US Politics: A Tale of two Joes.

A Horse Named Stranger

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I don't think the 2016 primary is relevant at all to a one-term president running again after losing reelection.  What I do think the polling makes clear is there's an opportunity for another candidate to make a substantial challenge to Trump.  I still think Trump will win, sure, but (a) I don't think it's as much of a certainty as most others. 

And, more interestingly, (b) as Walter mentions it might behoove many potential candidates with eventual presidential aspirations to run for second in 2024 rather than waiting for 2028.  This is, of course, especially true with the GOP's habit of nominating the guy who came in second last time.  Hell, Ted Cruz cited this a few weeks ago for why he should be the nominee.

I deem it highly unlikely Trump will run in 2024 even if he is still somehow drawing breath. Main reason is because he could *lose*, which is something that Trump cannot abide.   

8 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I deem it highly unlikely Trump will run in 2024 even if he is still somehow drawing breath. Main reason is because he could *lose*, which is something that Trump cannot abide.   

Are you me from 2015-2016? I think I might have said something along those lines.

Yeah, Trump loses all the time. He loses in court, he loses in business, he lost votes in Congress, he lost the last election. He's not vulnerable to losing, because he simply writes off any loss as evidence of how everyone's persecuting him.

12 minutes ago, mormont said:

He's not vulnerable to losing, because he simply writes off any loss as evidence of how everyone's persecuting him.

*And just pretends he somehow actually won anyway. 

I know his niece has said the same thing, but it's rather odd to think Trump wouldn't run in 2024 because he could lose.  He has a much better chance of winning the nomination in 2024 than he did in 2016.  And if he does win the nomination, everybody knows he's just going to claim he won the general no matter what the actual results are.

"Behind closed doors, Justice Clarence Thomas’s wife is working with many groups directly involved in controversial cases before the Court."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/01/31/is-ginni-thomas-a-threat-to-the-supreme-court

.... The claim that the Justices’ opinions are politically neutral is becoming increasingly hard to accept, especially from Thomas, whose wife, Virginia (Ginni) Thomas, is a vocal right-wing activist. She has declared that America is in existential danger because of the “deep state” and the “fascist left,” which includes “transsexual fascists.” Thomas, a lawyer who runs a small political-lobbying firm, Liberty Consulting, has become a prominent member of various hard-line groups. Her political activism has caused controversy for years. For the most part, it has been dismissed as the harmless action of an independent spouse. But now the Court appears likely to secure victories for her allies in a number of highly polarizing cases—on abortion, affirmative action, and gun rights.

Many Americans first became aware of Ginni Thomas’s activism on January 6, 2021. That morning, before the Stop the Steal rally in Washington, D.C., turned into an assault on the Capitol resulting in the deaths of at least five people, she cheered on the supporters of President Donald Trump who had gathered to overturn Biden’s election. In a Facebook post that went viral, she linked to a news item about the protest, writing, “love maga people!!!!” Shortly afterward, she posted about Ronald Reagan’s famous “A Time for Choosing” speech. Her next status update said, “god bless each of you standing up or praying.” Two days after the insurrection, she added a disclaimer to her feed, noting that she’d written the posts “before violence in US Capitol.” (The posts are no longer public.)

Later that January, the Washington Post revealed that she had also been agitating about Trump’s loss on a private Listserv, Thomas Clerk World, which includes former law clerks of Justice Thomas’s. The online discussion had been contentious. John Eastman, a former Thomas clerk and a key instigator of the lie that Trump actually won in 2020, was on the same side as Ginni Thomas, and he drew rebukes. According to the Post, Thomas eventually apologized to the group for causing internal rancor. Artemus Ward, a political scientist at Northern Illinois University and a co-author of “Sorcerers’ Apprentices,” a history of Supreme Court clerks, believes that the incident confirmed her outsized role. “Virginia Thomas has direct access to Thomas’s clerks,” Ward said. Clarence Thomas is now the Court’s senior member, having served for thirty years, and Ward estimates that there are “something like a hundred and twenty people on that Listserv.” In Ward’s view, they comprise “an élite right-wing commando movement.” Justice Thomas, he says, doesn’t post on the Listserv, but his wife “is advocating for things directly.” Ward added, “It’s unprecedented. I have never seen a Justice’s wife as involved.” ....

9 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Are you me from 2015-2016? I think I might have said something along those lines.

Nope. I'm the one who was saying Clinton was in extremely serious trouble six months prior to the election.  I'd also point out that Trump treated his entire campaign back then as publicity stunt - he didn't expect to win.

Strange. Now I'm getting spam emails from Texas conservative groups worried that the state could be flipped. Far and away, the most likely option is its money-grubbing hype. Or just maybe somebody is concerned about internal poll numbers...

On 1/22/2022 at 12:45 PM, Zorral said:

"Behind closed doors, Justice Clarence Thomas’s wife is working with many groups directly involved in controversial cases before the Court."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/01/31/is-ginni-thomas-a-threat-to-the-supreme-court

So much this.

I have never bought any excuses for Thomas being anything but a stooge for his wife.

Gotta hand it to Trump, he still can be so amusing:

Former President Trump slammed the Jan. 6 committee investigating the Capitol insurrection after it asked his daughter Ivanka Trump to sit for an interview.

“It's a very unfair situation for my children. Very, very unfair,” he told the Washington Examiner in an interview for an op-ed published Friday.

“It's a disgrace, what's going on. They're using these things to try and get people's minds off how incompetently our country is being run. And they don't care. They'll go after children,” he said.

Feel free to choose your own joke about Trump referring to his 40 year old daughter as a child.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:47 PM, ThinkerX said:

This depends on what Trump believes, not what you or I or the gatepost believes. If all of his surrouncing sycophants tell him he will win, that is what he will believe and so he will run. 

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

The mainstream media and how it enables the reichwing and fascists, all in one place.

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2022/01/to-understand-white-people-is-to-forgive-them-the-never-ending-story

problem is, those on the far right regard the mainstream media as nothing more than the tool of the democratic party and far left liberal establishment. 

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

problem is, those on the far right regard the mainstream media as nothing more than the tool of the democratic party and far left liberal establishment. 

That's no justification for the mainstream media's behavior of pearl clutching at the very whiff of what might possibly be left of reichwing center because reasons, while giving all possible passes at what is really happening and being done by the reichwing.

Looks like affirmative action may be the next thing on this SCOTUS' chopping block:

The Supreme Court announced Monday it will reconsider race-based affirmative action in college admissions, a move that could eliminate campus practices that have widely benefitted Black and Hispanic students.

The justices said they will hear challenges to policies at Harvard and the University of North Carolina that use students' race among many criteria to decide who should gain a coveted place in an entering class.

The cases would be heard in the session that begins next October, with a decision likely by June 2023.

Also, SCOTUS refused to hear an appeal by Kevin McCarthy on the House's proxy voting rules.  I'm not sure why McCarthy is still pursuing this - his members (including some of his leadership) have enjoyed the practice just as much as the Dems.  But it interesting that SCOTUS' refusal affirms a lower court ruling that courts can't adjudicate the internal rules of Congress.  Such a rationale may prove salient in future filibuster changes.

Archived