Other than Oberyn would could have slayed the Mountain ?

Other than Oberyn Martell who showed during his fight with Gregor Clegane that he could perfectly defeat the Mountain and could have killed him if he hadn't been so obsessed by getting the confession of Elia's murder out of him and hadn't exposed himself so stupidely, whose ASOIAF characters from all times do you think would be or have been able of beating and killing Gregor despite his superhuman strength and thoughness and surprising speed ?

Which ones are you completely certain that they could slay the Mountain ? 

Which ones are you less sure about but would still give them their chance against Gregor ?

It's skill, but also the importance of a custom plan for fighting the Mountain.  Oberyn used a spear.  So a skilled user of the same weapon, say an Unsullied, should be able to apply the same technique.  Neither Oberyn nor an Unsullied are guaranteed success.  The Mountain always has the edge in the fight.  But the use of the spear compensates for the Mountain's size advantage.  Jaime would have less of a chance because he uses the same weapon as the Mountain.  

2 hours ago, James West said:

It's skill, but also the importance of a custom plan for fighting the Mountain.  Oberyn used a spear.  So a skilled user of the same weapon, say an Unsullied, should be able to apply the same technique.  Neither Oberyn nor an Unsullied are guaranteed success.  The Mountain always has the edge in the fight.  But the use of the spear compensates for the Mountain's size advantage.  Jaime would have less of a chance because he uses the same weapon as the Mountain.  

To be fair, the Unsullied are not known for being individual fighters, their strength is fighting as a unit. 

Other than the obvious names, there is a younger generation of fighters that is obviously hugely skilled, just minus the longstanding reputations of their elders. We know them: Hotah, Middle Liddle, Garland Tyrell, etc. These men could absolutely pose a danger (not favored) to the Mountain.

15 hours ago, James West said:

Simeon Star Eyes!  

Clegane could have been poisoned or smothered in his sleep at pretty much any time.  He should have been and any group of characters could have pulled it off without great prowess.  The only fighting character I think could have kicked his miserable butt is Maegor the Cruel.   Equal amounts of insanity and rage between those boys.  

With a sentient VS sword, Sandor or Jamie with both hands or even Jorah Mormont would have that little extra something to ruin The Mountain's day.  

I kinda hate the mountain because he just takes me right out of a relatively grounded story. The guy's 8 foot tall, fast and muscular, I don't think anyone in existence could beat him in plate armour without authorial fiat. Guy could just bull rush you and beat you to death because plate armour is actually incredibly effective, it's harder for my suspension of disbelief to handwave useless armour like it usually is when the guy's also a giant that's relatively unencumbered by his size, he should be a tank. 

He just clangs his sword around when he should be leveraging his ridiculous mass covered head to toe in steel to just pummel then grapple people into the dirt. I know it's fantasy and I still enjoy it I'd just like it if in fantasy people would fight in armour as if they were ya know, wearing armour. Especially when they're an 8 foot 400 pound gorilla-man that's pussyfooting around a spear.  

Based on the symbolism, I would bet money on Ser Bronn of the Blackwater. Ser Gregor is a green character. He can be defeated (temporarily, at least) by a brown or black character. Ser Bronn is both brown and black (or first one and then the other). 

Another possibility for the demise of Ser Gregor would be an angry, annihilistic mob:

The priestess in her torn robes, impaled upon a stake and attended by a cloud of glistening green flies.

(ADwD, The Windblown - Quentyn Martell)

The cobbler told them how the body of the Butcher King had been disinterred and clad in copper armor, after the Green Grace of Astapor had a vision that he would deliver them from the Yunkai'i. Armored and stinking, the corpse of Cleon the Great was strapped onto the back of a starving horse to lead the remnants of his new Unsullied on a sortie, but they rode right into the iron teeth of a legion from New Ghis and were cut down to a man.

"Afterward the Green Grace was impaled upon a stake in the Plaza of Punishment and left until she died. In the pyramid of Ullhor, the survivors had a great feast that lasted half the night, and washed the last of their food down with poison wine so none need wake again come morning. Soon after came the sickness, a bloody flux that killed three men of every four, until a mob of dying men went mad and slew the guards on the main gate."

The old brickmaker broke in to say, "No. That was the work of healthy men, running to escape the flux."

(ADwD, Daenerys V)

I believe that the stake death of this Green Grace (there is more than one Green Grace in the books) is a parallel to Ser Gregor. 

1 hour ago, Trigger Warning said:

I kinda hate the mountain because he just takes me right out of a relatively grounded story. The guy's 8 foot tall, fast and muscular, I don't think anyone in existence could beat him in plate armour without authorial fiat. Guy could just bull rush you and beat you to death because plate armour is actually incredibly effective, it's harder for my suspension of disbelief to handwave useless armour like it usually is when the guy's also a giant that's relatively unencumbered by his size, he should be a tank. 

He just clangs his sword around when he should be leveraging his ridiculous mass covered head to toe in steel to just pummel then grapple people into the dirt. I know it's fantasy and I still enjoy it I'd just like it if in fantasy people would fight in armour as if they were ya know, wearing armour. Especially when they're an 8 foot 400 pound gorilla-man that's pussyfooting around a spear.  

He wins approximately 7/10 against anybody we've met so far.  It comes down to the choice of weapons.  The opponent must use weapons which compensates for the reach and the armor of the giant.  We have seen where armor can be defeated.  Bronn did it against Ser Vardis.  Oberyn bested Gregor.  It can be accomplished.  A very skilled archer could do it from a safe distance.  Valyrian steel or even tempered steel arrowheads launched at a high velocity should penetrate chain mail. 

The game is to avoid a contest of strength.  Oberyn was fighting the beast in a controlled environment.  A setting where he has more room could have worked better for him. 

1 hour ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

He wins approximately 7/10 against anybody we've met so far.  It comes down to the choice of weapons.  The opponent must use weapons which compensates for the reach and the armor of the giant.  We have seen where armor can be defeated.  Bronn did it against Ser Vardis.  Oberyn bested Gregor.  It can be accomplished.  A very skilled archer could do it from a safe distance.  Valyrian steel or even tempered steel arrowheads launched at a high velocity should penetrate chain mail. 

The game is to avoid a contest of strength.  Oberyn was fighting the beast in a controlled environment.  A setting where he has more room could have worked better for him. 

I know that's how GRRM wrote it but the point is avoiding a contest of strength is much much easier said than done and people in armour in basically all media still fight like they're afraid to intentionally take any kind of blow on the 99% of their body that's incredibly well protected and rarely try to close the distance to grapple. GRRM's fights aren't really any more grounded than the fights of other fantasy writers when it comes to how people fight in armour despite him showing that it can turn away blows which is fine but I'd like it if it came into play more in a series that tries to ground a lot of other things. 

Gregor lets Oberyn poke at him whilst swinging this massive sword around with a massive redundant shield on his other hand and missing because he's fighting like he can't just charge at Oberyn and grab him for fear of this spear that he's just being poked with constantly regardless and Oberyn would have to be magically fast to avoid him at such a close range. It's fantasy fighting which like I said I have no problem with but the mountain's so big and GRRM goes on about his armour so much that it just kinda takes me outta the moment when he's just swinging this sword around like a slow video game golem boss. 

Archived