US Politics: A Tale of two Joes.

A Horse Named Stranger

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

But then what if it's later found out they were deleting tweets before hiring people?  Which, btw, is entirely plausible, if not likely.  Then the story becomes "it's not about the tweets inasmuch as the administration trying to cover them up."  I dunno, if you really don't think it's a big deal, then you don't do something like delete them which strongly suggests you think it's a big deal.

Unless someone screenshotted it it's not going to come up.  And if it does you do the "I made a bad joke, realized it was bad, and deleted it.  I regret tweeting that and I'm sorry. " Instead of "I'm sorry to anyone I might have offended ".

He personally obviously doesn't think it was a big deal.  It just seems like this wasn't anticipated by either him or the administration.  

3 minutes ago, Lermo T.I. Krrrammpus said:

And if it does you do the "I made a bad joke, realized it was bad, and deleted it.  I regret tweeting that and I'm sorry. " Instead of "I'm sorry to anyone I might have offended ".

I suspect the people that are "outraged" by the tweets would be similarly "outraged" if he deleted them.  As for the non-apology apology, that's what I woulda done.  I don't think he needs to make a huge mea culpa for posting some stupid tweets.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

I suspect the people that are "outraged" by the tweets would be similarly "outraged" if he deleted them.  As for the non-apology apology, that's what I woulda done.  I don't think he needs to make a huge mea culpa for posting some stupid tweets.

Well, thinking about it a little more, I suppose he couldn't really say "I don't think undocumented people should be deported", so I guess his potential explanations to keep the job were kind of limited. 

Edit: like, at first I was confused by the Dreamers.vs undocumented choice of language, bit now it makes sense.  The administration DOES support deporting non-DACA undocumented people.  He can't really go publicly against that.

6 minutes ago, Lermo T.I. Krrrammpus said:

I'm sorry to anyone I may have offended because the new (well, relatively new) board update.

If I fuck up one more edit I'm calling on the new board update to resign in disgrace.  #Ranwaswrong.

Ron Johnson is expected to seek a third term in the Senate this year despite a prior vow to serve no more than two. 
His decision would give Republicans their top candidate in a critical swing state — but also give Democrats a motivating foe.

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/01-7-2022/johnsons-decision/

Here's the latest: Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) is expected to run for reelection this year, according to three GOP sources. That move will defy his past two-term pledge and set up a major test of Republicans' effort to retake the Senate majority.

Johnson’s anticipated decision to run again comes after months of speculation about his political future.

1 minute ago, Martell Spy said:

His decision would give Republicans their top candidate in a critical swing state — but also give Democrats a motivating foe.

Honestly at this point I think Johnson running is a better way to motivate the Dem base than if it was an open seat.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Ron Johnson is expected to seek a third term in the Senate this year despite a prior vow to serve no more than two. 

I cannot wait to vote for someone other than that moron.  I'd vote for a turnip, if that's who the Democrats were running.  

9 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I don't even live in Wisconsin and I'm still bitter as fuck that we went from having Russ Feingold in the Senate to a waste of oxygen like Ron Johnson. Hopefully now Johnson's luck has run out and it's time to give him the old heave-ho.

John Thune announced he's running for reelection as well.  That's good news for McConnell in his ongoing struggle with Trump/Trumpists.  Trump even tried to get Kristi Noem to run against Thune but she was like nah, yo.

How did it come to pass that we are in such dire straits that we end up pinning hopes on shitty cons like LCheney, Romney, McConnell, Rove, to be a bulkhead against the tide of Republifascists?

I've caught myself misremembering the W reign as "not so bad".

12 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

How did it come to pass that we are in such dire straits that we end up pinning hopes on shitty cons like LCheney, Romney, McConnell, Rove, to be a bulkhead against the tide of Republifascists?

The media does it for you.

Effin' media.

22 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Eh, I'm not really rooting for McConnell in the intraparty battle, at least at the moment.  And in a purely rational, zero-sum way one shouldn't - the more Trump influences the midterms, the better for the Dems.  As for the rest of the names listed, they can't do anything to stem the tide.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Because Trump and Trumpanistas are that bad.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Eh, I'm not really rooting for McConnell in the intraparty battle, at least at the moment.  And in a purely rational, zero-sum way one shouldn't - the more Trump influences the midterms, the better for the Dems.  As for the rest of the names listed, they can't do anything to stem the tide.

Didn’t people say the same about Trump during the 2016 election much to our eventual dismay?

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Didn’t people say the same about Trump during the 2016 election much to our eventual dismay?

That doesn't have much to do with the midterms.  Trumpist GOP nominees are far more likely to do worse in the general election than non-Trumpist GOP nominees.

Archived