be supremely unimpressed that it took so long to decide to start to do something, right? And supremely unpersuaded that this will result in anything actionable, right?

1 minute ago, Gertrude said:

I mean, good, fine. Do that. 

I'm allowed to be supremely unimpressed that it took so long to decide to start to do something, right? And supremely unpersuaded that this will result in anything actionable, right?

It was firmly tongue-in-cheek.  Most of the Trump staffers that continued peddling his bullshit until the insurrection can fuck right off.  Although, I guess if you want to be fair to Mooch (again, I don't care), I believe he got off the train well prior to that.

No, no - I get the tongue in cheekness of it. I just can't. The fact that they think this is some big step forward or that they are doing something good at this very, very late date is so laughable and how can they even say this with a straight face? Fuck every single one of them, and also please do something if you can?

As you said, Mooch was off the train, but he was kicked off. Troye got off during the pandemic and at least was speaking out against Trump well before the election. The Anonymous guy is the one that pisses me off the most. Fuck him right in the ear.

Cyber Ninjas!  Remember them?  The hot Saturday morning cartoon of 1985?  No, I mean the faux election audit firm created to establish The Big Lie in Arizona?

Well, Arizona Judge John Hannah (R) remembers them, even if Pepperidge Farms doesn't.  The Maricopa County Superior Court justice has provided them with a $50,000 per day contempt of court sanction until they turn over the records of their "audit" to the major local newspaper, the Arizona Republic(an).

And just for good measure, he is threatening to pierce the corporate veil and hold the former CEO of Cyber Ninjas personally liable.  Judge Hannah "...said he wanted to "put Cyber Ninjas on notice" and if the company still doesn't comply, he would issue orders directly against the individuals responsible for providing the records."  He has already refused the request of the Cyber Ninja attorney, John Wilenchik, to withdraw from the case. 

The former CEO of Cyber Ninjas, Doug Logan, is claiming that all of the Cyber Ninja employees have let go and that he himself has resigned, but Judge John Hannah observes that this may be a  horse$hit excuse to avoid revealing that A.) Cyber Ninjas had no real plan and didn't know what they were doing, with the exception of B.) providing support for the Big Lie.

Local Maricopa County Republicans, who were attacked by Trump and Trump-supporting Republicans in the Arizona State Senate for executing and then defending a fair election in the county, have pointed out, "I told you so".

Ariz. judge finds Cyber Ninjas in contempt, orders $50K daily penalty (azcentral.com)

Arizona State Senate President Karen Fann (R) released an official statement in response that was a non sequitur attacking Maricopa County Republicans once again, and I am stupider as a result of having read it, so I won't link it here.

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

No, no - I get the tongue in cheekness of it. I just can't. The fact that they think this is some big step forward or that they are doing something good at this very, very late date is so laughable and how can they even say this with a straight face? Fuck every single one of them, and also please do something if you can?

As you said, Mooch was off the train, but he was kicked off. Troye got off during the pandemic and at least was speaking out against Trump well before the election. The Anonymous guy is the one that pisses me off the most. Fuck him right in the ear.

Miles Taylor? Well, he was part of that Lincoln project RVAT thing before the election, IIRC. So he got off the train, too. 

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Do you think those nazi admiring clowns KNOW these things?

Well, there are a few Schmeling stories. He apparently hid some Jewish kids in his apparrtment during the progroms and helped some Austrian boxer (forgot his name) avoid an arrest over some racial shit. Schmeling has always kept a certain distance to the Nazi-regime, he was actually one of the few Germans who could say so post 1945 without their proverbial pants catching fire. Him paying for Louis funeral is also more or less a well known thing. So it kinda saddens me to see old Max 17 years after his death being linked to Glenn Beck. He deserves better imo.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

I think Glen Beck is just trolling with the pic and doesn't know any of the nuances of Schmeling's story.  Thus I'm reluctant to talk about it, since I don't like bl encourages trolling.

So the New York Times bought The Athletic for $550 million buckaroos. If any of you are unfamiliar, The Athletic is a pretty new website with a subscription based, no ads sports journalism site, and happens to be one of my absolute favorite corners of the internet. Talented beat writers for most every American pro franchise, some heavy hitters in the national sports journalism world, etc. Four years ago the founders of The Athletic bragged that their goal was to bankrupt all traditional newspapers, and I've been a very happy subscriber for years. They're great. Alas their subscription only service (I let mine expire and they begged me back for a whopping  $12.99 for this year) lost $55 million in revenue last year, so everyone is assuming the NYT is going to gut or assimilate them into whatever their plan is and basically ruin everything. I expected a mild rumbling of discontent regarding the sale.

Boy oh boy. Check out the Comments on The Athletic's brief press release post. There have to be a couple thousand really angry men furiously informing the world of their upcoming cancellation. I am sure the site was braced for a negative response, but that has to be the largest amount of responses to an internet article I've ever seen in so little time. The NYT will very likely ruin my cherished Athletic because of money, not their lib'ral agenda.

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I think Glen Beck is just trolling with the pic and doesn't know any of the nuances of Schmeling's story.  Thus I'm reluctant to talk about it, since I don't like bl encourages trolling.

Trolling would imply he’s not serious. He’s serious in conflating nazism as being perfectly American.

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

Eh. It’s a symbol for their ideas: white men beating non-white people.

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Cyber Ninjas!  Remember them?  The hot Saturday morning cartoon of 1985?  No, I mean the faux election audit firm created to establish The Big Lie in Arizona?

Well, Arizona Judge John Hannah (R) remembers them, even if Pepperidge Farms doesn't.  The Maricopa County Superior Court justice has provided them with a $50,000 per day contempt of court sanction until they turn over the records of their "audit" to the major local newspaper, the Arizona Republic(an).

And just for good measure, he is threatening to pierce the corporate veil and hold the former CEO of Cyber Ninjas personally liable.  Judge Hannah "...said he wanted to "put Cyber Ninjas on notice" and if the company still doesn't comply, he would issue orders directly against the individuals responsible for providing the records."  He has already refused the request of the Cyber Ninja attorney, John Wilenchik, to withdraw from the case. 

The former CEO of Cyber Ninjas, Doug Logan, is claiming that all of the Cyber Ninja employees have let go and that he himself has resigned, but Judge John Hannah observes that this may be a  horse$hit excuse to avoid revealing that A.) Cyber Ninjas had no real plan and didn't know what they were doing, with the exception of B.) providing support for the Big Lie.

Local Maricopa County Republicans, who were attacked by Trump and Trump-supporting Republicans in the Arizona State Senate for executing and then defending a fair election in the county, have pointed out, "I told you so".

Ariz. judge finds Cyber Ninjas in contempt, orders $50K daily penalty (azcentral.com)

Arizona State Senate President Karen Fann (R) released an official statement in response that was a non sequitur attacking Maricopa County Republicans once again, and I am stupider as a result of having read it, so I won't link it here.

Obviously this is just part of the conspiracy of the deep state.

They can’t hand over evidence because that would just be burned up by George Soros’s lasers/s

Archived