US Politics: A Tale of two Joes.

A Horse Named Stranger

Two major past backers of Kyrsten Sinema are threatening to end their support if she won't relent on the filibuster and get election reform done: EMILY's List and NARAL. 
A fresh sign of rising (and almost-surely-unsuccessful) pressure from the left.

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/01-18-2022/sinemas-backer-threat/

What happened: EMILY's List, which aims to elect pro-choice Democratic women and can be a key factor in party primaries, blasted out a statement Monday threatening to pull its support for Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) in the future if she doesn't support changes to the filibuster needed to enact an election reform bill.

18 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, yes, otherwise it gets pretty confusing.  Although I suppose that's appropriate given the context.

Up until about 30 years ago most etiquette books published in the USA claimed that when you had a family with John Smith Sr., John Smith Jr., John Smith III and John Smith IV, when the original Sr. died everyone else should move up a notch -- Jr. should call himself Sr., III should shift to Jr. amd IV should become III. That of course almost never happened in reality because it would be pretty confusing, as you point out, and I think the etiquette books have now stopped trying to get people to do that. But a lot of people over the age of 50 still remember that was supposedly the rule. 

14 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Two major past backers of Kyrsten Sinema are threatening to end their support if she won't relent on the filibuster and get election reform done: EMILY's List and NARAL. 
A fresh sign of rising (and almost-surely-unsuccessful) pressure from the left.

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/01-18-2022/sinemas-backer-threat/

I think the filibuster's days are numbered. I am not saying that number is 12 or even 112, but given that 48 of 50 Democrats are on board to narrow the practice--ten years ago you probably couldn't have found 25--I think it would not be wise to bet on the filibuster (as it is currently) seeing 2030.

I havent posted here for a while, but there definitely appears to be some sort of groundhog day effect in US politics. A new bill/plan is proposed, and then almost immediately shot down due to insufficient support (usually from the same recalcitrants). I have to ask, why are the positions of Sinema and Manchin such a surprise to Democrats? Dont they meet regularly for lunch or whatever, or at least chat to each other on the phone? It just seems so weird to have such a breakdown in communications between work colleagues who are after all from the same party.

4 hours ago, Ormond said:

Up until about 30 years ago most etiquette books published in the USA claimed that when you had a family with John Smith Sr., John Smith Jr., John Smith III and John Smith IV, when the original Sr. died everyone else should move up a notch

Huh, interesting.  The More You Know!

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I have to ask, why are the positions of Sinema and Manchin such a surprise to Democrats?

They aren't.  The Dem leadership aren't making such an exerted and public push for voting rights/filibuster change because they actually think they'll flip Manchin and Sinema.  They are doing it because they are under enormous pressure from a very large part of their base to try everything they can to pass the bill.  

6 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Wondering what to make of Biden saying he thinks Putin "will move in" re Ukraine, beyond taking that statement at absolute face value.

It was cringe worthy to hear it reported publicly the President made that statement.

Ukrainians were not happy to hear the flippancy and defeatist comments bandied about in a interview.

In other words, even if Biden fealt it was true, I'm not sure it was wise to respond accordingly. I believe there were reports stating Ukranian leadership was furious over it.

Eta:

Ah heres one report over at CNN-

Ukrainian officials tell CNN's Matthew Chance that they are "shocked" and "stunned" at President Biden's remarks during a White House press conference about Russian President Vladimir Putin.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It was cringe worthy to hear it reported publicly the President made that statement.

Ukrainians were not happy to hear the flippancy and defeatist comments bandied about in a interview.

In other words, even if Biden fealt it was true, I'm not sure it was wise to respond accordingly. I believe there were reports stating Ukranian leadership was furious over it.

Eta:

Ah heres one report over at CNN-

Ukrainian officials tell CNN's Matthew Chance that they are "shocked" and "stunned" at President Biden's remarks during a White House press conference about Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Biden was… overly casual in the way he discussed a serious geopolitical danger.  I was surprised by that.

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Biden was… overly casual in the way he discussed a serious geopolitical danger.  I was surprised by that.

It's one of the reasons we get the "ugly Americans" rap. People do not enjoy being made to feel marginalized.

In all likelihood though, Putin is poised to attack by the looks of it, I just think there's a sensitivity to the ways a President should discuss people's lives in the balance.

A "no comment" response or just less bluntless would've been better for the World. It caused an unnecessary offense amongst the people already feeling imperiled and of course another occasion for Biden's critics to pounce. 

What do they call it, self inflicted wounds?

12 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It's one of the reasons we get the "ugly Americans" rap. People do not enjoy being made to feel marginalized.

In all likelihood though, Putin is poised to attack by the looks of it, I just think there's a sensitivity to the ways a President should discuss people's lives in the balance.

A "no comment" response or just less bluntless would've been better for the World. It caused an unnecessary offense amongst the people already feeling imperiled and of course another occasion for Biden's critics to pounce. 

What do they call it, self inflicted wounds?

An unforced error.

Conservative propaganda infesting my Facebook has taken a new twist. Past couple days there have been a slew of posts announcing 'Lee-Jackson Day,' described as patriots, heroes, and fine men worth emulating.  Lots of posters taking pride in their confederate ancestors, along with the usual arguments about 'slavery not so bad,' and the 'civil war wasn't really about slavery.'

2 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Conservative propaganda infesting my Facebook has taken a new twist. Past couple days there have been a slew of posts announcing 'Lee-Jackson Day,' described as patriots, heroes, and fine men worth emulating.  Lots of posters taking pride in their confederate ancestors, along with the usual arguments about 'slavery not so bad,' and the 'civil war wasn't really about slavery.'

And on that note:

2 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Apparently Milwaukee is a finalist for the RNC in '24 and I've never felt the need to win the lottery more than I do right now...

Pittsburgh is one of the final four as well.  It's on!  Winner gets Topanga.

Archived