US Politics: A Tale of two Joes.

A Horse Named Stranger

Looks like DeSantis is fighting back after Trump (indirectly) called him "gutless" earlier this week for refusing to say whether he got boosted or not.  DeSantis is now saying he disagreed with Trump locking down the country at the beginning of the pandemic, which I guess is a salient critique in their bizarro world?  Will Trump actually encounter real primary challengers?  Will it matter?  Ask again later!

In other primary news, a poll on Tuesday showed Allen West besting Greg Abbott in the Texas gubernatorial primary:

A Paradigm Partners poll published on Tuesday shows Abbott with just 32.52 percent support among likely Republican primary voters in the state, behind former Texas GOP chair Allen West on 38.36 percent.

The poll was conducted for West's campaign and differs starkly from other polls published late last year that appeared to show the Republican primary race was uncompetitive.

Take this with a huge grain of salt.  I've never heard of paradigm partners, I can't find them on 538's pollster ratings, and as the article mentions all other polls show Abbott with a monstrous lead.  Still, though, if West can somehow pull it off, that gives Beto an actual chance in the general.

Finally, checking out other polls, it looks like Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer is in a very strong position to be reelected.  Her approval has bounced back up to 56/39 (from 48/44 in the Fall) and she leads all potential challengers by at least ten percent, consistently garnering ~50% of the vote. 

I generally loathe all the "if Biden doesn't run we need to find someone better than Harris" chatter (Harris has at least just as good a chance as anyone else), but if Whitmer wins reelection easily in a bad-to-very bad cycle come November, she would be well-positioned to be Harris' most formidable challenger.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

CNN breaking news: all hostages safe. No news yet about the hostage taker. 

He's dead.

Three years ago nearly to the day I played a ceremonial role in my cousin's Bat Mitzvah. It was the first time I had been in a temple in years and I was disheartened to see armed security at all the entrances. Seems like that just has to be the norm now.

To pretty much nobody's surprise, the absolute top of the wealth distribution has done quite well for themselves during the pandemic and associated money printing (of various forms):

Using data compiled by Forbes, Oxfam says in a new report that the total wealth of billionaires jumped from $8.6 trillion in March 2020 to $13.8 trillion in November 2021, a bigger increase than in the previous 14 years combined. The world's richest 10 men saw their collective wealth more than double, shooting up by $1.3 billion a day.

It's kind of amazing how tilted the system is towards such accumulation. Not only do the richest benefit from the policies of the Federal Reserve, but, less obviously, a large fraction of the money given directly to poor and middle class people in the form of stimulus checks, child tax credits and the like also ultimately ends up in the accounts of the super rich (it just takes a while because it circulates through the economy a few times before settling).

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just found out it wasn’t Trump giving speeches on Jan. 6, it was JFK in disguise.

:eek:

I get confused - is it JFK they think is still alive or JFK Jr.?  Or both?

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Is he still Jr. with his father dead? Or with him dead?

I believe it’s his legal name. I didn’t cease being Milton Pennyfarce IV after the previous three Milton Pennyfarces were killed in a freak gasoline fight accident.

The civil war has started - between rival republican party factions in Idaho. Very long article. Does put forth the possibility of ruby red Idaho going purple in the not too distant future. Maybe add another Manchin type D to the Senate in a few years? Not sure if that would be a good or a bad thing...

Why There’s a Civil War in Idaho — Inside the GOP - POLITICO

12 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Is he still Jr. with his father dead? Or with him dead?

Well, yes, otherwise it gets pretty confusing.  Although I suppose that's appropriate given the context.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Thought this was interesting - a handful of West Virginia-associated sports figures wrote a letter to Manchin urging him to support voting rights.  They include Jerry West, Nick Saban, and Paul Tagliabue.

Saban is as full of shit as Manchin here. He's taking the same position that there should be support for the bill, but doesn't support changing the filibuster to pass it which is in effect not supporting it at all. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Saban is as full of shit as Manchin here. He's taking the same position that there should be support for the bill, but doesn't support changing the filibuster to pass it which is in effect not supporting it at all. 

So you're saying it's still ok to hate Nick Saban?  Phew.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Thought this was interesting - a handful of West Virginia-associated sports figures wrote a letter to Manchin urging him to support voting rights.  They include Jerry West, Nick Saban, and Paul Tagliabue.

It continues to astound that Manchin keeps on his course despite the pressure from literally everyone telling him they want him to do the right thing...he still won't do it.  Someone is spending a pretty penny on him and/or has the greatest blackmail material ever...

Archived